Mazda - Made in Mexico Oil Filters are Faulty

5 quarts puts my 2022 CX-5 half way between full and 1 quart low. Is this a factory attempt to kill DIY?
How many quarts does it take if 5 doesn't do it ? Or are you saying the read is 1 quart low ?

DIY is definitely discouraged , at least in the OM - Thank God for this forum and the people here that share their knowledge !

I put 5 quarts in and at around 7k miles the oil light came on. Put 5.5 quarts in the next time.

Drain for about 10mins. new oil filter (non MV)

No turbo -> 5quarts gets you just above the middle on the stick. 5.1-5.2 should get the max level.
Turbo takes more -> 5.1 quarts gets you in the middle. around 5.3 gets the near max.

Anything in the middle and above is ok. Going over the max is not ok.

I always dump 5qts in my non-turbo and 5.2 in my turbo. Gets me above the middle of the stick (low/high area).

The turbo model is more sensitive to lower or even mid levels. Also may get valve ticking in the cold weather until the oil gets into the top of the head parts.

Last edited:
How many quarts does it take if 5 doesn't do it ? Or are you saying the read is 1 quart low ?

DIY is definitely discouraged , at least in the OM - Thank God for this forum and the people here that share their knowledge !
I can imagine why my Dealership wants $130 for the full synthetic oil change I can do for under $35 which includes the filter!

I can imagine why my Dealership wants $130 for the full synthetic oil change I can do for under $35 which includes the filter!
Yup. Just make sure you keep records/receipts of the oil changes being done in case you need any warranty work done by the dealer. I was asked to produce mine when they needed to change the lifters on my 2018.

I would say no contest on cost alone ...however- nearly every oil change experience at a dealer has been less than reassuring - I find they " topped it off " once, the SR said..... - It was over the top marker - and I asked the tech to come out ... he said .." its fine that will just burn off " ..Also when I went home and did the next oil change myself ...value line filter ... So i am sure not all dealers are like that but if you want it done right ...DIY ....as well I dont need to say no to a bunch of other stuff I do my self ,,,cabin filter , Air filter etc .

Drain for about 10mins. new oil filter (non MV)

No turbo -> 5quarts gets you just above the middle on the stick. 5.1-5.2 should get the max level.
Turbo takes more -> 5.1 quarts gets you in the middle. around 5.3 gets the near max.

Anything in the middle and above is ok. Going over the max is not ok.

I always dump 5qts in my non-turbo and 5.2 in my turbo. Gets me above the middle of the stick (low/high area).

The turbo model is more sensitive to lower or even mid levels. Also may get valve ticking in the cold weather until the oil gets into the top of the head parts.
Thanks 4 that -- I did my NA last night and went 4.9qts and it leaves about 1mm below the top circle / max mark. Thats checking it when ice cold in the garage ...If I follow Mazdas protocol , and let the car sit " at least 5 mins "-still hot- it reads dead center . Do you do a cold read or hot ?

Thanks 4 that -- I did my NA last night and went 4.9qts and it leaves about 1mm below the top circle / max mark. Thats checking it when ice cold in the garage ...If I follow Mazdas protocol , and let the car sit " at least 5 mins "-still hot- it reads dead center . Do you do a cold read or hot ?
Based on my experience as well as many others, 5.2 quarts get you to the Full / Max mark on the dipstick for the 2.5L NA although the manual says 4.8 quarts; 5.5 quarts get you to the Full / Max mark on the dipstick for the 2.5T although the manual says 5.1 quarts. This’s provided you give enough time to drain the warm oil and the CX-5 is on a level ground.

Checking the oil level warm or cold shouldn’t matter too much either. My experience is about the same:

2022 CX-5 NA oil level question

IMO I want every fluid level in full so that I have maximum safety margin in case if there’s any leak or consumption developed. My 2.5L on my 2016 CX-5 burns about 0.5 quart per 5,000 miles. I want the oil level at the Full mark with 5.2 quarts filled so that I don’t need to top off before I do next oil change.

Another experience is the Toyota dealer overfilled my 2018 Toyota Yaris iA (happens every time from the dealership oil change experience) on a free oil change under ToyotaCare for the new car. We drove the car 380 miles afterwards from San José to LA. I rechecked the oil level next morning and there was no oil on the dipstick! I added 1 quart brought the level to just over the minimum, and added more while driving back. The dealer claimed the drain plug (aluminum) gasket was “damaged” hence it was leaking oil! I couldn’t help to think if the tecn didn’t overfill the oil and the 1.5L engine could get ruined! Every procedure in any service manual will say refill any fluid to the Max or Full mark just for larger safety margin. Even the Mazda says you add the engine oil to the Max / Full mark when the oil is approaching to the Min or Add mark.

Another example is Mazda says 0.48 quart Gen 1 / 0.37 quart Gen-2 CX-5 for rear differential gear lube. Then you follow the procedure and refill the gear lube to the brim of the fill hole, you need at least 0.7 quart!

Last edited:
Based on my experience as well as many others, 5.2 quarts get you to the Full / Max mark on the dipstick for the 2.5L NA although the manual says 4.8 quarts; 5.5 quarts get you to the Full / Max mark on the dipstick for the 2.5T although the manual says 5.1 quarts. This’s provided you give enough time to drain the warm oil and the CX-5 is on a level ground.

Checking the oil level warm or cold shouldn’t matter too much either. My experience is about the same:

2022 CX-5 NA oil level question

IMO I want every fluid level in full so that I have maximum safety margin in case if there’s any leak or consumption developed. My 2.5L on my 2016 CX-5 burns about 0.5 quart per 5,000 miles. I want the oil level at the Full mark with 5.2 quarts filled so that I don’t need to top off before I do next oil change.

Another experience is the Toyota dealer overfilled my 2018 Toyota Yaris iA (happens every time from the dealership oil change experience) on a free oil change under ToyotaCare for the new car. We drove the car 380 miles afterwards from San José to LA. I rechecked the oil level next morning and there was no oil on the dipstick! I added 1 quart brought the level to just over the minimum, and added more while driving back. The dealer claimed the drain plug (aluminum) gasket was “damaged” hence it was leaking oil! I couldn’t help to think if the tecn didn’t overfill the oil and engine could get ruined! Every procedure in any service manual will say refill any fluid to the Max or Full mark just for larger safety margin. Even the Mazda says you add the engine oil to the Max / Full mark when the oil is approaching to the Min or Add mark.

Another example is Mazda says 0.48 quart Gen 1 / 0.37 quart Gen-2 CX-5 for rear differential gear lube. Then you follow the procedure and refill the gear lube to the brim of the fill hole, you need at least 0.7 quart!
Drain plug gasket was damaged ? Thats odd - or an excuse -- were the threads stripped ?
I had and overfill a few years back ..stupidly Iet a dealer do it and , I demanded they do it over , the GM said ok - but that was the last time I let anyone else do anything except a warranty issue or something I cant do due to needing a lift or the right tools - sorry to hear that -

Drain plug gasket was damaged ? Thats odd - or an excuse -- were the threads stripped ?
I had and overfill a few years back ..stupidly Iet a dealer do it and , I demanded they do it over , the GM said ok - but that was the last time I let anyone else do anything except a warranty issue or something I cant do due to needing a lift or the right tools - sorry to hear that -
I certainly know the tech couldn’t “damage” the aluminum drain plug gasket, but possibly just forgot to tighten the plug up.

The server manager gave me another free oil change as I’d mixed 2 quarts of Castrol Edge with their Toyota OEM oil (yep this particular Toyota dealer uses OEM bottle Toyota 0W-20 oil which is supposedly relabeled Mobil 1) and willing to do a compression test for me. Luckily the 1.5L Mazda engine haven’t showed any oil consumption issue and when I changed the oil after the 2-year ToyotaCare ended, the drain hole thread and drain plug are fine.

Back