Off Topic So slow I'm ashamed...

I am not a fan of the brown ones either but it is nice having options! That was his initial intent but after three phone calls this afternoon, he has decided to return the case and ram in favor of their RGB counterparts. Said he would rather not use it but have the ability to do so if he wanted. 🤦‍♂️

Yes, he was telling me about the power draw for the one cable. Thanks for the explanation of the user error re: install. Given the amount of power, you would think that NVIDIA would have made it so the builder could easily tell it is connected properly. Guessing something new is in the works?

I thought I remembered seeing the 3090 Ti FE having 2 8-pin cables in the listing on their site. Now that it is OOS, the description link has been removed. But still good info to know re: the 12-pin for when he installs it, thanks.

So, are you on the pre-order list? 😝

Ada Lovelace
Well the cable standard is really a PCI-SIG problem. Nvidia, Intel, and others all contributed to the design. I'd guess we'll see revisions in the future.

Re: Chip shortage? Hardly.

OMG WHY DID YOU SHOW ME THAT!?!?!?!
I do not need a video card, I do not need a video card, I do not need a video card....

:D
Yeah they've been doing that since last gen, they had a Noctua edition 3070 and 3080 I believe.

(Yea, I saw that that the 3### series had one too in that article)

OMG WHY DID YOU SHOW ME THAT!?!?!?!
I do not need a video card, I do not need a video card, I do not need a video card....

:D
So sorry about that. Haha

I too didn't know they were a thing with the 30 series cards until reading the article.

It is built and he is very happy with it. Overall the build went ok taking our time and I let him do all of the hands on stuff.
Gaming Rig.jpg
Gaming Rig1.jpg
Gaming Rig2.jpg
Gaming Rig3.jpeg

Thanks @7eregrine and @ColoradoDriver I snagged those pics before he started playing around with the ARGB more. The one thing he wishes he would have done is a custom cable for the GPU. It never crossed his mind until he was plugging the PCI-e cables that came with the PSU in and realized just how 'meh' they are in regards to form. lol

Thanks @7eregrine and @ColoradoDriver I snagged those pics before he started playing around with the ARGB more. The one thing he wishes he would have done is a custom cable for the GPU. It never crossed his mind until he was plugging the PCI-e cables that came with the PSU in and realized just how 'meh' they are in regards to form. lol
If your son got a NVIDIA 4090 GPU instead of a NVIDIA 3090 Ti, my son will be really jealous!

@yrwei52 We had a 4080 on order from Best Buy but he backed out before it was delivered with concerns of the melting cables. Tell your son to keep his eyes open. I was at my local Best Buy two weekends ago picking up an order and heard an associate telling another customer that they had a 4090 in store the day before.

Does the 3090 Ti connector have the 4 sense pins on the female plug on the card or just the 12? Could see if your power supply has a cable available that adapts natively. Or else can always go with a ModDIY or CableMod adapter or something. I agree the stock adapter that comes with the card is kinda ugly and hard to work with.

If your son got a NVIDIA 4090 GPU instead of a NVIDIA 3090 Ti, my son will be really jealous!
Some had popped up on Newegg again, specifically the Gigabyte Gaming OC model and I think an MSI model. Founder's Edition models are literally going to be the most difficult ones to find. Nvidia typically doesn't make a whole lot of them.

Does the 3090 Ti connector have the 4 sense pins on the female plug on the card or just the 12? Could see if your power supply has a cable available that adapts natively. Or else can always go with a ModDIY or CableMod adapter or something. I agree the stock adapter that comes with the card is kinda ugly and hard to work with.
When he connected it, I was doing some cable mgmt on the backside but I am going to guess 12? I know there was a smaller/shorter cable that came with the GPU which he plugged three of the PCI-e, 6+2 cables supplied with the PSU into.

Colorado, if you have a few minutes can you help me pick out some RAM, please?

Here's my mobo.

Here's what it says about the RAM:
4 x DIMM, Max. 128GB, DDR4 5333(OC)/5133(OC)/5000(OC)/4800(OC)/4600(OC)/4400(OC)/4266(OC)/4133(OC)/4000(OC)/3866(OC)/3733(OC)
/3600(OC)/3466(OC)/3400(OC)/3333(OC)/3200/3000/2933/2800/2666/2400/2133 Non-ECC, Un-buffered Memory*
Dual Channel Memory Architecture
Supports Intel® Extreme Memory Profile (XMP)
OptiMem II
*Actual Memory frequency support depends on the CPU types and DRAM modules, for more information refer to www.asus.com for the Memory QVL (Qualified Vendors Lists).

Any advice appreciated. Been a long time since I bought RAM that wasn't for a job PC.

Colorado, if you have a few minutes can you help me pick out some RAM, please?

Here's my mobo.

Here's what it says about the RAM:
4 x DIMM, Max. 128GB, DDR4 5333(OC)/5133(OC)/5000(OC)/4800(OC)/4600(OC)/4400(OC)/4266(OC)/4133(OC)/4000(OC)/3866(OC)/3733(OC)
/3600(OC)/3466(OC)/3400(OC)/3333(OC)/3200/3000/2933/2800/2666/2400/2133 Non-ECC, Un-buffered Memory*
Dual Channel Memory Architecture
Supports Intel® Extreme Memory Profile (XMP)
OptiMem II
*Actual Memory frequency support depends on the CPU types and DRAM modules, for more information refer to www.asus.com for the Memory QVL (Qualified Vendors Lists).

Any advice appreciated. Been a long time since I bought RAM that wasn't for a job PC.
DDR4 board? Samsung B-die is the best DDR4 but will also be the most expensive depending on if you are going for a 16GB kit or 32GB kit. You can usually tell if its set to 1.45v or more that its most likely a B-die kit. Hynix and Micron Rev E will usually be more like 1.35v. That said, if you aren't into overclocking and tuning RAM timings, then you don't really need b-die for a gaming PC and I'd look at just getting a good deal instead.

I am not really sure what the best speeds are for modern Intel to be honest. On my Zen 3 system, memory speeds are best kept at a 1:1 ratio with FCLK (infinity fabric clock), so top I can get is a 3600 kit I OC slightly to 3733 as my fclk won't go above 1866. Intel you can usually clock much higher as you don't have that limitation.

I would look at the motherboard's QVL (qualified vendor list). They usually have a list of RAM kits they tested working from each vendor. Keep in mind to get advertised RAM speeds and not just jedec defaults, you'll need to enable XMP. Really anything that looks like a good deal and has a decent frequency/timings should do fine. In general, I think a good DDR4-3600 kit is a good middle ground of price to performance. C14 would be b-die most likely and C16 would be Hynix. The Hynix can usually be had for a good deal.

Last edited:
Back