Speed3 at 465whp!

I could launch into all the math of why the SAE correction factor is inappropriate for a car with a turbo and a wastegate but I think the last time through just kind of bored people so I won't bother. Instead of that, here are what some other notables have to say about the topic...

From a SCC article titled, "How to: LIE With a Dyno"-
Corrected numbers, on the other hand, can be suspect in certain cases as well. Turbocharged cars running at high altitude, for example, might be more accurately represented by uncorrected numbers...

The SAE correction factor used by Dynojet assumes that lower air pressure at the sensor box means lower air pressure in the intake manifold, though, so at 5,000 feet the dyno is applying a 20-percent correction factor to compensate for a loss of air density that the engine never sees. This is fine if you are doing all your tests in Denver, but if you do one test in Denver and one test in New Orleans (the highest mountain in New Orleans is 12 feet above sea level) uncorrected numbers will be more accurate.

And from an article titled, "Dynos Don't Lie. Or Do They?" by Shiv S. Pathak of Vishnu Performance Systems
Altitude

For example, let's consider a dynamometer located at 5000 feet above sea level. At such elevation, most cars suffer terribly due to the lack of air density. As a result, their power outputs fall noticeably compared to identical cars that operate at or near sea level. For this reason, just about every dynamometer applies a hefty altitude correction in the magnitude of 20% (SAE correction, in this case). This means that a car that put down an actual 100 wheel hp is "corrected" up to 120 wheel hp. While this correction amount is reasonably accurate in some cases, it is notoriously optimistic in the case of turbocharged engines. In such engines, power output rarely falls as dramatically in response to air density reduction. This is due to their turbo control systems that combat air density reductions by allowing for higher boost pressures. These increased boost pressures can almost completely offset the ambient pressure reduction and make the "altitude correction" almost completely unnecessary. However, I have yet to see a high-altitude tuner come forth and not apply the positive correction factor when displaying their grossly optimistic dyno results.

In short, the wastegate controls the manifold pressure on a turbo car more than ambient conditions do and the SAE correction factor is highly optimistic. Beyond the wastegate, the ratio of the change of pressure is different as well (2 psi at 14.7 psia is a different percentage than 2 psi at 34.7 psia).

Last edited:
it aint even possible at 20 psi comon guys.... Look at all the other Big turbo guys whoosh whos got a gt35 at 20 psi made 386awhp even the 411whp guy used 25 psi on a gt30 and your actually gonna believe that dyno?

if he's making 386 AWHP at the same amount of boost with the same setup, wouldn't it be possible to make more with only FWD? less drivetrain loss?

Well, I will post some pictures of the setup. What manifold are you running? What downpipe and what turbine housing?
Our setup runs a much higher flow turbo manifold with a Tial 38mm wastegate on the top of manifold right at the collector, a 0.82 A/R turbine housing and a large 3 inch donwpipe and catless exhuast system with 2 straight resonators.
The intercooler is a Spearco core with a 24 x 7 x 3 with cast aluminum end tanks. The intake is a Fujita and the fuel pump has been upgraded.
I have not seen the car at the track, but my customer says that it is very hard to drive as it spins the tires all the way thru 3rd gear. We tried to fit my slicks, but the calipers on the MSP3 are lerger than the regular 3 and did not fit. But we expect a mid to high 11 second run.
I will keep posting with new results if I get any soon. The owner is out of town ans we are waiting for him to get back so we can have the car and start the engine build.

Well, I will post some pictures of the setup. What manifold are you running? What downpipe and what turbine housing?
Our setup runs a much higher flow turbo manifold with a Tial 38mm wastegate on the top of manifold right at the collector, a 0.82 A/R turbine housing and a large 3 inch donwpipe and catless exhuast system with 2 straight resonators.
The intercooler is a Spearco core with a 24 x 7 x 3 with cast aluminum end tanks. The intake is a Fujita and the fuel pump has been upgraded.
I have not seen the car at the track, but my customer says that it is very hard to drive as it spins the tires all the way thru 3rd gear. We tried to fit my slicks, but the calipers on the MSP3 are lerger than the regular 3 and did not fit. But we expect a mid to high 11 second run.
I will keep posting with new results if I get any soon. The owner is out of town ans we are waiting for him to get back so we can have the car and start the engine build.

Nice to have you back Juan, its being a long time. are you guys still making and selling Hiboost parts ? Im so happy and impressed with the results of what your Brother manuel did to my car..

Nice to have you back Juan, its being a long time. are you guys still making and selling Hiboost parts ? Im so happy and impressed with the results of what your Brother manuel did to my car..

Thank you, yes we are still selling Hiboost parts. We are now building an inventory so we can ship the kits at the moment that people order. All Protege kits are still available, MSP intercooler kits and Turbo upgrades and a new line of products for the MSP3, MSP6 and CX7 will be available soon.
I am glad that everything finally worked for you. I remember working on your ported head and getting those gears for you before your trip to Spain.
BTW. if you know of people interested in the kit for the Renault Megane II, we have it and makes huge power; 300 WHP at 14 psi on the 2.0 liter engine.

Thank you, yes we are still selling Hiboost parts. We are now building an inventory so we can ship the kits at the moment that people order. All Protege kits are still available, MSP intercooler kits and Turbo upgrades and a new line of products for the MSP3, MSP6 and CX7 will be available soon.
I am glad that everything finally worked for you. I remember working on your ported head and getting those gears for you before your trip to Spain.
BTW. if you know of people interested in the kit for the Renault Megane II, we have it and makes huge power; 300 WHP at 14 psi on the 2.0 liter engine.

I dont want to thread Jack, but i really have a potential market for you guys in here, i know you guys do Turbo kits for renault, Seat, Ford Focus, Mazda and basically lots of European cars you guys have there in South America. How can we have a better conversation?, we might work something nice out. let me know if you have a number i can call you or email, just PM me your information..

I dont want to thread Jack, but i really have a potential market for you guys in here, i know you guys do Turbo kits for renault, Seat, Ford Focus, Mazda and basically lots of European cars you guys have there in South America. How can we have a better conversation?, we might work something nice out. let me know if you have a number i can call you or email, just PM me your information..

Just send me your information at info@hiboost.com and I will contact you.

Juan

I don't think reducing ride weight will increase HP, it'll just make the car pull better with what available HP is already has.

Back