What have you done to your MSP today?

Put the new plugs in and went for a test. Didn't even make it 1/10 of a mile before it started its s*** again. No cel just the sound and feel of power loss after intially idling well at startup. Now the vac is down to -16 from its normal reading. So once again it will stay parked until I have the time to figure it out.

Have you checked or cleaned the EGR?

Put the new plugs in and went for a test. Didn't even make it 1/10 of a mile before it started its s*** again. No cel just the sound and feel of power loss after intially idling well at startup. Now the vac is down to -16 from its normal reading. So once again it will stay parked until I have the time to figure it out.

check your spark plug gaps. I had a similar issue and it actually lost power when it went into boost till about 4.5k rpms

i knew id regret selling this stupid thing but if anyone has an ssafc v1 or 2 they dont want, id be interesed in one. an ftc would be good too but getting a little spendy. i want to put a haltech in this thing, but for the short term i need it to not suck back $60/500km.
cleaned out the trunk today.. lots of water in there and some rust developing around the plug in the spare tire. some of the lip where the rubber seal is is gone now. ill have to get in there with a stripper and seal it up me thinks. underside of the car looks pretty good. a ltitle bit of surface rust on the rear subframe but floor pan looks good. boosted, you say you have the caliper i need, but do you still have the mz6 kit by chance? i might see if someone in the us wants to dropship me a rockauto order as their international shippins is a little ludicrous. being in canada kinda sucks for ordering things in general, but trying to get rare car parts... oh gawd...

oh, question... i was cleaning the trunk and interior and noticed a unloomed bunch of wires strung to the back of the car, if i could trace those up front can i remove them? seemd they go to the old sub that would have been in the trunk but i never got with the car.

check your spark plug gaps. I had a similar issue and it actually lost power when it went into boost till about 4.5k rpms

hey man you still have it parked in the garage? I just put a fresh set in the other day gapped to spec. my power loss is instant now pre cleaning my egr. when I moved the car into the bay it ran really rough and seemed to have even less Vac.

When I installed the forged engine in 1345 it had a shorter PS belt that bypassed the AC compressor, somehow it threw that belt today. Luckily it stayed inside the engine bay but it was no fun driving home without power steering. Went ahead and put the old belt on and checked the AC system for a charge. I haven't used the AC in at least 2 years when it stopped working and of course there was no charge. Hooked up a can of freon that was almost empty and the compressor actually kicked on and blew cold air. Going to go ahead and charge it and see if it lasts. It will be nice having a working defroster this winter.

And on 1574 the AC compressor which always made a little noise started making a really loud noise today. Checked it and the clutch fell completely off, so I guess I am going to the JY to grab another one tomorrow. Threw the short PS belt on this car to bypass the compressor so it wouldn't make that awful (and embarrassing) noise anymore.

And in other news both cars have cracked callaway manifolds and although both have been welded they both cracked again and leak so I am planning to buy an aftermarket mani once and for all for 1345. May pick up a low mileage T25 locally as well. Motor has about 45K, Trans has less than 50k and with a new turbo the car should last me quite a while.

Maybe try cleaning the MAF as well

I did that last week. Earlier today I did the egr cleaning. No change whatsoever in the results. The car starts and will idle roughly. It sounds like its running on 2 cylinders. Makes no sense after replacing wires, coils, plugs, O2 sensor, maf & egr cleaning. Compression check was fine as well. No CEL to read. Vac increased slightly but is still below normal range. I'm stumped once again!

I did that last week. Earlier today I did the egr cleaning. No change whatsoever in the results. The car starts and will idle roughly. It sounds like its running on 2 cylinders. Makes no sense after replacing wires, coils, plugs, O2 sensor, maf & egr cleaning. Compression check was fine as well. No CEL to read. Vac increased slightly but is still below normal range. I'm stumped once again!

Do you have a relocated maf?

Try changing the coils with the old coils, check the wiring to the coil packs and ensure the wires are seated well, both at the coil and on the plug. Any leaks in the charge piping?

When I installed the forged engine in 1345 it had a shorter PS belt that bypassed the AC compressor, somehow it threw that belt today. Luckily it stayed inside the engine bay but it was no fun driving home without power steering. Went ahead and put the old belt on and checked the AC system for a charge. I haven't used the AC in at least 2 years when it stopped working and of course there was no charge. Hooked up a can of freon that was almost empty and the compressor actually kicked on and blew cold air. Going to go ahead and charge it and see if it lasts. It will be nice having a working defroster this winter.

And on 1574 the AC compressor which always made a little noise started making a really loud noise today. Checked it and the clutch fell completely off, so I guess I am going to the JY to grab another one tomorrow. Threw the short PS belt on this car to bypass the compressor so it wouldn't make that awful (and embarrassing) noise anymore.

And in other news both cars have cracked callaway manifolds and although both have been welded they both cracked again and leak so I am planning to buy an aftermarket mani once and for all for 1345. May pick up a low mileage T25 locally as well. Motor has about 45K, Trans has less than 50k and with a new turbo the car should last me quite a while.

I had a chronic issue with the belt being thrown from the PS after removal of the A/C on my the last built engine. Happened three or four times. Tom was having the same issue I believe. Once I installed the latest engine, it didn't happen before or after I reinstalled the A/C.

i have some work to do this weekend. The LX is damn near put back together- so I want to focus on getting that finished if possible.

I do have stuff to install on the msp, before the engine and trans go back into the car. I have new axle seals, clutch, front and rear mains, and i need to do a timing belt and water pump. Brakes also have to be put back on both cars.. lots of work to do, who knows what I'll accomplish, my house keeps coming first.

I had a chronic issue with the belt being thrown from the PS after removal of the A/C on my the last built engine. Happened three or four times. Tom was having the same issue I believe. Once I installed the latest engine, it didn't happen before or after I reinstalled the A/C.

The belt seems like it rides very close to the edge of the pulley, I tightened it a little tighter so it should stay.
How did you tune for fuel cut with the AFC? I turned the boost down to 15 but it still hits fuel cut in cooler weather.

The belt seems like it rides very close to the edge of the pulley, I tightened it a little tighter so it should stay.
How did you tune for fuel cut with the AFC? I turned the boost down to 15 but it still hits fuel cut in cooler weather.
My belt walk problem was due to some misalignment at the pivot bolt for the ps pump. Loosen everything, run a straight edge across multiple pulleys, and then tighten everything back up.

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Try changing the coils with the old coils, check the wiring to the coil packs and ensure the wires are seated well, both at the coil and on the plug. Any leaks in the charge piping?

The OE coils went back in and made no difference. I have aluminum piping and top quality couplers and clamps, so no leaks. Car will startm vac sits at -16 and it sounds like its running on two cylinders only.

Pulled all the plugs to check them. Cylinder 1 and 4 plugs looked perfectly normal. Cylinder 2 and 3 looked sooty. All 4 were fresh plugs with less than 2 miles on them.

Going to pull the injectors and replace all of the o-rings. Hopefully its just a vac leak at those cylinders and not two bad injectors.

What are my injector options for replacements if they are bad? I just need OE level replacements and not bigger ones.

The OE coils went back in and made no difference. I have aluminum piping and top quality couplers and clamps, so no leaks. Car will startm vac sits at -16 and it sounds like its running on two cylinders only.

Pulled all the plugs to check them. Cylinder 1 and 4 plugs looked perfectly normal. Cylinder 2 and 3 looked sooty. All 4 were fresh plugs with less than 2 miles on them.

Going to pull the injectors and replace all of the o-rings. Hopefully its just a vac leak at those cylinders and not two bad injectors.

What are my injector options for replacements if they are bad? I just need OE level replacements and not bigger ones.
Just out of curiosity, do you have VTCS/VICS?? I remember xdjdubx a while back kept having a very similar issue and his screws came lose and were bouncing around in the cylinder knocking out the plugs.

The MSP intake manifold has slightly more robust VICS flaps and screws, they didn't fall under the recall Mazda put out back in the day. I know it sounds crazy but I have taken my MSP manifold and the stock DE mani apart when I did a motor swap in one of my MSPs and they do appear slightly different. It's still possible the screws are backing out but unlikely.

Boostr if you need injectors I have a couple extra sets. I don't think injector seals would cause such a large leak but it's worth a shot.

1552 has sat for over a month. After bleeding the clutch hydraulics, I had no improvement on the situation that lead to them being replaced. I finally ponied up this week and had the clutch replaced. Found my problem in the process.
attachment.php

So... That will be fixed by this afternoon. Also having the Yellowspeed coilovers removed and stock Tokico/RB springs reinstalled as well as the replacement of my final swaybar endlink. She should be back on the road by Friday if all goes as planned. yay.

Attachments

• badclutch.jpg
    badclutch.jpg
    84.6 KB · Views: 270
1552 has sat for over a month. After bleeding the clutch hydraulics, I had no improvement on the situation that lead to them being replaced. I finally ponied up this week and had the clutch replaced. Found my problem in the process.
attachment.php

So... That will be fixed by this afternoon. Also having the Yellowspeed coilovers removed and stock Tokico/RB springs reinstalled as well as the replacement of my final swaybar endlink. She should be back on the road by Friday if all goes as planned. yay.

well that looks like s*** lol.

i'll say you had a problem.

why are you removing the coils in place of stock?

Back