New Revised Mazda OEM Oil Filter? Pics

anyman

:
Mazda CX-5 GT
Just picked up an OEM oil filter for my 2015 CX5 GT and noticed it has a new part number and no longer has the louvered metal tube. It looks like they've done away with that and now have a plastic tube instead. Does that look correct? It's also made in the USA. I'm sure it's fine but it threw me off. Part number is PE01-14-302B-MV. Anybody else seen these new filters?

IMG_3321.jpgIMG_3320.jpgIMG_3323.jpgIMG_3324.jpgIMG_3322.jpg

I wonder if the "value products" printed on the box is a clue....I just bought two new filters and they say "genuine parts" on the box. they still have the metal tube. I have read that Mazda has two different grade parts the genuine and the value products line.

Yeah, I knew these were the "cheaper" filters but the last Value one I bought had a louvered metal tube instead of this plastic one. I may call the dealer to see if they have the regular filters.

So I took that filter back and got the Thailand-made version they have in stock (1WPE14302). Nice actual metal tube with punched out holes. Feel better about using this one and it was 50 cents cheaper.

So I took that filter back and got the Thailand-made version they have in stock (1WPE14302). Nice actual metal tube with punched out holes. Feel better about using this one and it was 50 cents cheaper.
What? The NON-value one was cheaper? Heh!

@RedBaron Yeah. So bizarre. I told the parts guy that I didn't feel comfortable with that plastic tube in lieu of a metal one. He said the value one is all they use (obviously) and they haven't had problems. Good for them I guess. I'd rather stick with these nicer ones....and for cheaper.

He said they still make them and they had like 50 of them in stock. So I don't think we'll see these Thailand-made ones going away soon.

Well let's think about this.

If there's not much difference in price but it's made in the USA, there could be justification for supporting that. If it's all the dealership uses and they don't have problems with them, that is.

Of course if you want the best, you get the best. The problem is we don't have any objective test data on these so we don't know which one is better. But most of us car nuts tend to shy away from products with "value" in the name.

Maybe someone could send a few filters to someone for testing.

This rings a faint bell from years ago regarding what is/was called "E-core" design with the plastic center tube. Maybe found in Walmart Supertech and AC Delco oil filters and I believe were made by Champion Labs here in the USA. There should be information on the E-core filters on the BITOG (bobistheoilguy.com) website should one be curious and possibly other websites.

Just because this dealership is charging more for the MV value line of filters doesn't mean that everyone is charging more.

I thought that the MV stood for (made in) Mexico Value line? If they're now being made here in the States then shouldn't it be USV or AV?

No matter, it's still the value line and there's a reason for that.

Just because this dealership is charging more for the MV value line of filters doesn't mean that everyone is charging more.

I thought that the MV stood for (made in) Mexico Value line? If they're now being made here in the States then shouldn't it be USV or AV?

No matter, it's still the value line and there's a reason for that.
My guess is 'MV' stands for "Mazda Value".

Back