TSB out in Canada for hood and mirror shake.

Vu que tu est du Qubec... As-tu eu des problmes avec la climatisation? Depuis quelques temps sa mne un vacarme de fou quand on met la fan a "4"

Depuis qu'on est en hiver, je n'ai pas fait fonctionner mon air climatis. Tout de mne, avec la fan "4", je n'ai pas de vacarme. Je vais essayer avec l'air climatis en fonction.

My dealer gave me TSB number 09-002/13. Can someone look it up?

He is ordering the parts for my car.

I test-drove 2 different 2014 CX-5s, with the plastic still on the seats, and both had driver side mirror shake at highway speed. It was a vibration that some people might tolerate. It's true I've noticed it on the short test drive only because I read about it here first, but I can see why I would like it to be fixed.
If it is found in new 2014 models, I don't think Mazda actually addressed the issue. The dealers I've spoken to did not hear about it before.

Anyone know if these still apply to the 2014, or were they fixed for the new model?

There is a minor vibration evident on the driver side mirror at speed probably due to wind resistance. The passenger side is fine. I'll mention it when I bring it in for the dealer's 1000 mile complimentary service.

I have a 2014 with a build date of 12/12 and my drivers side mirror is vibrating considerably more than the passenger one. I will be back to the dealer in a week so I can have it looked at.

My 2013 CX5 is sitting at the dealer with the driver's side mirror off and in pieces , awaiting new glass/mirror , one ordered was broken by mechanic, so there overnighting 2 new one's , I'll say a prayer that one of them works and is installed and I get my vehicle back in one piece. If he breaks both of them then I'll take it backa and go to another dealer, because that would be 3 strikes your OUT. Mechanic was blaming Mazda for "CHEAP" plastic pieces, hmmmm The blame game. Guess tomorrow I'll see. Car's not even in my possession for 30 days and in the shop..............

I hope things get better down the road because this could be my first and last Mazda for sure

2014 GT, minor driver's mirror vibration at speed but nothing to worry about, it's really insignificant. Passenger is rock solid so I wonder why they don't just make them the same.

My 2013 CX5 is sitting at the dealer with the driver's side mirror off and in pieces , awaiting new glass/mirror , one ordered was broken by mechanic, so there overnighting 2 new one's , I'll say a prayer that one of them works and is installed and I get my vehicle back in one piece. If he breaks both of them then I'll take it backa and go to another dealer, because that would be 3 strikes your OUT. Mechanic was blaming Mazda for "CHEAP" plastic pieces, hmmmm The blame game. Guess tomorrow I'll see. Car's not even in my possession for 30 days and in the shop..............

I hope things get better down the road because this could be my first and last Mazda for sure

tell your dealer mechanic to heat up the mirror w/ hair dryer or heat gun at lower temp, to soften the plastic before they pull it off.

tell your dealer mechanic to heat up the mirror w/ hair dryer or heat gun at lower temp, to soften the plastic before they pull it off.

I did that yesterday mentioned warming up the plastic to allow an easier expansion, they let me go into the shop and more or less I got more negative waves and the blame game on mazda. Like I already mentioned they already broke one and have 2 coming in today, if they can't get it right I'm not sure what actions can be taken

Update, as of this afternoon I have my CX5 Back with a new mirror and about the same vibration, according to my dealer, Mazda said that there are parts that are being shipped to them that stabilize the mirrors. I know that they have 4 other vehicles on the lot with worse mirror problems then what I had, at least thats what I was told and I have NO reason to not believe them. As for hood vibration, I've noticed it on mine but honestly forgot to mention this because is not that noticeable.

They also did an update to the computer which is supposed to do something for the idling of the engine when started, I did'nt pay attention to that because mine has been running fine.

My 2014 build is 2/13. It seems lame that a year later they can't build a mirror that doesn't shake. Love the car so far with only 550 miles on her, but I would have the engineers fired by now! Of course we consumers are more educated than the dealers when it comes to TSB's. I remember back in 2000, when I bought my Maxima the transmission would slip from first to second. I researched this on line and found a transmission control module TSB. I printed it, took it to the dealer I purchased the car from and they were clueless. I left and went to another dealer and after my " dude I know more than you about your job" training program they changed it and the car was perfect. 220,000 miles and still going. Sorry for the rant, but why don't people continuously educate themselves about the products they sell and service? Seriously they have a full model year to learn about a limited number of model offerings and 4 to 5 additional years to get it right through its cycle. I guess the Mazda QC personnel are sleeping or blind when it comes to mirror shake....

Last edited by a moderator:
2014 GT, minor driver's mirror vibration at speed but nothing to worry about, it's really insignificant. Passenger is rock solid so I wonder why they don't just make them the same.

I think they are made the same. It's just that the driver side mirror is closer to you, so that the same vibration is more apparent due to the way light reflects off mirror. Check with your passenger or have someone else drive and sit in the passenger seat. It should seem as driver side mirror being steady.

Ppl with GoPro cameras with car adapter suction mount should take videos of the mirrors & hoods.

My 2014 build is 2/13. It seems lame that a year later they can't build a mirror that doesn't shake. Love the car so far with only 550 miles on her, but I would have the engineers fired by now! (....) I guess the Mazda QC personnel are sleeping or blind when it comes to mirror shake....

We have a 2008 CX-9 (that we bought new in 2008), and that was also well known for the driver-side mirror shake. Fast forward 5 years later, I'm now looking at the CX-5, and I can't help but chuckle that it too had a driver-side mirror shake issue. But it's not a "I'm laughing at your pain" chuckle, it's a "shaking my head in disbelief" chuckle.

So to your point, the guy (or gal) responsible for the driver-side mirror design on the CX models must be the CEO's cousin or something, because the problem doesn't seem to go away!

In any case, you can look at the CX-9 TSBs to see how that particular issue was addressed (it really wasn't, the techs would put foam in there to help stabilize it). I believe the issue was still there in 2011 or 2012, but I stopped worrying about it, once you own the car for a while you basically don't notice it. It's when the car is new that you want everything to be perfect, but the mirror thing might have to be an acceptance thing.

I used to have pretty substantial mirror shake issues on my old Lexus ES300, partly because I owned it from 95k-200k+ miles and partly because of the 2000 watts of subwoofers I put in the trunk. (What can I say, I was young and it made sense at the time!)

As I was smoothing out all of the various buzzes and rattles that came with the bass, I placed a small piece of dynamat, probably 0.5" x 2", on the back of the glass on each sideview mirror. On that car, I was able to get behind by pointing the power mirrors all the way in, not sure if the CX-5 has enough mirror travel to allow it.

It's a problem that shouldn't exist in the first place in a new car, but my DIY solution worked great on a case where the vibration was bad enough I couldn't see anything in the mirrors during bass hits. I know the material is usually only sold in sheets, but maybe it'd be possible to snag a remnant from a car audio shop?

My wife was driving at 10 km/h down a quiet side street when without warning there was a loud bang and the glass in the left side mirror cracked?????
Didn't hit anything and there are no marks on the mirror.
Anyone else heard of this???

Back