Sub and rear 6x9s stopped working :(

KerNJiggA

:
MSP Protege 2003 Black
hey,

i was driving one day suddenly the sub and 6x9s in the rear stopped working. All settings on the head unit are the same.

i tried resetting the unit, changing all the NF/Subwoofer settings, ect but nothing.

Every once in a while when driving it will come back on for a second then cut out again.

How do i get to the wires? They all look solidly connected to the amp, anything anyone knows that i should look for?

PS this is right after the dealer replaced my head unit when the original one was stolen.

thanks for any help you can offer....

There is a connector hidden in the trunk on the left side under the trim for the amp, you could try and look at that. As for the speakers, there are no 6x9's in the MSP. We have 6 1/2's in the rear doors.

AJsMSP said:
There is a connector hidden in the trunk on the left side under the trim for the amp, you could try and look at that. As for the speakers, there are no 6x9's in the MSP. We have 6 1/2's in the rear doors.

i havent had my car for a month, its in the shop so i am having a hard time remembering.

then what are the speakers behind the rear seats???

KerNJiggA said:
i havent had my car for a month, its in the shop so i am having a hard time remembering.

then what are the speakers behind the rear seats???

They're not speakers, just grilles. 6x9's don't fit with the sub enclosure in place.

omg i feel like a dumazz

are u serious i swear they were on be4 unless i was hallucinating

i guess cuz my car been gone for so long i am a noob again :(

AJsMSP said:
There is a connector hidden in the trunk on the left side under the trim for the amp, you could try and look at that.
Where exactly are we talking about for this part?? I was swapping out my rear suspension on Satiurday, and now my sub isn't working...The amp is getting power, but the sub isnt putting out any sound.

2K3 MSP said:
Where exactly are we talking about for this part?? I was swapping out my rear suspension on Satiurday, and now my sub isn't working...The amp is getting power, but the sub isnt putting out any sound.
No, this connector is for the power and ground for the amp, it would have nothing to do with your sub not working....although you could have pinched or severed the RCA cable, this runs in the same spot. Mazda went pretty cheap on the power and signal aspect of the system. The wires run along the left rear wheel well.

amp fuse. I guarantee it. if the sub was busted it would go pfpffftf every time the bass hit. with the amp fuse blown it wont even make a sound.

MSPinVA said:
amp fuse. I guarantee it. if the sub was busted it would go pfpffftf every time the bass hit. with the amp fuse blown it wont even make a sound.

the red light comes on on the amp, but ill check the fuse anyways.

it looks like all the wires are in good order from what i could check (got my car back today!!!!!)

Im pretty sure your amp can be "turned on" but not have any juice. They are 2 seperate lines, from what I remember. The one for the power antenna turns on the amp, where the actual power line is a direct tap from the battery. So really you can have the red diode turn on, but that's just because the amp is asking for power, not necessarily getting any.

not really, you can blow a sub and it won't hit at all, you probably a) fried your voice coil 2) blew one of the three fuses (located under the hood, and two on the amp) or 3) you have a f'd up cd player.............and for the the "6x9's" total false advertisment mazda........don't ever run a 6 speaker setup to the kenwood in our cars, you will fry the hell out of it.....

k i checked the fuse on the amp, it is fine

2 fuses on the amp?
where would the other be? I checked the blue 15A blade one

i will check the other fuses under the hood, but im pretty sure it isnt a fuse since once every great while it will cut on again for about 15 seconds

any other common wire problems i can check out?

Same thing just happened to me. It cuts on and off. It's been on for about a day now but who knows if it will cut out again. I'm very interested in what you guys have to say too.

2K3 MSP said:
ANy luck?

If you reset the head unit accidently by removing power form the unit (disconnected the battery) then just hold down the AM button for 3 seconds.
If the amps light is on then the amp and its wires should be ok. Next look at the speaker wires from the amp to the subwoofer. Perhaps one is loose. Be sure to check inside of the box aswell as the terminals on the wires love to come disconnected at the sub. Also be sure the speaker wires are not contacting each other.

xtrememps said:
Same thing just happened to me. It cuts on and off. It's been on for about a day now but who knows if it will cut out again. I'm very interested in what you guys have to say too.
When the sub stops, does the amp stay on?
If so, $5 bucks says its a loose connection at the sub. Remove the sub and then disconnect the wires from it. Take a pair of vice grips or pliers and crunch on the wires spade connectors. That should give them better holding power. Then CAREFULLY put them back on the sub.

Thanks for the advice guys, right now it's working fine without any hiccups but if it starts acting up I'll definitely try

Back