What have you done to your CX-9 today?

What's the daily high temp where you are? I thought about doing it this weekend, but the weather is shooting back almost to 20 C this week lol (Toronto)

We're dropping into the lower single digits in the middle of the week. I usually do my tire swap and oil change on Thanksgiving weekend but decided to push it back a bit. Still need to do my oil change, change my diff fluids and do another ATF drain and fill.

Did an oil change the other day, when it was nice out.

20231101_180144.jpg

I got engine oil all over my impact driver in the process. I dropped it in the drain pan after removing the drain plug, right under the stream of used engine oil, lol. Later that evening, I took it apart and wiped it down as much as I could. It was working just fine, I just didn't want to have to deal with engine oil continuing to weep from the seams and slinging oil from the collet, making the tool harder to grip and more messy to use.

20231101_222036.jpg

20231101_222100.jpg

20231101_222632.jpg

Did an oil change the other day, when it was nice out.

View attachment 323564

I got engine oil all over my impact driver in the process. I dropped it in the drain pan after removing the drain plug, right under the stream of used engine oil, lol. Later that evening, I took it apart and wiped it down as much as I could. It was working just fine, I just didn't want to have to deal with engine oil continuing to weep from the seams and slinging oil from the collet, making the tool harder to grip and more messy to use.

View attachment 323567

View attachment 323568

View attachment 323569Love
Love those Rino Ramps - get price and they are very strong with a rubber tip to prevent slipping while entering the incline- Nobody likes know it alls -- BUT -- I have found a great way to drop the plug and avoid getting my ratchet covered in oil ... I use and extension with swivel- / or Once loose I pop the ratchet off the 17mm socket and hand loosen til I see a drip and then pull the 17mm off --and hand finish the bolt removal-- and I wear disposable gloves-- into the trash -- no mess-

Good job on saving the driver -- It looks pretty clean - heck - its made to take a beating anyway

Love those Rino Ramps - get price and they are very strong with a rubber tip to prevent slipping while entering the incline- Nobody likes know it alls -- BUT -- I have found a great way to drop the plug and avoid getting my ratchet covered in oil ... I use and extension with swivel- / or Once loose I pop the ratchet off the 17mm socket and hand loosen til I see a drip and then pull the 17mm off --and hand finish the bolt removal-- and I wear disposable gloves-- into the trash -- no mess-

Good job on saving the driver -- It looks pretty clean - heck - its made to take a beating anyway

Yeah its still fairly new. Would have been able to avoid the mess if I was paying attention to the torque setting on the driver - it was set to max power so it zipped the drain bolt off much faster than I was expecting, and when I pulled back, the drain plug came with it. Oil started draining out on my gloves and that was all she wrote haha. Live and learn.

Yeah its still fairly new. Would have been able to avoid the mess if I was paying attention to the torque setting on the driver - it was set to max power so it zipped the drain bolt off much faster than I was expecting, and when I pulled back, the drain plug came with it. Oil started draining out on my gloves and that was all she wrote haha. Live and learn.
Yep, I learned the same lesson with an impact driver on my wheel lug nuts. Stripped(cross-threaded) a few by not first hand-threading them in on the studs and then using the driver

Its happened to me more times than I am willing admit to ....Changing the oil is like painting .80% set-up / clean/up -20% actual work

Installed the Corksport lowering springs today on my 19 Signature. Install was very easy and straight forward. First impressions though, once I lowered the car from the lift and it touched the floor, I was excited like a little kid at a toy store. I immediately noticed the smaller wheel gap and with spacers, the stance looked perfect. Not too low, not too high. About a two finger gap on all corners. Instructions say to cut the bump stops but to save some time I didn’t cut the front and rear bump stops. I didn’t notice anything on my first drive around the parking lot and speed bumps. But when I was going over some dips on the road heading home at a decent speed, I could feel the back end actually touch the bump stops. I’ll remove the shocks tomorrow to cut the bump stops and reinstall, then go for another drive in that same stretch of road. it should make a big difference. Fronts bump stops I didn’t touch either but over that dip, I didn’t feel it get disturbed. I might as well do those too though. Ride is just a tad stiffer than stock. But it’s nice, it makes the car feel more stable.
IMG_1763.png
IMG_1748.jpeg
IMG_1764.png

Last edited:
Well long time lurker, but today finished spraying my grill black to go with my previous chrome delete.

As for other things, 22 inch wheels with Ceika coilovers. Cat back exhaust and SAI from corksport. JB4 installed. Strut bar and aftermarket sway bar on the rear. Overall, not really much else I can or want to do with the car.

Last thing I would consider is a splitter.

Appreciative to this forum, as it really helped me put all of this together.

Attachments

• IMG_0042.jpeg
    IMG_0042.jpeg
    117.5 KB · Views: 82
  • IMG_0040.jpeg
    IMG_0040.jpeg
    146.5 KB · Views: 81
  • IMG_0041.jpeg
    IMG_0041.jpeg
    125.5 KB · Views: 85
I'm interested in replacing incandescent bulbs with LEDs. Is this a worthwhile project or not necessary?

Installed the Corksport lowering springs today on my 19 Signature. Install was very easy and straight forward. First impressions though, once I lowered the car from the lift and it touched the floor, I was excited like a little kid at a toy store. I immediately noticed the smaller wheel gap and with spacers, the stance looked perfect. Not too low, not too high. About a two finger gap on all corners. Instructions say to cut the bump stops but to save some time I didn’t cut the front and rear bump stops. I didn’t notice anything on my first drive around the parking lot and speed bumps. But when I was going over some dips on the road heading home at a decent speed, I could feel the back end actually touch the bump stops. I’ll remove the shocks tomorrow to cut the bump stops and reinstall, then go for another drive in that same stretch of road. it should make a big difference. Fronts bump stops I didn’t touch either but over that dip, I didn’t feel it get disturbed. I might as well do those too though. Ride is just a tad stiffer than stock. But it’s nice, it makes the car feel more stable.
View attachment 323731View attachment 323741View attachment 323820
That looks great! Nice work. Really will consider this if I pick up the signature I'm looking at. Can you comment on the overall impact on the ride quality after adding these especially on imperfect roads expansion joints rumble strips potholes etc.?

That looks great! Nice work. Really will consider this if I pick up the signature I'm looking at. Can you comment on the overall impact on the ride quality after adding these especially on imperfect roads expansion joints rumble strips potholes etc.?
Ive had the lowering springs on for a couple of weeks now and the ride is great. The only issue is I can feel the bump stops more frequently. It rides like stock until I go over a speed bump or something, then ill feel the suspension bottom out and hit the bump stops. I installed them the way Corksport recommended by cutting one inch off the stock bump stops. During regular driving it's fine though. If only bilstein had some shock replacements, id get them. From what I remember from my Mustang days, Bilstein has a B8 series shock thats specifically for lowered vehicles. But yeah, other than me being able to feel the bump stops, its great. I love the way its drives and the way it looks.

Replacement license plate bulbs came in the mail yesterday, so I popped those in. Also replaced the flickering reverse light LED bulb. Hopefully good to go for another 5 years.
Which brand did you get for the License Plate if you don't mind me asking? Will you be able to use that same LED for the dome lights? Glove compartment? And, what color are the ambient lights inside the cabin on the doors and so forth? Looks like a bluish color to me. I don't want to get bright white for the overheads if it doesn't match the ambient door lighting. Some of these w5w LED bulbs come in packages of 8-10 and I was wondering if I could use these on other 5 watt applications. Thanks

Which brand did you get for the License Plate if you don't mind me asking? Will you be able to use that same LED for the dome lights? Glove compartment? And, what color are the ambient lights inside the cabin on the doors and so forth? Looks like a bluish color to me. I don't want to get bright white for the overheads if it doesn't match the ambient door lighting. Some of these w5w LED bulbs come in packages of 8-10 and I was wondering if I could use these on other 5 watt applications. Thanks

The brand is Luyed, and I ordered them off Amazon.ca. Dome lights are already LED, and I didn't both changing the glove compartment light. Ambient lighting is a cool white, just like the dome lights, but dimmer. Probably around 5000-5500k colour temperature, but they will look different because the dome light is much brighter when it's on compared to the ambient, always-on lighting.

Refer to the chart you posted in the reverse light bulb replacement thread, I think the bulb types were listed there.

The brand is Luyed, and I ordered them off Amazon.ca. Dome lights are already LED, and I didn't both changing the glove compartment light. Ambient lighting is a cool white, just like the dome lights, but dimmer. Probably around 5000-5500k colour temperature, but they will look different because the dome light is much brighter when it's on compared to the ambient, always-on lighting.

Refer to the chart you posted in the reverse light bulb replacement thread, I think the bulb types were listed there.
Yeah, the backup lights are pretty much the same type of bulb. But when it comes to interior lighting, some types will still say w5w but they are not the "tapered" type that the Mazdas seem to have. I've listed a few here: These first two, while they still list them as w5w AND compatible with Mazda CX-9, they will not fit in the Mazda's interior lighting. Only the third picture shows the dual tapered ends to the bulb that must be used for License, Map, and Second row lights. So all of these, including LUYED say w5w but only the ones at the far right will fit. At least that's my take. Do you agree?

Attachments

• Screenshot 2023-12-11 161130.jpg
    Screenshot 2023-12-11 161130.jpg
    32.1 KB · Views: 25
  • Screenshot 2023-12-11 161244.jpg
    Screenshot 2023-12-11 161244.jpg
    42.1 KB · Views: 23
  • Screenshot 2023-12-11 161946.jpg
    Screenshot 2023-12-11 161946.jpg
    69.5 KB · Views: 27

Latest posts

Back