Mazda - Made in Mexico Oil Filters are Faulty

littlebear

:
2017 Mazda CX5
Went to Mazda dealer to get a Mazda oil filter. Only filter they have available for my 2017 Mazda CX-5 (non turbo) was the Made in Mexico Mazda Value oil filter # PE01-14-302a-MV

I inspected the inside of the filter prior to install and found that most of the punched oil holes were closed and the remaining open ones were barely even open to let any oil into the filter. Suffice it to say, I did not install it and will return this defective filter.

Made In Mexico.jpg

Fortunately, I had a Made in Thailand # 1WPE-14-302 in my cabinet and used that.

Made In Thailand.jpg

Huge difference in the quality of the oil filter holes on the two filters. The Made In Mexico filter should be recalled as the filter holes are non existant and most of the oil will bypass the filter element. Lesson learned. Will only go with the Made in Thailand or just get a Wix or Mobil 1 filter going forward. The Mazda dealer is sending out these filters on cars and who knows what the long term damage will be?

Attachments

• Made In Thailand 2.jpg
    Made In Thailand 2.jpg
    48.8 KB · Views: 219
what do you mean holes are closed?
its not clear but from the picture holes are visible.
there is a membrane usually. same on the factory oem

BA5CFFBD-8FB8-443C-A180-62925458BC27.png

Depending on the engine, some filters spec out an anti-drainback valve, some don't. Not sure which engine gets which though, but that absolutely is a thing.

I think he's talking about the perforations on the ID, not the end.
It's hard to tell though, they might not be straight through, but more like 'louvered' punches.

Screenshot 2022-12-12 070105.png

aha that makes sense :) didnt see that on my mobile phone. With the zoom its a bit more clear.
Interesting internal construction. There was a cutout picture of the Mexico filter on other forums. may be a comparison will show if thats how it is or this one is defective indeed.

It's hard to tell though, they might not be straight through, but more like 'louvered' punches.

View attachment 314614
While I didn't check the mexico filter(it was all my dealership had), I can assure you the oil still passes through, even when not under pressure. I always fill up filter before install and pour oil into the center of filter...it soaks in and I need to keep adding oil until the filter is 3/4 full. If the oil seeps through the "louvers" without pressure, it should easily pass when under pressure with engine and oil pump running. While I agree the Thailand filters appear better and I plan to get some, the mexico filter is in no way appears to be extremely detrimental to engine, at least short term.
It does make you wonder why they have two completely different designs though... 🤔🤔

here is what I found. not the best picture but its clear how it looks.
I am pretty sure there are tens of thousands even more cars with that filter as the Mazda dealers almost always use this one for oil changes. Bigger profit :)
CX5s engine oil pressure (idle and under load) is also a bit on the lower side vs other cars I had before. So it could be that the MV is ok filter.
I also agree the non MV one is better and thats what I always use.

A3FBFEAA-F334-4E39-9A6D-E3B0C5B88BB4.jpeg

Last edited:
While I didn't check the mexico filter(it was all my dealership had), I can assure you the oil still passes through, even when not under pressure. I always fill up filter before install and pour oil into the center of filter...it soaks in and I need to keep adding oil until the filter is 3/4 full. If the oil seeps through the "louvers" without pressure, it should easily pass when under pressure with engine and oil pump running. While I agree the Thailand filters appear better and I plan to get some, the mexico filter is in no way appears to be extremely detrimental to engine, at least short term.
It does make you wonder why they have two completely different designs though... 🤔🤔

I agree, if they are louvers, oil flow should not be an issue.
Very common design across the automotive universe.

View attachment 314614

Yes, the louvered slots, most of them are not even open. The remaining ones are barely open. Unlike the Japanese and Thailand filters, which have numerous large round openings.

Depending on the engine, some filters spec out an anti-drainback valve, some don't. Not sure which engine gets which though, but that absolutely is a thing.

The filter sits upside down in the 2017 CX-5. Oil can't really flow anywhere as gravity is holding it since it is upside down underneath the engine.

If the louvers are CLOSED shut, how are they supposed to work?

More than half the louvers in this filter are closed due to a faulty punching system at the factory. I've seen plenty of louvered filters and they are fully punched and open. I don't have an issue with properly punched and open louvers. These louvers were not punched properly and are closed shut. The picture doesn't show it clearly but I viewed them under light and they are closed shut.

If the louvers are CLOSED shut, how are they supposed to work?

More than half the louvers in this filter are closed due to a faulty punching system at the factory. I've seen plenty of louvered filters and they are fully punched and open. I don't have an issue with properly punched and open louvers. These louvers were not punched properly and are closed shut. The picture doesn't show it clearly but I viewed them under light and they are closed shut.
I have to agree with littlebear / Lbear that at least this Mazda OEM “Value” oil filter he just got is defective. There‘s no way an oil filter has so many “louvered” punches in its internal filter element. I do believe it’s an isolated case and it definitely will restrict the oil flow once it’s installed. Remember the uniqueness of Mazda OEM oil filter used on SkyActiv-G is “High-Flow”, and it won’t work like a “high-flow” oil filter if there’re “louvered” flow holes!

B60E86B4-5DE7-491E-8FCE-8B0794B4CE45.jpeg

Please contact Mazda North American Operations and complain. This make us questioning that how does Mazda handle the QC at least on its OEM parts, and they shoul simply drop the entire line of “Value” parts!

I have to agree with littlebear / Lbear that at least this Mazda OEM “Value” oil filter he just got is defective. There‘s no way an oil filter has so many “louvered” punches in its internal filter element. I do believe it’s an isolated case and it definitely will restrict the oil flow once it’s installed. Remember the uniqueness of Mazda OEM oil filter used on SkyActiv-G is “High-Flow”, and it won’t work like a “high-flow” oil filter if there’re “louvered” flow holes!

View attachment 314622

Please contact Mazda North American Operations and complain. This make us questioning that how does Mazda handle the QC at least on its OEM parts, and they shoul simply drop the entire line of “Value” parts!
Krikees! I just did an oil change last week...was in hurry to get to family function so didn't pay attention to the louvers...
I mean seriously who takes the time to inspect the filters.

Now you all got me wondering if i need to just get the tiawan filters and do another oil change asap.
If i do, I'm gonna cut the damn filter open to see whats happening.

Krikees! I just did an oil change last week...was in hurry to get to family function so didn't pay attention to the louvers...

Now you all got me wondering if i need to just get the tiawan filters and do another oil change asap.
If i do, I'm gonna cut the damn filter open to see whats happening.
Ha, it’d be a hard decision for me if I were you. Although it may not take too much time, but it’s still a hassle. And you want to get a spare oil filter in case your “Value” OEM oil filter just installed also has so many closed louvers.

If you decide to check it, please take some pictures and let us know.

Luckily I have always been getting Tokyo Roki or Denso Mazda OEM oil filters for oil change on my Mazda CX-5 and Toyota Yaris iA.

Now I'm confused. They also have PE01-14-302A made in Japan??
Are the PE made in Japan better than PE made in Mexico? Or is it better to just get the 1WPE-14-302 Taiwan filters?
Does anyone know the differences between all 3 ?

Attachments

• Screenshot_20221212-151831.png
    Screenshot_20221212-151831.png
    106.4 KB · Views: 108
I always chose the Thailand Filters
1-wpe-14-302
and have never had an issue. The Japanese filters do not seem as easy to find in N. America.

I had two of these "Value" filters leak on me. Even the guy at the Mazda parts counter referred to the others as the better ones.

Now I'm confused. They also have PE01-14-302A made in Japan??
Are the PE made in Japan better than PE made in Mexico? Or is it better to just get the 1WPE-14-302 Taiwan filters?
Does anyone know the differences between all 3 ?
The difference is the part number ending with the “MV”. Whenever you see that, that’s Mazda’s “Value” line maintenance parts although there’s another “regular” line of Mazda OEM maintenance parts like everybody else.

Mazda had superseded Japanese made Tokyo Roki oil filters installed in the factory by Thai made Denso oil filters and Mexican made “Value” oil filters in US market.

Mazda OEM oil filter part numbers:

Mazda2 1.5L:
B6Y1-14-302A (Made by Tokyo Roki in Japan).

Mazda CX-5 2.5L NA:
PE01-14-302A (Made by Tokyo Roki in Japan) / PE01-14-302B (Made by Tokyo Roki in Japan) ->
1WPE-14-302 (Made by Denso in Thailand) / PE01-14-302A-MV (Mexico).

Mazda CX-9 / CX-5 2.5T:
PY8W-14-302 (Made by Tokyo Roki in Japan) ->
1WPY-14-302 (Made by Denso in Thailand) / PY8W-14-302-MV (Mexico).

You can get Japanese Tokyo Roki PE01-14-302B and PY8W-14-302 oil filters directly from partsouq.com website or the same seller partsouq on eBay. Although partsouq is located in United Arab Emirates but people usually can receive the parts in a week. Be aware most US online sellers will ship Mexican made “Value” MV or Thai made Denso oil filters even if you ordered with Tokyo Roki oil filter part number.

The difference is the part number ending with the “MV”. Whenever you see that, that’s Mazda’s “Value” line maintenance parts although there’s another “regular” line of Mazda OEM maintenance parts like everybody else.

Mazda had superseded Japanese made Tokyo Roki oil filters installed in the factory by Thai made Denso oil filters and Mexican made “Value” oil filters in US market.

Mazda OEM oil filter part numbers:

Mazda2 1.5L:
B6Y1-14-302A (Made by Tokyo Roki in Japan).

Mazda CX-5 2.5L NA:
PE01-14-302A (Made by Tokyo Roki in Japan) / PE01-14-302B (Made by Tokyo Roki in Japan) ->
1WPE-14-302 (Made by Denso in Thailand) / PE01-14-302A-MV (Mexico).

Mazda CX-9 / CX-5 2.5T:
PY8W-14-302 (Made by Tokyo Roki in Japan) ->
1WPY-14-302 (Made by Denso in Thailand) / PY8W-14-302-MV (Mexico).

You can get Japanese Tokyo Roki PE01-14-302B and PY8W-14-302 oil filters directly from partsouq.com website or the same seller partsouq on eBay. Although partsouq is located in United Arab Emirates but people usually can receive the parts in a week. Be aware most US online sellers will ship Mexican made “Value” MV or Thai made Denso oil filters even if you ordered with Tokyo Roki oil filter part number.
So it's best to get them in this order ?
1. Japanese Roki( if possible)
2. Thailand Denso
3. Mexican Value

So it's best to get them in this order ?
1. Japanese Roki( if possible)
2. Thailand Denso
3. Mexican Value
Yes. And I prefer OEM oil filters over one-size-fit-all aftermarket oil filters due to the unique “high-flow” spec for SkyActiv-G engines.

Back