Window Tints (?)

Ceramic is the best film you can get when it comes to blocking heat, but you have to pay 3x the carbon price for it... To generalize, tints come in three tiers: basic carbon, high performance, and ceramic. I had the basic carbon (25% on front & 5% rest) put on my first car for around $190. When I took our family car to get tinted I had them install high performance (35% front & 20 rest) for around $270 and I immediately noticed the difference in quality and better performance in glare and heat reduction. They offered ceramic also but was quoted $500+ hahahaha right...

Link to specs for all there types of film for Solarguard. http://www.solargard.com/US/Auto/Performance They also have metallized films which provide heat reduction as much as ceramics but due to their metallic properties they interfere with gps, cell, and other electronic signals.

Their site doesn't come right out and state which is Carbon, Ceramic etc.. Figured out which ones were metallized.

lr iphone pic 041712.JPG
My preference is just 35% tint on the fronts, that's what I did on my white CX-5. The rears are plenty dark (at about 20% tint) and I don't want to reduce my ability to see out at night.

Specifically I'm using 35% 3M Colorstable on fronts, no problem with interference, looks great.

(Factory rear tint is plenty dark so left alone).

The only films I would really consider are:

Ultra Performance - ceramic
HP Quantum - metallic hp film
HP Supreme - semi-metallic hp film
Supreme - high performance film
HP Charcoal - metallic charcoal film
NR Charcoal - your basic charcoal film

I have the same, left the rears alone just got 35% Johnson Film in the front, looks great.

35%+ works well in states where you are not supposed to tint the front windows, (not that it's truly legal in CA)

I got my CX5 tinted yesterday, 20% all around. Looks really good! very happy with the job.

Forgive me if I'm asking a stupid question that's already been answered. Don't all the windows come a bit tinted except for the fronts? If so, is it easy to have the fronts match the rest?

Forgive me if I'm asking a stupid question that's already been answered. Don't all the windows come a bit tinted except for the fronts? If so, is it easy to have the fronts match the rest?

The windows are not tinted on the Sport trim.

I just got 15% ceramic on the rear windows on mine. Too chicken to tint the front

The windows are not tinted on the Sport trim.

I just got 15% ceramic on the rear windows on mine. Too chicken to tint the front

15% is plenty dark for rears. Consider 50% for fronts, no hassles from CA cops that way, anything darker has risk.

i just got my window tints yesterday! and i'm happy with the outcome! i have a black Mica Cx-5, and i got 35% in the front and 20% in the back!! and very happy with the outcome!

i just got my window tints yesterday! and i'm happy with the outcome! i have a black Mica Cx-5, and i got 35% in the front and 20% in the back!! and very happy with the outcome!

Good combo for tint, post up a pic when you get a chance. Should look especially good on black CX-5.

35%+ works well in states where you are not supposed to tint the front windows, (not that it's truly legal in CA)
In NJ you can get a ticket... I know a friend did for tinted front windows.. had to actually peel them off to avoid future hassle.

In NJ you can get a ticket... I know a friend did for tinted front windows.. had to actually peel them off to avoid future hassle.

Hasn't been a problem for me yet :) *knocks on wood*

I have 35% on the fronts and the factory 20% that came on the backs and rear window. Looks so good on a Black CX-5.

Same deal in CA, law says not supposed to tint 2 front windows (not that it stops anybody from doing it). For those us with friends in law enforcement, the fix-it tickets can be signed-off with no further action.

35% is marginal on fronts, 50% on fronts gets no attention from police.

Hasn't been a problem for me yet :) *knocks on wood*

I have 35% on the fronts and the factory 20% that came on the backs and rear window. Looks so good on a Black CX-5.
Gio - good for you! Hopefully you never will :)
Sometimes you just never know - my dad got a ticket for GPS attached to the windshield - apparently in NJ you cannot mount anything on the windshield anymore, it obstructs your view...
Anyway I found this website : http://www.tintlaws.com/laws/NJ/ .. just good to know.

Edited to add - I am sure your tints look great though!! :)

Just got mine tinted to 22% all the way around, looks awesome!

Personally I would never tint the fronts a different percent than the rear, just looks so unbalanced and not clean IMO.

Personally I would never tint the fronts a different percent than the rear, just looks so unbalanced and not clean IMO.

Agreed, that's why I do my sport sedans all in a single % tint level.

But with SUV's (and trying to stay somewhat legal), a bit of tint on the front sides still looks far better than stock, less contrast from front at 35% to back (factory about 20%) . And with SUV's whatever aftermarket tint used will never perfectly match the OEM/factory tint impregnated in the rear glass*.

*Note: Comment applies to higher-end models of SUVs with dark tinted/"privacy" rear glass as standard equipment.

Last edited:
Back