2019 CX-5: How do I open key fob to replace battery?

Spent 45 minutes looking in owner's manual trying to find out how to open key fob to replace battery. Fob has been used for just on one year, and today instrument panel displayed that the fob battery was running low. Removing the key from fob doesn't show me much. I hate to just begin prying on things. Did search here but failed to get answer. Did say use CR2025 or one poster suggested CR2032 as having longer life.

Thanks for any tips, Dennis.

Use a small flat blade screw driver and insert it into the seam on the side and twist. GOOGLE -- How to open a CX5 key fob will give instructions also. Ed

Spent 45 minutes looking in owner's manual trying to find out how to open key fob to replace battery. Fob has been used for just on one year, and today instrument panel displayed that the fob battery was running low. Removing the key from fob doesn't show me much. I hate to just begin prying on things. Did search here but failed to get answer. Did say use CR2025 or one poster suggested CR2032 as having longer life.
????? Thanks for anyt ips, Dennis

look on youtube, there are many instructions how to open keyfob for mazda

Thanks for chiming in guys, let's try to provide solutions in the actual thread so that the OP receives possible solutions and this thread will be continue to be helpful well into the future for others...

I did a quick search and found these videos...

Hopefully they're helpful and if anyone can shed more light on this, please post here and let us know, thanks!

Taken from the manual:
keyfob battery replacement 1.jpg

keyfob battery replacement 2.jpg

????? Thanks for anyt ips, Dennis

I've also heard of a few people using CR2032 batteries for longer life. Yesterday, I used my last CR2025 battery to replace my keyfob's battery after just over a year and a half of service. I will be getting some CR2032 batteries to keep around the house for future replacements.

Here is Key Battery Replacement section starting on page 6-29 from 2018 CX-5 owner’s manual:

E2C7A223-3CFA-4040-964C-02A891326907.jpeg
2D80CBA0-FCBB-403C-A88A-ADE3C0182D7D.jpeg
3EDD106A-DDD6-46F7-B75F-5F8A5008FDA3.jpeg

I've also heard of a few people using CR2032 batteries for longer life. Yesterday, I used my last CR2025 battery to replace my keyfob's battery after just over a year and a half of service. I will be getting some CR2032 batteries to keep around the house for future replacements.
CR2032 is a bit thicker than CR2025 hence it should have higher capacity. If you want to try CR2032, make sure the battery cap can be tighten up properly with rubber o-ring. I believe CR2032 should last a little longer but not that significant than making sure to get name-brand CR2025 which isn’t counterfeit.

For 5+ years of service on my 2016 CX-5, I have Panasonic CR2025 which replaced the OE battery more than 3 years ago.

Last edited:
I buy them at WalMart near the checkout. I stick with the C2025 and changed both in March for $3.48. I change all the fob batteries every 12 months. Not a big deal considering I paid around $35,000 for the 2019 CX-5. I figure not worth messing with a C2032 to get a few more months service. And, I don't want my wife calling with "The car won't start". It is cheap insurance to just
change on car anniversary.

I remember all too well...Pay me now or pay me later.

Attachments

• battery.png
    battery.png
    11.8 KB · Views: 216
Last edited:
I buy them at WalMart near the checkout. I stick with the C2025 and changed both in March for $3.48. I change all the fob batteries every 12 months. Not a big deal considering I paid around $35,000 for the 2019 CX-5. I figure not worth messing with a C2032 to get a few more months service. And, I don't want my wife calling with "The car won't start". It is cheap insurance to just
change on car anniversary.

I remember all too well...Pay me now or pay me later.
Totally agree with you on the wife part ⋯ ;)

Throw it at the floor, it will pop open
I have to warn anyone who wants to try this method as I believe those key fobs are fragile. One of the ignition key with remote (once piece for BMW at the time, not 2 pieces like most others) for my 2000 BMW 528i accidentally dropped to the ground and got run over by a tire. There’s no physical damage whatsoever as BMW key comes with a leather folder to protect the entire key, but the key could no longer start the engine when I turned the key. BMW dealer said that the anti-theft chip built into the key somehow got damaged. Back to that day a new key cost me about $200 with key cutting and programming. Worse, it took me almost 1 year with 6 visits to 2 different BMW dealerships and at least 2 master mechanics with BMW USA tech support working on BMW programming computer, they still couldn’t program the key properly with all the features used to have and on the other original key. Eventually I read the service manual, went through a manual key reset procedure and accidentally fixed the problem without hooking up BMW programming computer.

I have to warn anyone who wants to try this method as I believe those key fobs are fragile. One of the ignition key with remote (once piece for BMW at the time, not 2 pieces like most others) for my 2000 BMW 528i accidentally dropped to the ground and got run over by a tire. There’s no physical damage whatsoever as BMW key comes with a leather folder to protect the entire key, but the key could no longer start the engine when I turned the key. BMW dealer said that the anti-theft chip built into the key somehow got damaged. Back to that day a new key cost me about $200 with key cutting and programming. Worse, it took me almost 1 year with 6 visits to 2 different BMW dealerships and at least 2 master mechanics with BMW USA tech support working on BMW programming computer, they still couldn’t program the key properly with all the features used to have and on the other original key. Eventually I read the service manual, went through a manual key reset procedure and accidentally fixed the problem without hooking up BMW programming computer.
Not 100% sure but I do believe that comment was in jest [tongue in cheek], not serious.

Thanks for any tips, Dennis.
I went to YouTube and found a video on it, it worked wonders.

I'm not new to modern fobs, but I just bought a '23 CX5 last night and cannot figure out how to open the fob to get the key. I asked the (worthless) salesman if it had a mechanical key inside and he said yes, but didn't show me how to get it apart and it got forgotten about in the insane 2.5 hours I spent there picking up the new car. I spent, literally, 30-40 minutes signing my name on endless documents.

He also "forgot" to include the all-weather floormats that he promised.

The entire experience was the worst in my life (West Herr Mazda of Canandaigua NY) of ever buying any vehicle.

And now I have to search around the internet to find out how to extract the key in case I ever need it?

The end game: Self driving cars with no steering wheel, no pedals, no keys, no brains, they will all look the same, won't matter the brand, they will all have the same components except for the emblems. I wonder if that old '65 Chevy Impala 283 I had is still around somewhere?

EDIT: Also, what is the "Hold" button for? I'm afraid to press it.

Last edited:
I'm not new to modern fobs, but I just bought a '23 CX5 last night and cannot figure out how to open the fob to get the key. I asked the (worthless) salesman if it had a mechanical key inside and he said yes, but didn't show me how to get it apart and it got forgotten about in the insane 2.5 hours I spent there picking up the new car. I spent, literally, 30-40 minutes signing my name on endless documents.

The entire experience was the worst in my life (West Herr Mazda of Canandaigua NY) of ever buying any vehicle.

And now I have to search around the internet to find out how to extract the key in case I ever need it?

The end game: Self driving cars with no steering wheel, no pedals, no keys, no brains, they will all look the same, won't matter the brand, they will all have the same components except for the emblems. I wonder if that old '65 Chevy Impala 283 I had is still around somewhere?

Is the info you want not in the owner's manual?

Hello @Cooter Boy, the info you're looking for is in your owner's manual. I'm not sure if you received a hard copy, but I've found that the online version (or the PDF version) can be easier to navigate when using the "Search" function.

Here's a direct link to the section regarding the keyfob:

Annotation 2022-11-02 073931.png

And here's a direct link to the section describing the Hold function:

Back