What have you done to your 2010+ Mazda3 today?

I installed Tri-Point RSB end links on Wednesday (one of the stock end links busted)

attachment.php

Attachments

• IMG_0396.jpg
    IMG_0396.jpg
    895.3 KB · Views: 956
Got home from work last night and the wifey pointed this out to me. :/ We are just into our third season of running these and I'd estimate they have about 12000 miles on them. Called discounttiredirect where I bought them initially but they no longer sell them so, I'm waiting on my mechanic to call me back to see if he can special order them. If not, I might be making a road trip to Syracuse NY. Found a shop up there that can get me the tire for $147 OTD. Only other place I've been able to find them is 1010tires and I'm not paying $175.99 + shipping for the damn thing.

attachment.php

Attachments

• nail.jpg
    nail.jpg
    184.3 KB · Views: 635
Damn, that's pretty unlucky :(

Can't it be patched / plugged?

Sadly no since it's on the sidewall. Had one before in the treads but it didn't puncture the tire so we were good. But last night it was down 10psi so I filled it to 36psi around 7:30pm and at 7am it was at 33psi so def. leaking.

shoulder or sidewall is a big no no for patching..had to just replace tires as well because of it...was on the inside of the tire so was a little trickier to find. Tire I had on it was 185 out the door...went to tires plus and they were able to get me 2 new tires for 190 out the door...so I got 2 instead of one...they were 18's too...new tires dont have the cold weather grip my old ones had but they are livable in the snow.

Pretty sure in 15 years of driving I've never had a nail in a tire. Now to find some wood to knock on. Brb...

Luckily I work in an architecture office and had a wood sample next to my desk.

nate my 1st nail happened just a few weeks ago (16 years of driving as im 32 ;-)

good luck!

I don't think I've ever even had a flat.

Where's that piece of wood again?

Got my ventvisors put on this afternoon.

Attachments

• 2013-01-09_14-05-11_560.jpg
    2013-01-09_14-05-11_560.jpg
    592.4 KB · Views: 138
shoulder or sidewall is a big no no for patching..had to just replace tires as well because of it...was on the inside of the tire so was a little trickier to find. Tire I had on it was 185 out the door...went to tires plus and they were able to get me 2 new tires for 190 out the door...so I got 2 instead of one...they were 18's too...new tires dont have the cold weather grip my old ones had but they are livable in the snow.

Well that is what I've heard but have others tell me it's possible depending on the location? Dropped it off locally and guy says he can plug/patch it for $20. I'll be sure to keep an eye on it once I get it back on and go from there. Same guy had talked about possibly vulcanizing it if he felt a plug/patch wouldn't work. I looked it up and seems popular with the 4x4 crowd but not so sure about dd use.

Pretty sure in 15 years of driving I've never had a nail in a tire. Now to find some wood to knock on. Brb...

Luckily I work in an architecture office and had a wood sample next to my desk.

nate my 1st nail happened just a few weeks ago (16 years of driving as im 32 ;-)

good luck!

Eff you both! lol Was talking to my wife on the way to her dr's appt this afternoon. I believe she has had a nail/flat in every car she has driven...Jetta, Vue, MPV and now the 3. :/ Thanks guys and Nate, can you ship that piece of wood up here? haha

Got my ventvisors put on this afternoon.

Looks good Chris!

As mentioned the tire is at the shop and the donut is on the car. Took this pic but the wife is still deadset against me dropping the car....even with this amount of wheel gap! :)
attachment.php

Attachments

• Blue - Holy Gap.jpg
    Blue - Holy Gap.jpg
    320.1 KB · Views: 572
Wow, now that's 4x4 status! I had no idea the spare was that small for the 3.

Yeah....should post that pic in the stance thread for some fun. ;) It's a 115/70/15 and IIRC the same size as the Protege5.

thanks!

i still have the 6 for a couple weeks so im not driving it yet. wish i was, but it is now cold and snowy here, so im kinda glad it is just sitting in the garage.

Finally, finally got my new wheels put on, after two years of them sitting in my storage room! Tenzo Tracer V1 Black Matte 18 x 8.5 +48, wrapped in Kumho Ecsta LX Platinum 225/40R18 rubber, with matching black McGard SplineDrive wheel lock kit. I'll take better pics after I wash my car, hopefully tomorrow since it will be unseasonably warm here.

IMG_0557.JPG

IMG_0556.JPG

Last edited:
Picked up a set of fog lights today. One of the easiest installs ever! Turned out pretty darn good, if I say so myself.

Attachments

• 2013-03-18_17-20-36_567.jpg
    2013-03-18_17-20-36_567.jpg
    665.4 KB · Views: 123
Looks good Chris, are they OEM? And give me back my fairing! haha

Drove her to work today and still no sign of the ticking/rattling noise from the PS so it appears to have been fixed. Didn't post up on here but wifey started hearing an odd noise sometime ago which I never heard until recently. Did some digging around and thought it may have been the VVT but that seems to affect the 2.3/2.5s more and I heard it once the engine was warm vs. a cold start-up. Two weeks ago she went to the dealer and they could not duplicate it (of course (hand)) but did swap out the belt tensioner as the advisor said he had seen previous issues with them and ours had some play. Pick her up and the wife hears the noise on the mile trip home. (doh) Dropped her off again last Thursday but not before taking a drive with a tech to point out the noise. He heard it and made some notes and they ended up swapping out the serpentine belt and so far so good. Where's that piece of wood, Nate?

Back