Transmission question

mazdarichie

:
2003.5 Mazdaspeed Protege
Is there any way to tell the difference externally between a MSP transmission and a regular 5 speed from any regular Protege? I have a yellow MSP that is in awful condition. I know it has the wrong engine in it and it does not run. I have no idea if the transmission is correct or not. I have had no luck finding the parts I need to bring it back. Nothing close to me that is. I basically need the whole front clip for the car and an engine. I have owned this car since last July. Since I can't find the parts I need anywhere close I'm thinking of stripping it. If I can figure out the tranny without taking it out that would be helpful. If it's wrong I'm just going to leave it in the car. I already have a regular 5 speed sitting on the floor in my garage. Any help would be appreciated.
Thanks.

there isn't anything visually to tell if its a msp specific trans or not that ive seen. only that it has an lsd obv for the msp. not sure if the number plate says g15mR or not but you could look for that R as it would specify msp.

nothing else is different though. lots and lots of people buy running driving p5s with body damage or other problems and just swap the drivetrain. its 100% compatible. hell if you drill a hole in the block for turbo oil return, you can bolt your entire msp turbo setup to any p5 or es2.0. just use the msp ecu.

dont give up on the car unless it has really bad rust damage.

It has been wrecked pretty good in the past. The left frame horn is pretty bent up. Somebody did a poor repair. Put a new core support on very poorly and made a sad attempt to straighten the frame horn. They brush painted the core support with yellow paint. Sad. This car was raced hard. Had lots of mods at some point. The cut up the front where it had a FMIC on it. The wheel wells were all rolled to fit bigger tires. Not that big of a deal in the front. But no luck finding a complete yellow front clip. The rear quarters are in need of some serious bodywork to bring them back. I wanted to return it to stock form like my blue MSP but I'm not sure that will happen. I am the only person around my area that has a MSP. Heck, Proteges are not even in the local wrecking yards. I guess I'm just trying to find something to do. I am pretty much done with the P5 I put back together for my daughter.

There are a few different ways to tell actually. If the trans is removed from the car. The just look through where the axles go through the trans. If you can see right through it, then its LSD equipped. If its a open diff from a NA protege,Probe,mx6,626 it will have a diff pin right in the middle when you look through it. Very easy to tell the difference.

If the trans is still installed. Then jack up the front of the car till both front wheels are off the ground. Now spin one of the wheels. If it has an LSD trans, the opposite wheel will spin in the direction as you spun your wheel. BUT If the opposite side wheel spins the opposite direction, then you have a NA open diff. ;)

The just look through where the axles go through the trans. If you can see right through it, then its LSD equipped. If its a open diff from a NA protege,Probe,mx6,626 it will have a diff pin right in the middle when you look through it. Very easy to tell the difference.
This.

The just look through where the axles go through the trans. If you can see right through it, then its LSD equipped. If its a open diff from a NA protege,Probe,mx6,626 it will have a diff pin right in the middle when you look through it. Very easy to tell the difference.
This.

Back