What have you done to your Miata today?

scheduled a the msm to get dyno tuned on May 21st. that will be the first time this car has been properly tuned since it likely had the hydra installed...

now the fun begins.. alot of work to get it ready for tuning.

Finally got the IL Motorsports center console that Mrs. Santa gave me for Christmas installed. But as you all know we can't just modify something without modifying it, so I added an LED to it. While at it, a buddy of mine helped me with fabricating some brackets for the footwell LEDs.

Almost got my hands on a used and local NC Mazdaspeed exhaust a couple of weeks ago but the buyer decided to keep it. My backup was going to be an RSII from Goodwin Racing but lo and behold the same day that the buyer backed out, I found a Mazdaspeed exhaust on Ebay. A looooong week later I was the happy winner of the auction and prepared for the long week of waiting for it to arrive. Much to my surprise, it was delivered today after being shipped yesterday! Thankfully I had an OEM gasket and hangers on standby. My left tip was sagging a bit so I figured it was a good time to just replace the hangers, can def. see a difference with the new ones. Oh yeah...loving that new growl too! :D

lighting and exhaust both look great man!

Last edited:
Nice Levi! I know you have been waiting quite some time for this so I wish you luck!

Thanks.

Yesterday after finishing up the lights and before the exhaust I got a CEL. Pulled codes U0101 (Lost Communication with TCM) and U0155 (Lost Communication with Instrument Panel Cluster Control Module). After resetting the codes, the light didn't come back on. While looking for a fuse to use the add-a-fuse for the lights I did pull several fuses, one of which was for the illumination in the interior fuse box. Didn't touch anything in regards to the transmission though. Car is running fine and no clunks when shifting from park into gear or when it shifts. But I noticed (might be normal but never realized it) that the readout seems funny. Cruising in 6th on the highway it showed "6". I got off the gas to merge onto the exit ramp, which is uphill and straight and let the car downshift on it's own. The whole time it kept reading "6" until I was almost at a stop and the tach was at 1K, then it showed "1". I could have sworn that in normal operation the number would drop as the car downshifted?! Light hasn't come on again and I the AT light never lit. Trying to figure out if I'm going crazy or if something really is screwy.

That's awesome Levi :D

I finally got tired of looking for 3rd and finding 5th. Since I'm in a prepared class that allows shifter & trans-tunnel mods, I figured I'd do something about it.

I picked up a pair of cheap-o cutting boards at Horrible Freight to use as the bumper.

Welded on both sides so nothing tries to separate when the shifter slams into it.

Still have some notching to do on the angle iron, final fitting up, adding a spring or 2 to keep it in place and a stop so it stays at the angle I want it at (and hits the shifter instead of the rubber boot) but it's coming together nicely.

Whipped up a new cat-delete pipe for the 'new' header. It almost looks like I know what I'm doing, sans an actual tubing bender (ie: having to do it in sections for each bend). Only needed to use 2 bends / sections, used slip-fit flanges, and flared 1 of the tubes so that it would be a lap-weld instead of a butt joint where the pipes meet, which is stronger and allows a little more freedom in fitup. And because occasionally the kids let us sleep now and again these days, I even put the flare on the downstream side so it would flow more smoothly (ie: into the flare, instead of tripping over the hard edge of the downstream tube if you do it the other way).

As a data point, here is what the previous version looked like. I didn't realize it at the time but: the mid-pipe is a slip fit w/ a band clamp to the axle back / muffler section. One of the reasons the whole exhaust was hanging low was that the mid-pipe was 'clocked' wrong into the axle back, causing the whole thing to be tweaked just a hair awkwardly. This is what the hang down looked like with the previous version. Not terrible, but it hung down a bit.

This is with the new one tacked up and bolted in place. It's SO much better.

With the slip fit flanges, I could almost get away without fully welding out the tube where it meets the flange (but there's no reason not to weld it out). The tubing actually stuck out from the back of the flange just a hair, so it got ground down flush.

A coat of high-heat paint.

clever little way to keep out of 5th haha

i finished the wiring on the Hydra yesterday and was ready to start calibrating all the sensors and realized the battery is dead dead. so i have to get a new battery today and hopefully the calibration can begin tonight and i can fire it soon

Purchased one over the weekend! 2006 Sport with some Mazdaspeed parts :)

Congrats! In addition to pics what kind oh MS goodies does it have?

Sent from my Galaxy S7 Edge using Tapatalk
Full MS body kit, exhaust, CF shift knob & parking brake. And it's a Sport package so it has Bilsteins, LSD. Pics to come.

Whipped up a new cat-delete pipe for the 'new' header. It almost looks like I know what I'm doing, sans an actual tubing bender (ie: having to do it in sections for each bend). Only needed to use 2 bends / sections, used slip-fit flanges, and flared 1 of the tubes so that it would be a lap-weld instead of a butt joint where the pipes meet, which is stronger and allows a little more freedom in fitup. And because occasionally the kids let us sleep now and again these days, I even put the flare on the downstream side so it would flow more smoothly (ie: into the flare, instead of tripping over the hard edge of the downstream tube if you do it the other way).

As a data point, here is what the previous version looked like. I didn't realize it at the time but: the mid-pipe is a slip fit w/ a band clamp to the axle back / muffler section. One of the reasons the whole exhaust was hanging low was that the mid-pipe was 'clocked' wrong into the axle back, causing the whole thing to be tweaked just a hair awkwardly. This is what the hang down looked like with the previous version. Not terrible, but it hung down a bit.

This is with the new one tacked up and bolted in place. It's SO much better.

With the slip fit flanges, I could almost get away without fully welding out the tube where it meets the flange (but there's no reason not to weld it out). The tubing actually stuck out from the back of the flange just a hair, so it got ground down flush.

A coat of high-heat paint.

Looks good! Best to have welded it up!!

06mx5-02.JPG06mx5-01.jpg

Nice, I love the blue (2thumbs)

Looks good! Best to have welded it up!!

Oh for sure. I was simply very pleased with the fitup I managed. It appears I am able to learn from my mistakes, after a fashion, and after making enough of them :p

That's how most of us learn! I'm much more inclined to try things I never would have 20 yrs ago....my next learning will be welding. I did some in high school in metal fab, but after grad and getting into electricity I never did it again. I like what you've done, good work Andrew!!!

Oh man...winning blue and a full MS bodykit!!! Lookin good!

Very creative Andrew! I always like reading your posts to see what new ideas you have come up with.

Sent from my Galaxy S7 Edge using Tapatalk

Four more weeks and I get to join back in the fun with mine. First order of business will be to get my MS to see my wideband again (turned out Dimitris had neglected to switch one setting back after he was done testing). Next, a wheel swap to my summers, and then drive!

I made a springy thing :D

That's all it takes to engage and disengage, and it stops on each end very positively.

Latest posts

Back