Winter Tires

I purchased set of Blizzak LM-22s that match the stock tire size and speed rating and mounted them on the stock rims. They cost $1100 installed which is a little pricey but it has been well worth it. I never had a problem getting around at any point and even went on the shoulder or median to pass other FWD cars who werent doing as well.

In the market for some winter tires & wheels as well. Did the whole TireRack thing and it's great they have all that selection but their shipping is expensive!

I've been told that 16s will fit and that is what the TireRack website says as well. Can anyone verify if 16s will fit on a MS3?

16's

I have 16's on my 08Spd3...fit fine. Picked them up from Tire-Rack in Febuary.

I actually never saw my car with the 18's. Showed up at the dealer and had the brand-new SportEdition 16's in the back of my old car. Dealer pulled the old car (Trade-In) around back into the garage, mounted the 16s on the car and put the 18's in bags into the hatch...

Glad I had snows...hit a seriously nasty snow/slush/ice storm on the way home that day.

Attachments

• Spd316Winters.JPG
    Spd316Winters.JPG
    77.3 KB · Views: 269
I'm really interested to find out how my car does in the snow this winter with the stock bridgestones. I hope we don't get any snow though, I'd rather not have it

SportEdition 16's - What are these?

Whats the hot Mazda 16" wheel that will fit a MS3?

Don't want T'Rack steelies if I don't have to.

I'm really interested to find out how my car does in the snow this winter with the stock bridgestones. I hope we don't get any snow though, I'd rather not have it

Wishful thinking on your part. I don't know how the winters are where you are but we get a lot of rain and the odd sprinkling of snow here and there and even driving through heavy rain with the stock 18s is a bit iffy. They aren't very good in standing water and from what I can tell, don't have the greatest hydroplane resistance. That and the fact that I gotta hit the slopes every winter.

Last edited:
SportEdition 16's - What are these?

Whats the hot Mazda 16" wheel that will fit a MS3?

Don't want T'Rack steelies if I don't have to.

Not too sure what are the SportEditions but they could be the ones in the pic that SpeedMica posted (16" snowflakes?).

TBH, there aren't any "hot" 16s for the MS3. The wheel wells are just too big for dinky 16s to look good. I'd rather just rock steelies than try to make 16s look good. Hell, I might even grab a set of spinner hubs just for s**** & giggles!

I have a set of regular 3 OEM 16's in my garage as well...when i change my oil this weekend i'll try to bolt them on and see if they'll work on a Speed 3.

Sport Editions are the generic alloys from TireRack http://www.tirerack.com/wheels/sportedition/sportedition.jsp . They didn't have any steelies when I was ordering...looks weren't important...being able to drive from Rochester back to PA and drive around for the rest of the winter was...

If it snows at all, don't drive the car. By far the worst Tires I've ever driven on in the snow

I think I could handle it. I mean I had bald tires on my civic and it did fine and it didn't even have an lsd

I picked up a set of michelin X-ice for my stockers for about 683 shipped from tirerack. I plan on making my stock wheels into my winter set, and just getting new ones next spring. Sure you pay more to get 18" winters but it's less hassle if you plan on replacing your stockers anyway like me.

Hmm... I have heard they dont. Try them.

Your stock tires are not designed to work in temps below 36 degrees. If the DC area gets that cold then you are not safe. Trust me, these stock tires do not work in snow,ice or cold temps. They will propel you but they will not stop you.

Hear, schmear, have you done a search on here yet? It is conclusive! 16"s fit!!!

I have 16's on my 08Spd3...fit fine. Picked them up from Tire-Rack in Febuary.

I actually never saw my car with the 18's. Showed up at the dealer and had the brand-new SportEdition 16's in the back of my old car. Dealer pulled the old car (Trade-In) around back into the garage, mounted the 16s on the car and put the 18's in bags into the hatch...

Glad I had snows...hit a seriously nasty snow/slush/ice storm on the way home that day.

That's the wheels I have on mine. Here's a 16 inch option for the op that doesn't want steelies.

i've been going to the same place for years for all of my tire needs. i chose them for their best-in-town prices, service, and tire recommendations.

i called them up the other day about winter tires/wheels. basically i'm looking at $800 for either 16" steelies+Dunlop Winter Sport 3D's or 18" of the same tires (no wheels). so it's a wash to go either way, with the exception of $25 per winter/summer swap on the 18" wheels.

the guy also mentioned that i should retain much more of the handling performance with 18's than 16's, and the 18's were his recommendation.

so the 18's is what i'm going to go with, seeing as there is no price difference. i could possibly save a few bucks by going with Tire Rack, but they won't give me the service that my local place does. if the winter months chew up the stock wheels (which i doubt..?), then it's just an excuse to upgrade to a nice summer wheel.

17's don't have steelies available, at least as far as i know, and 17" alloys + winter tires would overshoot the $800 by a wide margin.

Handling performance is the least of your worries in the winter. I used to think this but you won't notice any difference when driving slow in the winter anyways. 17" may be the best compromise if you're worried about handling.
The snow and salt will eat your stockers in one or two seasons.

Mazda 3 16's

Regular 3 16"s also clear the front brakes. Bolted up and spun freely, didn't try the rear, but no reason i can think of why the wouldn't fit back there...

No comments about my muddy wheel wells...the last 50 yards of road before my house is dirt, and they just leveled it...(encourage)

Attachments

• OEMz316sOnSpd3.JPG
    OEMz316sOnSpd3.JPG
    100.7 KB · Views: 277
Back