Off Topic So slow I'm ashamed...

You bet! My god the deals!?!? Buy a processor, get a mobo for $50. WTF?
I had to ask he guy working the department "how the hell can you cut $130 off a mobo?!?" They have so much quantity, that they do this all the time to move stuff they have too much of. In this case they had too many of those processors. I price matched everywhere and no one could touch that. Not Amazon, not BB... I was like "I can't not buy this..." LOL
Yep. Intel did not sell as many 12th gen or 13th gen as they were hoping so it doesn't surprise me that there is an oversupply of both processors and motherboards. Great job. 12700k is a beast.

My son said he’s been trying to get a NVIDIA® 4090 video card replacing his old one since last October but couldn’t find one so far. Is it really that hard to get a 4090?

You can't just say "The retail price of a 4090 is $1599."
There are many companies making them and even companies making various models of them.

Yep, this $1,599.99 NVIDIA GeForce RTX 4090 24GB GDDR6X Graphics Card selling by the Best Buy is the one he’s looking for. But it’s out of stock everywhere or online at the Best Buy all the time. Once he was excited found one but had to drive 2,200 miles from San Jose to a small town Best Buy in Illinois to get it! You could order It online but it can’t be shipped. You have to pick it up at the store there!

Yep, this $1,599.99 NVIDIA GeForce RTX 4090 24GB GDDR6X Graphics Card selling by the Best Buy is the one he’s looking for. But it’s out of stock everywhere or online at the Bess Buy all the time. Once he was excited found one but had to drive 2,200 miles from San Jose to a small town Best Buy in Illinois to get it! You could order It online but it can’t be shipped. You have to pick it up at the store!
Sounds like a great excuse for a road trip! haha

Probably someone here from small town Illinois that would pick that up for you. :D

Like buying cars, my son said he refuses to buy this 4090 video card over the MSRP which is $1599. 🤪
Good luck with that. Fake MSRPs really. The only 4090 card that would for sure have that MSRP is the Founder's Edition card directly from Nvidia (sold through Best Buy) and good luck finding one.

Unlike cars, MSRP doesn't really mean much as most cards come from add in board partners (AIB's) where basically Nvidia sells them the chip and the memory and they build the cards. Often Nvidia sells them for so high its impossible for those companies to actually be at MSRP as they then have to design the board, and cooler.

But at the same time a lot of AIBs also like to pull dumb moves like adding small factory overclocks and adding $100 to the price and you can often see 4-5 (or even more) SKUs for the same card and often they'd stop making the lower cost ones that were actually at or close to MSRP.

Graphics Card market right now is a hellish wasteland in need of a correction. I would expect the 40990 to continue to be difficult to find. They are selling out any that they make and have otherwise reallocated a lot of that silicon to data center/server products.

Last edited:
Good luck with that. Fake MSRPs really. The only 4090 card that would for sure have that MSRP is the Founder's Edition card directly from Nvidia (sold through Best Buy) and good luck finding one.

Unlike cars, MSRP doesn't really mean much as most cards come from add in board partners (AIB's) where basically Nvidia sells them the chip and the memory and they build the cards. Often Nvidia sells them for so high its impossible for those companies to actually be at MSRP as they then have to design the board, and cooler.

But at the same time a lot of AIBs also like to pull dumb moves like adding small factory overclocks and adding $100 to the price and you can often see 4-5 (or even more) SKUs for the same card and often they'd stop making the lower cost ones that were actually at or close to MSRP.

Graphics Card market right now is a hellish wasteland in need of a correction. I would expect the 40990 to continue to be difficult to find. They are selling out any that they make and have otherwise reallocated a lot of that silicon to data center/server products.
Thanks for the explanation. To me I really don’t feel my son needs a new video card as his current one (forgot the GPU model) looks like having plenty of power. The shortage is a good thing IMO that he can save that $1599.99 for something else at this time.

One thing I can never understand is why the chip shortage has been lasting this long? We can say most shortages started when the pandemic started. But the COVID has been with us for 3 years now, and it’s been treated like a regular flu and most countries don’t care anymore. Trade war may also be a part of the problem and the severe inflation but who started it?

Another question that will never get a true answer is why those big COVID vaccine makers could have the vaccines ready to be tested for phase one 3 days after the WHO posted the COVID virus genome sequence in January 2020?

One thing I can never understand is why the chip shortage has been lasting this long? We can say most shortages started when the pandemic started. But the COVID has been with us for 3 years now, and it’s been treated like a regular flu and most countries don’t care anymore. Trade war may also be a part of the problem and the severe inflation but who started it?

Another question that will never get a true answer is why those big COVID vaccine makers could have the vaccines ready to be tested for phase one 3 days after the WHO posted the COVID virus genome sequence in January 2020?
Its actually not a chip shortage anymore. Nvidia is asking TSMC to let them out of some of their contracted silicon wafer allocation (i.e. what Nvidia agreed to buy).

In the gaming space, Nvidia is selling rather poorly on both the 4080 and the just released 4070 Ti because both are priced astronomically high compared to the cards they replaced (3080 was $699 MSRP, 4080 has $1199 MSRP, 3070 had $499 MSRP and the 4070 Ti has $799 MSRP) and both cards reflect extremely poor value and in many cases a stagnation on generational performance per dollar. Ironically, the 4090 at $1599 MSRP is the only one in the product stack that only got a marginal MSRP bump from last gen's 3090 ($1499), but with a massive performance uplift, especially at 4k. This is why it sells out. That said, it is still $1599, which in my opinion is an absurd price for a video card.

Anyway, 4070 Ti and 4080 rot on shelves, so make no mistake, there is no chip shortage in this case, and the real issue is companies like Nvidia and AMD trying to perpetuate an artificially high margin by pretending market conditions are still 2021 when they clearly are not. Cryptocurrency mining is bust, chip shortage (for these products) is gone, demand is not what it was in 2020-2021, etc. Its all greed. 4090 are only artificially limited because Nvidia has allocated AD102 silicon away from 4090's and towards data center/server products which can be sold for much higher costs/margins.

There is also the factor that Nvidia got caught with a massive amount of unsold 30-series cards when mining went bust and demand dropped. A lot of that high end product is now sold through, but the market is still saturated with new 3070 Ti and below products. 40-series pricing and availability manipulation has been a tool for them to try to move more 30-series products as well.

Don't beat me up too bad but my wife and I decided over the Christmas break to front our son the money to build a new rig. Only because he secured a job over Thanksgiving break and has been working almost non-stop since being home over the Christmas break. So we know he has the means for a down payment and a source of income when he comes home in the Spring. He was very ecstatic and appreciative and showed us his build on PC Part Picker immediately. lol

He was looking at a 4080 but hated the concept of paying "MSRP" knowing it was inflated but the 30 series cards were $100 to $500 more depending on where you found them. He has also read about the fire stories linked to the 40 series cards so that made him leery of them. Overhyped? I don't know but it made him uneasy.

This past Saturday night, I was browsing GPUs and saw a mention that they were in stock direct from NVIDIA. I went to their site and sure enough, they were in stock for $1099.99. He checked it against everything in his build list and it worked so we pulled the trigger. Specs for his new build:

• Case - Lian Li Lancool 216 case (non-RGB)
  • Mobo - ASUS ROG Strix X670E-E
  • CPU - AMD Ryzen 9 7900X
  • GPU - NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 Ti
  • Ram - G.Skill Ripjaws S5 Series DDR5 6000 (2 x 16GB)
  • Memory - Samsung 980 Pro SSD 1TB (x2)
  • PSU - Corsair HX1200
  • CPU Cooling - DeepCool Liquid Cooler LT720
  • Fans: Front - 160mm fans that come with the case (x2)
  • Fans: Bottom - Noctua NF-A12x25 PWM Chromax: 120mm (x2)
  • Fan: Rear - Noctua NF-A14 PWM Chromax: 140mm
He opted to go the AMD route this time and chose to go minimalistic in regards to RGB. Now the waiting game begins and the constant torture of "did it come yet, has it shipped?", etc. lol

Agree with most of C_D's post there except: There certainly still is a chip shortage. Part of that is just how quickly demand rebounded. There was so much backed up demand and the world 'returned to normal' rather quickly comparatively speaking. And China until very recently was still locking down cities and businesses.

That's a WHOLE different topic A large part of that is how similar SARS and MERS are to COVID. We almost had a SARS vaccine. But right when they got to the stage where they were going to test it, SARS petered out on its own. So big pharma was like... we're not wasting money or time on that now. So it was nothing to dust that off and repurpose it....wait, where did this topic come from? :D

Cool case. I am debating getting a new case and was actually eyeing that one.

Don't beat me up too bad but my wife and I decided over the Christmas break to front our son the money to build a new rig. Only because he secured a job over Thanksgiving break and has been working almost non-stop since being home over the Christmas break. So we know he has the means for a down payment and a source of income when he comes home in the Spring. He was very ecstatic and appreciative and showed us his build on PC Part Picker immediately. lol

He was looking at a 4080 but hated the concept of paying "MSRP" knowing it was inflated but the 30 series cards were $100 to $500 more depending on where you found them. He has also read about the fire stories linked to the 40 series cards so that made him leery of them. Overhyped? I don't know but it made him uneasy.

This past Saturday night, I was browsing GPUs and saw a mention that they were in stock direct from NVIDIA. I went to their site and sure enough, they were in stock for $1099.99. He checked it against everything in his build list and it worked so we pulled the trigger. Specs for his new build:

• Case - Lian Li Lancool 216 case (non-RGB)
  • Mobo - ASUS ROG Strix X670E-E
  • CPU - AMD Ryzen 9 7900X
  • GPU - NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 Ti
  • Ram - G.Skill Ripjaws S5 Series DDR5 6000 (2 x 16GB)
  • Memory - Samsung 980 Pro SSD 1TB (x2)
  • PSU - Corsair HX1200
  • CPU Cooling - DeepCool Liquid Cooler LT720
  • Fans: Front - 160mm fans that come with the case (x2)
  • Fans: Bottom - Noctua NF-A12x25 PWM Chromax: 120mm (x2)
  • Fan: Rear - Noctua NF-A14 PWM Chromax: 140mm
He opted to go the AMD route this time and chose to go minimalistic in regards to RGB. Now the waiting game begins and the constant torture of "did it come yet, has it shipped?", etc. lol

Solid build! Noctua fans are fantastic (though I hate the brown ones, they are ugly). The Chromax ones are great being black and have accent color pieces you can use for imo tasteful coloration without RGB lighting.

The melting connector thing with 4090's was in regard to the newer 16-pin 12VHPWR connector. It adapts the power of 2-4 regular 8-pin PCIe connectors into the single 16-pin. The problem with the 16-pin is 2 fold. User error in not actually connecting the plug all the way in, but then I also think that makes it a flawed design if the user cannot easily tell if the connector is fully seated and there's no good "click" like with traditional PCIe 8 and 6 pin power connectors. Given the high amount of power coming through the single connector, having it partially unseated even a bit can cause issues that lead to the melting connectors you saw. All 40-series cards appear to be using this new connector.

It is a bit of an evolution from the Nvidia 12-pin connector that debuted in the 30-series Founder's Edition cards. It's functionally the same thing but with the addition of the 4 sense pins. The 3090 Ti has the connector for the 16-pin but uses the 12-pin adapter (no sense pins). Just make sure its plugged in all the way and you'll be 100% ok. My 3080 Ti Founder's Edition has the 12-pin and I have not had a single issue with it and overclocked it draws 400W. May just need to apply a little extra force plugging in the adapter if you don't hear a strong audible click just to ensure it is all the way seated.

Agree with most of C_D's post there except: There certainly still is a chip shortage. Part of that is just how quickly demand rebounded. There was so much backed up demand and the world 'returned to normal' rather quickly comparatively speaking. And China until very recently was still locking down cities and businesses.
TSMC chips come from Taiwan, not China. Granted many of the other components or final card assembly do happen in China, but speaking strictly for Nvidia graphics chips, there is no chip shortage, only product shortages as engineered by Nvidia as they try to move unsold 30-series stuff, inflate 40-series pricing, and reallocate available high-end silicon to data center products.

Fight me now Colorado! The brown Noctua fans are GORGEOUS! :D
fight-couple.gif

I'm actually thinking of switching some of my fans out for Phanteks T-30's but not sure I have clearance yet. They are 5mm thicker than standard fans. That said, I think they look kind of ugly too.

To be fair I find most fans to be sort of ugly. :ROFLMAO:

Solid build! Noctua fans are fantastic (though I hate the brown ones, they are ugly). The Chromax ones are great being black and have accent color pieces you can use for imo tasteful coloration without RGB lighting.

The melting connector thing with 4090's was in regard to the newer 16-pin 12VHPWR connector. It adapts the power of 2-4 regular 8-pin PCIe connectors into the single 16-pin. The problem with the 16-pin is 2 fold. User error in not actually connecting the plug all the way in, but then I also think that makes it a flawed design if the user cannot easily tell if the connector is fully seated and there's no good "click" like with traditional PCIe 8 and 6 pin power connectors. Given the high amount of power coming through the single connector, having it partially unseated even a bit can cause issues that lead to the melting connectors you saw. All 40-series cards appear to be using this new connector.

It is a bit of an evolution from the Nvidia 12-pin connector that debuted in the 30-series Founder's Edition cards. It's functionally the same thing but with the addition of the 4 sense pins. The 3090 Ti has the connector for the 16-pin but uses the 12-pin adapter (no sense pins). Just make sure its plugged in all the way and you'll be 100% ok. My 3080 Ti Founder's Edition has the 12-pin and I have not had a single issue with it and overclocked it draws 400W. May just need to apply a little extra force plugging in the adapter if you don't hear a strong audible click just to ensure it is all the way seated.

TSMC chips come from Taiwan, not China. Granted many of the other components or final card assembly do happen in China, but speaking strictly for Nvidia graphics chips, there is no chip shortage, only product shortages as engineered by Nvidia as they try to move unsold 30-series stuff, inflate 40-series pricing, and reallocate available high-end silicon to data center products.

I am not a fan of the brown ones either but it is nice having options! That was his initial intent but after three phone calls this afternoon, he has decided to return the case and ram in favor of their RGB counterparts. Said he would rather not use it but have the ability to do so if he wanted. 🤦‍♂️

Yes, he was telling me about the power draw for the one cable. Thanks for the explanation of the user error re: install. Given the amount of power, you would think that NVIDIA would have made it so the builder could easily tell it is connected properly. Guessing something new is in the works?

I thought I remembered seeing the 3090 Ti FE having 2 8-pin cables in the listing on their site. Now that it is OOS, the description link has been removed. But still good info to know re: the 12-pin for when he installs it, thanks.

Fight me now Colorado! The brown Noctua fans are GORGEOUS! :D

So, are you on the pre-order list? 😝

Ada Lovelace

Back