Mazda - Made in Mexico Oil Filters are Faulty

So the "value" type filter with the louvered punched holes appears to have an anti-drainback valve under the base-plate inside the filter.

The premium Mazda Thailand filter has no anti-drainback valve present.

Does this Mazda CX5 oilpump and plumbing is designed such that anti-drainback is un-necessary, and anti-drainback functionality is somewhere else in the lube system?

Before this 2015 CX5, my home fleet included a Toyota 22RE, and depending on the filter I used - Fram was the worst - a hot restart 10 minutes after shutdown would get three or four "knocks" on startup before oil got to whatever was knocking. And when I shut down and did an oil change, the filter was always mostly empty. Wix filters did not knock on a hot-start, and were full when removed for oil change. Cold startups required a few seconds of crank for the fuel injection to initialize and inject, so cold startups never "knocked". So the anti-drainback valve in the filter does something on a 22RE Toyota.

Given the absence of anti-drainback valve on the Mazda-supplied Thailand filter, it appears the anti-drainback valve built into the filter would be extraneous.
I don’t have a Mazda “Value” oil filter in hand, but it doesn’t have the anti-drainback valve either if I remember it correctly. From the pictures cz5gt posted above, that little something at the bottom of the canister is the by-pass valve. Since it’s a cost-cutting “value” oil filter, I don’t believe Mazda would spend an extra 1¢ to have a unnecessary anti-drainback valve in there.

The oil filters used on Mazda’s SkyActiv-G engines, the 2.5L and the 2.5T, don’t need any anti-drainback function is because it’s installed vertically with the opening up. The oil inside the canister won’t go anywhere when the oil circulation is stopped. The oil supply will be there from the oil filter once the engine starts.

Last edited:
I don’t have a Mazda “Value” oil filter in hand, but it doesn’t have the anti-drainback valve either if I remember it correctly. From the pictures cz5gt posted above, that little something at the bottom of the canister doesn’t seem to be the anti-drainback valve. And it’s a cost-cutting “value” oil filter, I don’t believe Mazda would spend an extra 1¢ to have one in there.

The oil filters used on Mazda’s SkyActiv-G engines, the 2.5L and the 2.5T, don’t need any anti-drainback function is because it’s installed vertically with the opening up. The oil inside the canister won’t go anywhere when the oil circulation is stopped. The oil supply will be there from the oil filter once the engine starts.
Yes oil follows the law of physics it doesn't leak up!

Does anyone still have an unused mexico MV value filter left? I used my last one. Now reading(on another site) that some have metal shavings /flakes.

I didnt notice anything when put the last filter on but I didnt look over it with a fine tooth comb either.

Can anyone look at and see if any metal shavings are visible in the threads and inlet holes??

Also next oil change , ill cut open the MV filter and post pics. Can someone do the same with the thailand or jdm filters?

Last edited:
Does anyone still have an unused mexico MV value filter left? I used my last one. Now reading(on another site) that some have metal shavings /flakes.

I didnt notice anything when put the last filter on but I didnt look over it with a fine tooth comb either.

Can anyone look at and see if any metal shavings are visible in the threads and inlet holes??

Also next oil change , ill cut open the MV filter and post pics. Can someone do the same with the thailand or jdm filters?
Here:

Actually at least 3 different Mazda OEM oil filters had been cut open before at Bob is the Oil Guy:

Mazda PE01-14-302 Factory Filter CUT OPEN

Mazda 1WPE-14-302 Filter 5k mi - Mystery Bypass!

Mazda PE01-14-302A-MV used cut open 7,779 miles

Mazda Skyactiv PE01-14-302A-MV Cut Open

You’re welcome to cut open these OEM oil filters and give us your opinion. But based on the reports from BITOG we can tell MV oil filter is the worst among 3. I can tell the quality of the MV oil filter is not up to the standard of the other 2 because it comes with non-greased and different flat gasket and without paper box.

Just did the first oil change on my 2019 cpo Touring. This is what came off the car. If the dealer is using these I’m going to say these are safe to use. I replaced it with the same model number.

Attachments

• 6F37E70E-EB30-4B15-A024-CD7A14E25656.jpeg
    6F37E70E-EB30-4B15-A024-CD7A14E25656.jpeg
    96.3 KB · Views: 119
Just did the first oil change on my 2019 cpo Touring. This is what came off the car. If the dealer is using these I’m going to say these are safe to use. I replaced it with the same model number.
That is a VALUE filter, the lowest quality and cheapest of the 3 versions. The dealer only uses it to make more profit on the service since it barely costs them anything, not because its the best choice for your engine. Personally, I don't buy or use anything that is "value" line when in this case you should spend the couple extra bucks and get either the Thailand made filter, or best Japanese Tokyo Roki filter and not have to think about whether this Mexican made filter is any good with suspect quality.

I think the frequency of oil and filter changes is more important than filter itself.

Watched video other day..they tore engine apart that had used 20,000 mile Mobil 1 extended filter and oil and was still somehow barely running. And whoever ran it, decided that 20,000 sounded good to them.
Filter must have become plugged, oil was in horrible shape, bearings were grinded into metallic dust sludge at bottom of oil pan, cams and journal were gored and the cylinders had long gouges from all the circulating metal particles, and the bearings were basically torn apart. They didn't understand how the engine was still running, albeit at reduced performance.

People should stick to the Mazda manual recommended changes between 5000 and 7500 miles.
My goal is 6000 to 6500 mile oil changes even though Blackstone report says the oil could last to 9000 miles.

But I do like the Thailand filters.

But I do like the Thailand filters.
Mazda’s Thai made oil filters are made by Denso which actually is related to Toyota, hence those filters have the quality of Toyota’s.

I like the shrink wrapped cover on the opening top preventing dust, and the greased O-ring type gasket on this Thai filters and Japanese Tokyo Roki oil filters.

Mazda’s Thai made oil filters are made by Denso which actually is related to Toyota, hence those filters have the quality of Toyota’s.

I like the shrink wrapped cover on the opening top preventing dust, and the greased O-ring type gasket on this Thai filters and Japanese Tokyo Roki oil filters.

More like Toyota filters and Mazda's Thai filters have the quality of Denso, the manufacturer.

@littlebear, if you suspect the MV filters to be faulty, I would suggest that you contact Mazda Corporate to inform them. At least then they will be aware of the situation and the perspective that some of their customers may have, which may prompt them to act on the issue.

That is a VALUE filter, the lowest quality and cheapest of the 3 versions. The dealer only uses it to make more profit on the service since it barely costs them anything, not because its the best choice for your engine. Personally, I don't buy or use anything that is "value" line when in this case you should spend the couple extra bucks and get either the Thailand made filter, or best Japanese Tokyo Roki filter and not have to think about whether this Mexican made filter is any good with suspect quality.
I don’t necessarily disagree with you except when you say suspect quality. Where is the evidence of this? Just because a product is labeled as value or is cheaper, doesn’t make it bad. It very well may be inferior, but it’s hard to see a dealer selling or using filters that will damage your engine And opening them up to huge liability.

More like Toyota filters and Mazda's Thai filters have the quality of Denso, the manufacturer.
Nippon Denso started by Toyota, and right now is the Toyota Group of companies with bout 25% of the Denso is owned by the Toyota. The sales of the Denso to Toyota Group accounted for about 50% of its total revenue.

I don’t necessarily disagree with you except when you say suspect quality. Where is the evidence of this? Just because a product is labeled as value or is cheaper, doesn’t make it bad. It very well may be inferior, but it’s hard to see a dealer selling or using filters that will damage your engine And opening them up to huge liability.
If there’s a better choice with a couple of bucks more, why do you want to settle for an “inferior” one? The “standard” Mazda OEM oil filters and many other “standard” maintenance parts look much better in packaging and workmanship, even in quality, than the Mazda’s “Value” line maintenance parts. We may not be able to tell the performance difference on oil filters, but many had tried “Value” windshield wipers and brake pads, they all were very disappointed. At least one experienced DIY member here had used the “Value” oil filter and had oil leak problem from the flat gasket.

I personally will not use any Mazda “Value” maintenance parts. Those “louvered” punches would restrict the oil flow with my common sense, and Mazda says theses SkyActiv-G engines require a special “high-flow” oil filter.

View attachment 314660
View attachment 314661

Obviously, if you have a preference to fill to the max line, you may need more oil. I think most would agree that being too close to the min mark is unacceptable. Usually I fill to at least halfway between the holes and it's perfect for 8000km OCIs. But we're getting off topic at this point. We do have other threads that cover this topic if you guys want to continue the conversation there.
Artistic composition posted without comment ;) :
1698174525583.png

Yes - I ike the oil fill topic ! Its a " grey " area indeed -- Dealers tell you one thing ,and actually filling with exact spec amounts puts the level 3/4 up closer to the max line - ( at least on my N/A ) - It calls for 4.8qts w/ filter in the 23 owners manual - I put 4.9 -- its still acceptable but not at max. There must be overfill tolerances that exceed 1/2 quart

Yes - I ike the oil fill topic ! Its a " grey " area indeed -- Dealers tell you one thing ,and actually filling with exact spec amounts puts the level 3/4 up closer to the max line - ( at least on my N/A ) - It calls for 4.8qts w/ filter in the 23 owners manual - I put 4.9 -- its still acceptable but not at max. There must be overfill tolerances that exceed 1/2 quart
5 quarts puts my 2022 CX-5 half way between full and 1 quart low. Is this a factory attempt to kill DIY?

Back