What did you pay for your CX-5?

7eregrine

The man, the myth, the legend
:
Land of Cleve
:
2016.5 CX5
would you have walked over getting 30% more for your trade than it would be worth under normal market conditions?
I absolutely would have. I am a BIG believer in speaking with my dollars and I will NOT support a sketchy dealer.

sm1ke

Work In Progress..
Contributor
:
Canada
:
'18 CX-9 Signature
I absolutely would have. I am a BIG believer in speaking with my dollars and I will NOT support a sketchy dealer.

I personally would not have walked over $285, especially if the 30% more from my trade would have covered the $285.

7eregrine

The man, the myth, the legend
:
Land of Cleve
:
2016.5 CX5
I still would have. BIG believer in not rewarding sketchy behavior. SURELY other dealers offering similar trades. If I didn't walk, I would have gotten that price dropped. Or my wife would have. She's ridiculously persuasive.

:
Montreal
:
2022 CX-5 GT
One salesman (after striking a deal) told me that, some customers walk in and just ask what the downpayment and monthly payment are .... and, sign the papers if they can afford those numbers.

Math education remains essential.
This happened to me at two Toyota dealerships and a Honda dealership.
The first Toyota dealership kept pushing for a lease and wouldn't stop talking about it. It's extremely funny when a salesperson says "Because of how popular EVs are getting you don't know how much this car is going to be worth in 5 years."
Second Toyota and the Honda dealerships would only talk in monthly payments until I insisted they tell me how much the total cost is. (with and without interest)

I have a friend who doesn't know how much she bought her Toyota for. She only knows she's paying 550 a month for 6 years. In Canada they can't add a market adjustment price, but they can definitely charge you a premium over stuff like paint protection, rustproofing, winter tires etc.

I wasn't pressured to get any extra stuff; the only "financing trick" they did was that I could finance over 4 years instead of 3 and pay the same amount in interest. This was after I agreed to get the car, and it worked in my favour.

This program is a bit too dramatic for my taste, but still makes some good points. The one salesman that gives good advice works at Mazda.

Latest posts