Off Topic So slow I'm ashamed...

Update.....his 2060 is running 94%, 76 degrees (where it maxed) at idle on Valorant on lowest settings. He checked his fan curve and said it looked good. I told him to remove the side of the case to see if that has any effect.
76 really isn't bad for a card on air. How old is the card? If this is temps slowly getting worse over time, maybe repaste it.

@7eregrine @ColoradoDriver So that isn't a bad temp at just idle? Seems high to me as I take "idle" to mean that is not during gameplay?

It is a Gigabyte GeForce RTX2060 that we bought in 2020. I asked and he did not put paste on the GPU as it is air cooled and his buddy who assisted with the build did not suggest it. His buddy has a 2060 Super with no thermal issues. Do they come with paste pre-applied and it is necessary to re-apply if needed? I too have only ever heard of using paste on the CPU.

@7eregrine @ColoradoDriver So that isn't a bad temp at just idle? Seems high to me as I take "idle" to mean that is not during gameplay?

It is a Gigabyte GeForce RTX2060 that we bought in 2020. I asked and he did not put paste on the GPU as it is air cooled and his buddy who assisted with the build did not suggest it. His buddy has a 2060 Super with no thermal issues. Do they come with paste pre-applied and it is necessary to re-apply if needed? I too have only ever heard of using paste on the CPU.
Maybe I misunderstood. I thought you were saying the card was at 94% utilization, or is that fan speed?

If its 76 at idle, then yeah that's not good at all.

I think you misunderstand the paste thing. Everything that has a gap between a chip and a cooler has paste, thermal pads, or thermal putty. In this case, the GPU die has paste between it and the cooler, while the memory chips and VRMs use thermal pads.

If you are seriously at 76C during idle, then something is definitely wrong and you should see if it needs to be repasted. Thermal paste doesn't remain effective forever and 20-series cards are nearing what...almost 5 years old now?

See this teardown video of a Gigabyte 2060 OC to see what I mean: GIGABYE RTX2060 OC TEARDOWN

Here is a pic he sent me. These are the numbers he is seeing while on the main screen. He said the idle temp of the PC is around 50 and jumps right to 60 when he opens the game. He then watches it rise to between 75 and 80.

That makes perfect sense! Seeing that the GPUs come PNP, it never occurred to me that one could tear it down and re-apply paste or thermal pads. Thank you! I sent him the link you provided and he is unsure about his ability to do it. But I found a local guy who has done work for me in the past that said he can/will do it. The boy child comes home tomorrow for Thanksgiving break so we are reaching out tomorrow night to set up a day for him to drop it off.

Thanks again for your help and insight!

Attachments

• PC Log.jpg
    PC Log.jpg
    94.2 KB · Views: 55
OK, my bad, too. I was thinking you were telling us the PROCESSOR was running at 74. Which is fine.

I'm going to disagree with CD on the paste though. Really bro?
Repasting a GPU? Never, not once ever, nor would I ever. ONLY a processor should ever be manually pasted and that's once: the first time you attach it.
I also SINCERELY doubt this is the problem with the over heating. Willing to bet on it.
I think this is a bad idea.

Last edited:
OK, my bad, too. I was thinking you were telling us the PROCESSOR was running at 74. Which is fine.

I'm going to disagree with CD on the paste though. Really bro?
Repasting a GPU? Never, not once ever, nor would I ever. ONLY a processor should ever be manually pasted and that's once: the first time you attach it.
I also SINCERELY doubt this is the problem with the over heating. Willing to bet on it.
I think this is a bad idea.
Man you and I usually see eye to eye, but I got vehemently disagree with you here.

How long have you owned and continually used a single card before upgrading? Repasting a card is usually the very first thing one should do as maintenance if the card is nearing 5 years old of use and basic things have been verified like the fans still working, dust cleaned out, etc. 76 at idle probably means that there is bad contact between the die and the cooler.

EDIT: Though see my post below, I don't think this needs to be repasted now as that pic definitely does not show the card at idle. It's at 94% utilization/load. 76C is totally normal for that.

Last edited:
Here is a pic he sent me. These are the numbers he is seeing while on the main screen. He said the idle temp of the PC is around 50 and jumps right to 60 when he opens the game. He then watches it rise to between 75 and 80.

That makes perfect sense! Seeing that the GPUs come PNP, it never occurred to me that one could tear it down and re-apply paste or thermal pads. Thank you! I sent him the link you provided and he is unsure about his ability to do it. But I found a local guy who has done work for me in the past that said he can/will do it. The boy child comes home tomorrow for Thanksgiving break so we are reaching out tomorrow night to set up a day for him to drop it off.

Thanks again for your help and insight!
Hmm...so that 94% means the card is at 94% utilization/load. That's not idle. That's basically nearly the complete opposite of idle.

Go to desktop, make sure no apps are running and then tell me what the temp is. 71C or 76C under an almost 100% load is normal. Just because a menu in the game is open, that's not the same as "idle". Idle really means desktop with no apps running. Might want to cancel that appt. 76C under load for the 2060 is completely normal. If you hit 88C+ while gaming, then that's definitely too hot and you'll thermal throttle. 76C? Its fine and to be expected depending on if this is the dual fan or triple fan cooler.

Last edited:
Man you and I usually see eye to eye, but I got vehemently disagree with you here.
Yea, we're going to have our first argument here. :D
My 2070 was a used miner card. I used that thing for almost 2 years, never repasted it.

dust cleaned out, etc. 76 at idle probably means that there is bad contact between the die and the cooler.
As you said prior to this, 74 degrees at 90%+ utilization is actually not that bad. One could even say it's pretty damn cool. I mean?!?!? Paste... this is not the problem. We are chasing an issue that... isn't an issue.

Yea, we're going to have our first argument here. :D
My 2070 was a used miner card. I used that thing for almost 2 years, never repasted it.

As you said prior to this, 74 degrees at 90%+ utilization is actually not that bad. One could even say it's pretty damn cool. I mean?!?!? Paste... this is not the problem. We are chasing an issue that... isn't an issue.
Right. I thought it was 76C with no load which is why I thought the cooler/die had a mount issue. But that's clearly not the case. There is no issue here, and definitely does not need to be repasted. In this case, I am totally agreeing with you that it is not needed now that I saw that screenshot of the card at 94% load, definitely not idle.

As for the 2070, 2 years is fine. Mining has a constant load. If anything, gaming is more stressing as its load is variable with many more heating and cooling cycles. Over time paste can dry up, or it can also have what is called a "pump out effect" where these cycles can cause the paste to "pump out" the sides. But in general shouldn't need to repast within 2 years. I was talking more like 5 or more years.

Last edited:
@7eregrine @ColoradoDriver Points duly noted. I will reach out to my son tonight to get more info. From what he told me that screen shot was taken with all other apps closed and only the main menu for the game running? I will ask him to double check and send me a screen shot with everything closed to see what those same numbers are.

@CTt3P5

How Hot Is Too Hot? What's a Good GPU Temperature?
If you keep your GPU in the normal temperature range, from 65 to 85°C (149° to 185°F), it will last for a long time and shouldn't be affected by heat damage or other issues. Similarly, ensuring your GPU is clean from dust, that your ambient room temperature is okay, and that you have sufficient GPU cooling (and overall case cooling) are also vital to keeping your GPU functioning.

So? WE GAMING OR WHAT??

Origin handle: ChainedAlice
Apex Legends Clan MZD. Awww yea.
Haven't made that yea, BUT I WILL. :D

So? WE GAMING OR WHAT??

Origin handle: ChainedAlice
Apex Legends Clan MZD. Awww yea.
Haven't made that yea, BUT I WILL. :D
I've not played that game really, but I do have it on Steam. Will I still be able to search/find you if you are using Origin?

So I did a thing. Time to make the carpet match the drapes. (Time to give the video card the subsystem she deserves).
Solid! My Wife just upgraded from a 4790k to a 12700k system too (with a 3070 Ti). It's a beast.

Did you get those at Micro Center? Looks like MC price tags. They've been doing some decent Intel bundles around here.

Been playing with my 3080 Ti and playing with combined overclocks and undervolting. Most undervolting guides on YouTube are just straight up wrong as most of them actually overvolt most of the lower parts of the frequency/voltage curve.

I did a TimeSpy run yesterday locked in at 900mV with a +210 Core clock and +1100 memory clock which gave me a near solid 1965mhz core clock and 1325mhz memory clock (21Gbps effective). My real limitation I keep hitting is the power limit as the Founder's Edition card only uses 2x 8-pins (adapted to the Nvidia 12-pin), while many aftermarket cards have 3x 8-pins. As such, even with power limit maxed at 114% in Afterburner, its capped at 400W.

When I ran another without a capped voltage, I did get higher boosts at times up to 2145mhz, but the average frequency bounced around a lot more, and only marginally scored better.

Here was the 900mv run: I scored 20 060 in Time Spy
And the uncapped voltage run: I scored 20 093 in Time Spy

Seriously considering learning how to shunt mod at this point, and getting a 3x 8-pin adapter.

Did you get those at Micro Center? Looks like MC price tags. They've been doing some decent Intel bundles around here.
You bet! My god the deals!?!? Buy a processor, get a mobo for $50. WTF?
I had to ask he guy working the department "how the hell can you cut $130 off a mobo?!?" They have so much quantity, that they do this all the time to move stuff they have too much of. In this case they had too many of those processors. I price matched everywhere and no one could touch that. Not Amazon, not BB... I was like "I can't not buy this..." LOL

Back