What's the tire consensus?

:
19 CX-5 Signature
Will be needing tires on our 19 Signature soon - what's the current word on replacement brands/models? Will be checking out Tire Rack reviews but figured I'd ask here. Have oem Toyos and won't go with them again. Kinda partial to General Altimax from past cars. Thanks

Depends on what your looking for.

Do you want all season, summer and winters or all terrain?

I run Firestone AT(now AT2's) all terrains in the summer and sometimes year round.

For winter, I've run either Nokian or Michelin winters, though I'm partial toward the Nokian's more.

If your looking for All terrains, Falken AT trails and AT3W are also good.

Others will have to guide you on summer tires or all-season year rounds.

Not to mention, every brand has it's share of greats and flops.

Along with the tire rack ratings, check out consumer reports ratings and forum advice.

You can feel the inflation by visiting tirerack.com...
What used to be $150, now costs $200.

Tirerack.com is a great site to do research on tires.
Tire selection is a personal choice depending on what is important to you.

My cars only get Michelin. And I get them from a Club Store (Sam's, Costco, BJ's, etc) so the price is pretty much the same as lesser tires from a "normal" tire store.
Yep, that's what I'm finding. I'm probably going w the Michelin CC2 @ Sam's.
(unless I can convince my wife - it's her car - to trade it on a CX-50 ;))

thanks all.

I’ve been using tirerack for a long time. I would purposely go to a chain store and get the manager to price match (or get a discount) the cost of the tires. Of course I would have them mailed to the store and have them mounted, balanced, and save the best tire of the bunch as a full spare (non AWD).

Mom and pop shops would not do it.

I’ve been using tirerack for a long time. I would purposely go to a chain store and get the manager to price match (or get a discount) the cost of the tires. Of course I would have them mailed to the store and have them mounted, balanced, and save the best tire of the bunch as a full spare (non AWD).

Mom and pop shops would not do it.
That sometimes depends.

You might pay more per tire but...
If you build up a rapport with the mom and pop shoppe, might be free mount and balance or a minimal mount and balance charge, they might fix your wife's flat for free or rotate your tires for free. Compared to big shops who charge for tire installation or packages, etc.

Plus you local might be right down the road with little to no waiting time. Any time I've went to a big box, I've had to travel 1/2 hour and wait for an hour or two. My time is more valuable to me. So sometimes it equals out in the end.

For me the $$ difference is negligible but I save time which is very valuable to me.

You might have to check with several local shoppes to see which 1 or 2 shoppes work best for you but once that's done, no more searching around for the best tire prices every season, etc.

The only time I might travel or order online is if I need a specific tire that you can't get at one of your locals like nokian snow tires. They have all other major brands but no locals have nokian. Sometimes I'll get the Michelin winters locally but I now prefer the Nokian's.

Last edited:
Also, ime, I stick with tires that grip. They may wear faster but like hugging the road.

Ime, these tires never failede and always grip,:
Firestone, Michelin and Nokian.

These tires always seemed slippy and loose:
MasterCraft, Goodyear, General, Toyo, and Pep Boys Futura cheapo's.

Tires that seem like a good try : Falkens

Granted things may change over time. But I've come to rely on my main 3.

The consensus is there is no consensus, that is why there are a lot of brands and tire types...
True but aside from the steep price, you rarely hear anyone including myself say anything negative concerning Michelin products. So there is consensus that Michelin products are good and also consensus that Michelin products are extremely overpriced.

Myself, I now prefer Nokian over Michelin winters as they have more bite. I still like Michelin's though.

As for all terrains, I prefer Firestone all terrains and if switching would switch to Falkens all terrains.

If I was looking for a good summer touring tire or all-season then Michelin would be my goto.

And it seems a lot of forum members also prefer Michelin products.

So while everyone may not like Firestone, it seems you do have a consensus on Michelin's.

also consensus that Michelin products are extremely overpriced.

Not if you get them from a Club store instead of a tire store. Very competitive prices on Michelins there. Fact is, if you find a weekend where they have a buy 3 get one free sale, Michelins at a club store can cost less than other major brands purchased at a tire shop.

you
If they were overpriced, no one would be buying them. You get what you pay for.
My bad. Should have wrote "expensive"

While Michelin winters performed well, Nokian had always had more bite, felt more grip in bad conditions and always performed well outside winter including in rain/wet roads for slightly less $$. For me Michelin's are a great tire but edged out by the Nokian's.

Likewise if i wantrd an all-season I would pay for the Michelin's.

Last edited:
CUV All terrains
Nitto Nomad Grapplers, 235/60r18 107V XL

Attachments

• 35A42B16-B1ED-4C2C-805D-7DCAAF63D8D1.jpeg
    35A42B16-B1ED-4C2C-805D-7DCAAF63D8D1.jpeg
    150.5 KB · Views: 118
I live along the Gulf Coast so I don't need winter tires. Therefore when I replace the Toyo tires I will be going with a performance summer tire for high dry/wet traction and good handling. Will slso be getting wider wheels to run wider rubber again for better grip so I can better Zoom Zoom through corners.

Back