Project Pay2Play: My Eunos Cosmo has arrived!

Nope, the tuning "scene" down here is pretty bogus. Hampered by cheap customers (a good chunk are military and only stay here 2-3 years, I'm military also, but not cheap lol), and lazy, uninspired, take-all-day-long shops. I believe there was once one in the early 2000's, but was since shut down due to costs and not being used a lot. The only tunes coming out of this place from shops are street tunes from cars running extremely rich, with sooty rear bumpers.

In the long run it's saving me money though, I don't want to upgrade my turbo's or get a repaint until I'm out of here (cryhard)

That being said though, there's still a handful a very, very nicely done cars here.

Interesting...I had no idea, thanks for the info...I've been there twice for vacation...The first time I spotted a Cosmo and took this pic...

3190110313_2305112482_b.jpg

Do you recognize the shop and or the Cosmo? I took this pic in early 2009...

Can't say I've heard of the shop, I'll ask around, I'm kind of curious too. Unfortunately I only know of another running Cosmo here and it isn't that one. There's a '95 SX model with only 33K KM's, it's a very, very clean and original Cosmo.

Cool...Good to know there is at least another running Cosmo in Okinawa...Got pics? Know the owner? If so, we'd love to see them join and post about it...

On a related note...I can't even remember the last time I saw a Eunos Cosmo on the street or at a Mazda-related event! It must be several years now... :(

Update!

Delays unfortunately :( I got a msg from Kawato-San today...He ran into a wiring issue that should be easy to fix but it will take more time...That and he's busy now supporting Mad Mike while he competes in Formula Drift Japan @ Fuji Speedway.

Update!

I'm happy to report I've got my Cosmo back...Here's what has been done...

- HKS F-Con V Pro (version 3.3) installed in the left panel of the front passenger footwell...Completely hidden from view

- Custom Wiring Harness

- HKS Pressure Sensor

- HKS Intake Temp Sensor

- HKS Sensor Wiring Harness

- HKS EVC6-IR Electronic Boost Controller

- Titanium Intake Pipe

- Dyno Tuning on Dynapack

- New NGK Sparkplugs

- AF Sensor Hub installed

The result of all this is 310 ps (306 hp) / 325 lb-ft at the wheels running 9psi on a factory stock 20B and auto transmission both with slightly over 40,000km (24,855 miles). The only engine related upgrades I have are an intake and cat-back exhaust (stock down pipe and catalytic converter etc).

I'm very pleased with this result considering how stock my engine setup is...It appears it would not be difficult to achieve around 400 hp at the wheels...If this is "Stage 1", Stage 2 would involve upgrading the fuel pump, intercooler, intercooler piping and radiator...Further stages would involve upgrading the entire exhaust system, the turbos, the transmission etc etc etc...:D

That said I want to maintain a "balanced" approach to upgrades...I'm eyeing suspension and wheels next...

Kawato-San from TCP Magic now carries and recommends DG-5 Coilovers...
291_0568_1391937146.jpg

As for wheels, I'm thinking about the VOLK RACING RE30...I've been told they would fit the Cosmo nicely in addition to being light and extremely strong (one piece forged)...
FD.jpg

Well that's all for now...I would like to thank Kawato-San for all is hard work and advice! As you can imagine, the Cosmo definitely feels more powerful and boost comes on much faster thanks to the new HKS EVC6-IR. Overall, the 20B now feels more alive and more aggressive but still silky smooth and well-behaved (unless you unleash the beast within)...I've also noticed that it seems to run cooler now...It's hot and humid as hell in Japan now but I'm not seeing the same max engine temps I'm used to seeing in summer...Especially when parking after a run, it didn't surpass 100 c (212 f) which it easily did before this upgrade...This is a major bonus to me because I'm always concerned about engine temps in summer.

Stay Tuned! :D

306HP at the rears is a great number with the current setup Antoine. I think that's about 220Kw in the 'new money' which is similar to what I got with the Emanage Ultimate before getting rid of it

9 psi is low - sure it wasn't 0.9 bar? If it was only 9 psi then you have got about 50HP left in it before the turbos run out of breath.

306HP at the rears is a great number with the current setup Antoine. I think that's about 220Kw in the 'new money' which is similar to what I got with the Emanage Ultimate before getting rid of it

9 psi is low - sure it wasn't 0.9 bar? If it was only 9 psi then you have got about 50HP left in it before the turbos run out of breath.

Thanks for the feedback, Berty!

Good to know about the turbo limits...As for the psi, I don't want to push it too hard while I'm still mostly stock...Kawato-San recommends I upgrade the fuel pump and those rubber tubes that connect the intercooler pipes because they're probably as old as the car...He's concerned they might fail if the boost is increased...Eventually I want to upgrade those parts anyway along with the radiator and intercooler etc (aka Stage 2)...[emoji106][emoji106]

That's an even greater torque figure too! Always found it incredible how much more torque the 3rd rotor adds.

No doubt...Any idea how much torque a 13B-REW would generate with similar mods..?

Here's one with the legendary BNR Stage 3 turbo's. Crazy right?

96krqs.jpg

What're your plans for a radiator? I desperately need one, but I've only found that PWR makes aluminum ones at the tune of nearly $1200 USD. They referred me to their Japanese branch, and they quoted me nearly Y140,000, AND it had to be special made, AND I'd have to wait until the "race" season when other custom radiators were being made.

I still have the stock radiator (unamused)

Holy 20B, that is crazy...I had no idea it was that drastic...Highly modified and the torque output is still quite a bit less than my lightly modified 20B with the stock turbos...Thanks for the info...Good to know!

As for the radiator...Good question...I'm in the same "boat" as they say...I'm still running the stock radiator and I dread getting stuck in traffic during the summer. That said, I do believe the F-CON V Pro is making the 20B run cooler...I haven't got stuck in traffic yet with the new setup...I plan on going for a long drive soon and I will be sure to post any observations. In terms of price...I've been quoted similar figures as well...I believe you can still order one from RE Amemiya and I think it's "order made" so that means expensive and you'll have to wait etc...There might still be a cheaper option from Koyo but it's copper and designed as a factory replacement (if I'm not mistaken).

I'm hoping I can get away with running the stocker for another summer while I save for a new suspension...I'm also now running the Okuyama Radiator Cooling Plate and "Sports Coolant" which I believe is helping to keep temps in check!

Well done Antoine, some nice mods there. Does the HKS F Con keep the turbos working sequentially, nice one if it does. Great choice in wheels too, they would look fab on the Cosmo.
Darryl

Thanks, Darryl!

Yes...I'm still running the stock turbos sequentially and enjoying it...Glad you like those wheels too, they are still my top choice.

Update...I've taken the Cosmo out on a few runs after the recent upgrades and everything is running beautifully except...

-> If I turn the key to get electrical power (dash and radio come on), I now hear a loud clicking sound from the engine bay

-> The exhaust now produces a light popping sound after quickly accelerating and decelerating in 2nd gear...This probably has less to do with the gear and more with the process of quickly accelerating and decelerating I'm guessing...

-> Occasionally, If I accelerate for an extend period of time (say on the highway) and then let my foot off the pedal, I occasionally get a POP from the exhaust

-> Possibly unrelated to the recent upgrades...I'm now hearing an occasional loud squealing sound from the engine bay when I accelerate with the air con on...I'm suspecting this has to do with the belts and or the ac system

Other than that...The Cosmo is now doing an amazing job of keeping cool and I feel like the 20B is not having to work as hard as it did before to accelerate...This is especially noticeable when driving up mountain roads and when passing other cars...I now hit 5K a lot sooner than before which is great...I'm sensing that the Ol' auto box now has to work harder to keep up with the 20B's new found power and response...Eventually I want to "beef up" the transmission to better match and handle the 20B's increasing power.

Still, I've got to take care of my suspension first...Plus, I've got new issues to sort as mentioned above...Step by step as they say...

Those popping sounds from your exhaust are just small backfires, it's probably nothing at all the worry about as I'd take an educated guess and say the FCON and your tuner probably increased the injector duty cycles. No worries though, mine occasionally does the same on hard pulls, and I have a RE-A ECU and titanium exhaust. My FD barked and popped a lot with a Power FC. So as long as it not back firing excessively, you should be fine, and grin slightly when it happens, especially if it happens next to a Prius.

Back firing and rotaries go hand in hand like peanut butter and jelly.

As for the air con squealing, your belt probably just needs tightening. Just make sure you don't tighten it too much and snap the very skinny tension bolt....like I did. My car is doing the same same thing and it's extremely annoying because it's super hot and humid down here. My issue is that my belts keep getting stretched. Bought 3 more last week, waiting on delivery lol. Another temp fix it keeps squealing is to try and rub a bar of soap on the ribbed part of the belt.

Last edited:
-> If I turn the key to get electrical power (dash and radio come on), I now hear a loud clicking sound from the engine bay
Is it a single click or several? I'm not familiar with how the FCON is installed on a Cosmo but perhaps it's a relay switching on.

-> The exhaust now produces a light popping sound after quickly accelerating and decelerating in 2nd gear...This probably has less to do with the gear and more with the process of quickly accelerating and decelerating I'm guessing...
This is likely just a result of the tune and can be caused by more or less excess fuel in the exhaust.

-> Occasionally, If I accelerate for an extend period of time (say on the highway) and then let my foot off the pedal, I occasionally get a POP from the exhaust
Same as above.

-> Possibly unrelated to the recent upgrades...I'm now hearing an occasional loud squealing sound from the engine bay when I accelerate with the air con on...I'm suspecting this has to do with the belts and or the ac system
Definitely check the belts.

Other than that...The Cosmo is now doing an amazing job of keeping cool and I feel like the 20B is not having to work as hard as it did before to accelerate...This is especially noticeable when driving up mountain roads and when passing other cars...I now hit 5K a lot sooner than before which is great...I'm sensing that the Ol' auto box now has to work harder to keep up with the 20B's new found power and response...Eventually I want to "beef up" the transmission to better match and handle the 20B's increasing power.
I'd just monitor how the transmission shifts. Is it taking longer, making more noise, etc. Those are clear indicators the transmission isn't up to the task.

Still, I've got to take care of my suspension first...Plus, I've got new issues to sort as mentioned above...Step by step as they say...
I would say most of those aren't issues. Trying to get more power out of the engine is going to result in some interesting noises.

Those popping sounds from your exhaust are just small backfires, it's probably nothing at all the worry about as I'd take an educated guess and say the FCON and your tuner probably increased the injector duty cycles. No worries though, mine occasionally does the same on hard pulls, and I have a RE-A ECU and titanium exhaust. My FD barked and popped a lot with a Power FC. So as long as it not back firing excessively, you should be fine, and grin slightly when it happens, especially if it happens next to a Prius.

Back firing and rotaries go hand in hand like peanut butter and jelly.

As for the air con squealing, your belt probably just needs tightening. Just make sure you don't tighten it too much and snap the very skinny tension bolt....like I did. My car is doing the same same thing and it's extremely annoying because it's super hot and humid down here. My issue is that my belts keep getting stretched. Bought 3 more last week, waiting on delivery lol. Another temp fix it keeps squealing is to try and rub a bar of soap on the ribbed part of the belt.

Thanks for the info and suggestions...The popping sound / sensation is quite mild most of the time and I've heard a noticeable "POP" just a couple times so far...I do like the sound and it's funny you mention backfiring near a Prius...I was thinking that would be fun...It would be great to see the reaction on the Prius Driver's face!

That said, is there anything that can be done to reduce the backfiring..?

Is it possible that flames are coming out of my exhaust when it backfires?

Thanks as well for the air con info...I'm hoping it's just a loose belt issue or something that is easy and inexpensive to fix. This is the first time this has happened and I've driven in quite a few Japanese summers now...I'm planning on doing some fixes and upgrades after the weather cools down...If it's not an emergency issue, I'll wait until then to sort it.

Is it a single click or several? I'm not familiar with how the FCON is installed on a Cosmo but perhaps it's a relay switching on.

Several and it seems to speed up the longer I let it continue...It does sound like something clicking / switching on and off...It's definitely loud!

This is likely just a result of the tune and can be caused by more or less excess fuel in the exhaust.

Is this unavoidable with my setup? Can it be tuned out? Is it causing any damage?

Definitely check the belts.

Will do!

I'd just monitor how the transmission shifts. Is it taking longer, making more noise, etc. Those are clear indicators the transmission isn't up to the task.

Will do...I think my transmission can handle the additional power for now but anymore and I've been told I should consider upgrading the transmission internals because it might start slipping...Unfortunately, it's an expensive procedure in Japan. Ultimately, I want to do it though...Just need time and money as always...

I would say most of those aren't issues. Trying to get more power out of the engine is going to result in some interesting noises.

Thanks for the input and reassurance...Very true...I'm looking forward to the challenge and the reward...So far so good!

Back