New Mazda5 owner, general Mazda questions

I had a damaged wheel once as well, it cracked right at the bead. I found a really good OEM replacement on eBay for well under $100 shipped.

Since you have to buy multiples, know that if you get a complete set, wheels from a Mazda3, Mazdaspeed3, and RX-8 are all direct bolt ons, and the RX-8 wheels look absolutely *amazing* on our vans.

Well I got the alignment today and atleast two wheels are completely bent. They let me look at each of them as they were on the balancer. That’s where my wheel shake was coming from. Any suggestions on where to buy some stock rims? Or a place where I can just get aftermarket rims? I see on the Mazda parts website they want about $700 per wheel. Elsewhere I see them for around $250 each. Anyone have some rims laying around they want to sell?

For your Mazda 5...
16 inchers at junkyard are only $50 to $60 apiece or $240 for all 4.

17 inchers at junkyard between $100 and $400 each. So 17 inch expensive . If you want 17 inch check your local yard for pricing. Maybe you'll be lucky.

My CX-5 currently has 16 inch (Mazda tribute rims from salvage yard that were $25 each that were powdercoated) for better ride and good tires are cheap.

If you need/want 17 inch just get some aftermarket rims from discount tire or tirerack for $100 to $200 each.

Also you could check salvage yard for different model rims that might fit like "theblooms" mentioned above. Just make sure offsets are close.

Last edited:
I had a damaged wheel once as well, it cracked right at the bead. I found a really good OEM replacement on eBay for well under $100 shipped.

Since you have to buy multiples, know that if you get a complete set, wheels from a Mazda3, Mazdaspeed3, and RX-8 are all direct bolt ons, and the RX-8 wheels look absolutely *amazing* on our vans.
Are they substantially different in weight? Does it make sense to go for, say, mazdaspeed3 rims because they are significatly lighter?

The major advantage of the MZ3, MS3, or RX-8 wheels are the fact you can now run front MS3 brakes on your MZ5. The MZ5 wheels will not clear those big brakes at all.

Now, the next time you need brakes, you're ready for the upgrade! And yeah, it's a huge upgrade. Probably the best bang for the buck performance upgrade you can do for our vans.

Don't know what size wheels you have now (probably 16's), but know that if you keep your tires, about your only choice is going for base model MZ3 16's. The other wheels like on the MZ3 S are 17's, and the MS3 and RX-8 wheels are 18's.

Sorry. Yea I have the 17” it’s a grand touring. I’ll have to call some local places and see if they have some stock rims. I’ll gladly pay $100 each. I really don’t want to buy a whole new set because I want to keep it stock looking and tire shops balk at aftermarket wheels. Now if I can find a complete set with tires for $800 or something I would go that route. I’m trying to find out for sure if the Mazda 3 17” will fit.

Right now I had them put the two bent rims on the rear. Now the shake feels like it’s in my seat and not in the front end. After the alignment that brought it back to true and there isn’t anymore steering wheel shake. Oddly now the entire vehicle has a weird vibration that’s annoying, I know it’s because those two rims are on the rear…

From wheel-size.com

Mazda 5 stock
205 50 r17 on 6.5x17 ET 52.5
Or
215 50r17 on 7 x 17 ET 50

Mazda 3 stock
205 55r17 on 6.5 x17 ET 50 newer
205 50r17 on 6.5x17 ET 52.5 older depending on model year

So very close if not exact

Like theblooms said...you shouldn't have a problem as they are direct bolt ons with same cb and pcd and appears same to similar offset.

Most salvage yards check for rim to be true and test for bends,etc. and most(not all) won't sell defective bent rims.
Usually got 30 days to return.
Look for cracks and bends before buying.
Test at home by rolling and by screwdriver method while car on jackstands. Or take it to your local tire shop and have them check. Return before 30.

Again, most salvage yards now are big business which sell to body shops for insurance repairs so they usually don't sell known defective parts. For rims they will grade them and price them dependent on curb rash, scratches and corrosion. But they usually scrap the cracked and bent ones.

Last edited:
Sorry. Yea I have the 17” it’s a grand touring. I’ll have to call some local places and see if they have some stock rims. I’ll gladly pay $100 each. I really don’t want to buy a whole new set because I want to keep it stock looking and tire shops balk at aftermarket wheels. Now if I can find a complete set with tires for $800 or something I would go that route. I’m trying to find out for sure if the Mazda 3 17” will fit.

Right now I had them put the two bent rims on the rear. Now the shake feels like it’s in my seat and not in the front end. After the alignment that brought it back to true and there isn’t anymore steering wheel shake. Oddly now the entire vehicle has a weird vibration that’s annoying, I know it’s because those two rims are on the rear…

Check this deal out. And they would look absolutely amazing. And if you live in the CONUS, tires are free! (Read the description)

Last time I ever buy a vehicle from DC. Apparently they have notoriously bad roads. I’ll see if I can get some stock rims first and then I’ll check the other avenues. At least now I can drive it relatively trouble free.

My drivers side window sticks on the first two inches as it tries to go down. I see this is a common mazda problem. When I’m sitting inside the vehicle I have to grab the left part of the window and pull it down and then it goes. Every single time. I was going to try some light grit sandpaper on the inside seal and then add some silicon lubricant.

Last time I ever buy a vehicle from DC. Apparently they have notoriously bad roads. I’ll see if I can get some stock rims first and then I’ll check the other avenues. At least now I can drive it relatively trouble free.

My drivers side window sticks on the first two inches as it tries to go down. I see this is a common mazda problem. When I’m sitting inside the vehicle I have to grab the left part of the window and pull it down and then it goes. Every single time. I was going to try some light grit sandpaper on the inside seal and then add some silicon lubricant.
Skip the sandpaper, just add some silicone paste to the rubber track. A little goes a long way!

6c5e48c3-028d-4802-960d-f26b871a5734._CR35,0,300,400_PT0_SX300__.jpg

I was poking around and found an LKQ pick a part somewhat locally Baltimore. Seeing their online price list a wheel is $59. They have one mazda 5 in grey that has at least two wheels (pic of only one side), has front end damage. Looks like that’s what I’m going to do. I need a few parts anyways so this seems perfect! Thanks for all the help. I’ll see what else I may need before I go up that way.

I was poking around and found an LKQ pick a part somewhat locally Baltimore. Seeing their online price list a wheel is $59. They have one mazda 5 in grey that has at least two wheels (pic of only one side), has front end damage. Looks like that’s what I’m going to do. I need a few parts anyways so this seems perfect! Thanks for all the help. I’ll see what else I may need before I go up that way.
Not sure where you're at but you could also try Erdmans and Smitty's in Pasadena/Severna park area if they're still in business. Those were my go-tos when in Maryland. There also was a place up in north Baltimore, forget the name though. Not too familiar with the LKQ's but it seems they've expanded quickly and become the McDonalds of junkyards so that should be plenty of choice and cheaper prices for you maybe.

EDIT:
Nope. Was curious and checked the regional LKQ that's 2 hours away from on me and imo, the prices are way high for salvage parts for the parts i need. However in your case, $59 per wheel is decent price, but maybe check some of the smaller local junkyards first for better pricing.

Last edited:
Sure will and yeah, I live in AA county. Small world. I’ll check out those up in severna park. I’m currently in SMD but I’ll be up that way soon. I’ll give them a call Monday. I have been to plenty of junkyards with my dad back in the 90s to get all sorts of things. I have not been to a pick and pull in ages. They are so much fun! Except for the bees and wasps in the summertime.

Sure will and yeah, I live in AA county. Small world. I’ll check out those up in severna park. I’m currently in SMD but I’ll be up that way soon. I’ll give them a call Monday. I have been to plenty of junkyards with my dad back in the 90s to get all sorts of things. I have not been to a pick and pull in ages. They are so much fun! Except for the bees and wasps in the summertime.
Yep. Nice area but too fast moving. When I was there, the woods disappeared and become housing developments. The pace of change was astounding. Good to be back in the country. You all have the best seafood though. No thing like fresh blue crab. Is Carol's creek restaurant still in Annapolis?

Grew up in Dundalk until I was 10, then moved with my mom to SC, and what a difference.

I don't get back to Baltimore much anymore, because woah, what an absolute s*hole. We were up Oct of 22 to visit my dad in the hospital, and other than the food (crabs and Squier's Pizza!), could not find one redeeming value about that town. Not one. He passed earlier this month, and I can say with almost certainly, I'll never be visiting that town again. It's just that horrible.

You are both correct. Yes baltimore is still a toilet and I avoid it like the plague. It is the worst city I have ever been to, right up there with Philadelphia. Carrols creek is right down the road, that’s more of a formal occasion for when folks come from out of town. Pretty elaborate place to go for a local, I can pick crabs at home for free. Since I have a boat I have a crab trap at the marina. Last year I collected over 100 crabs that were keeping size.

Lived here since about 2013 and the changes even since then are incredible. It gets more expensive to live here every year and gets more gentrified.

You are both correct. Yes baltimore is still a toilet and I avoid it like the plague. It is the worst city I have ever been to, right up there with Philadelphia. Carrols creek is right down the road, that’s more of a formal occasion for when folks come from out of town. Pretty elaborate place to go for a local, I can pick crabs at home for free. Since I have a boat I have a crab trap at the marina. Last year I collected over 100 crabs that were keeping size.

Lived here since about 2013 and the changes even since then are incredible. It gets more expensive to live here every year and gets more gentrified.
Yeah. I still have some friends and relatives down there around the Severna Park and Annapolis area.

Was there in late 90s and left because of the population explosion, and traffic plus it's nice to get back home.

Used to go with crabbing with friends. They had traps but much more fun to catch em.

Pasadena and Seven Park were nice areas back then.

Some of the upsides of Baltimore are the Inner harbor, National Aquarium, Little Italy and Fells Point. Other than that though.

Only place to get fresh blue crab.

Only thing I never understood was the semi-live soft crabs with leg sandwiches the locals ate?

Some of the upsides of Baltimore are the Inner harbor, National Aquarium, Little Italy and Fells Point. Other than that though.
When is the last time you've been? Because you *do not* want to be any of those places after dark, not even the Inner Harbor. It's just awful.

As far as soft shell crabs, you don't eat them alive! They're generally battered, fried, and served on a sandwich. At least, that's the only way I've ever eaten them. They're pretty good like that, to be honest.

When is the last time you've been? Because you *do not* want to be any of those places after dark, not even the Inner Harbor. It's just awful.

As far as soft shell crabs, you don't eat them alive! They're generally battered, fried, and served on a sandwich. At least, that's the only way I've ever eaten them. They're pretty good like that, to be honest.
Annapolis within past 2 years. Didn't have time to get to Baltimore.

Baltimore -probably been about 20 years now so yeah maybe things have changed.

Yes I've had fully cooked softshell before. But, there was this one restaurant only accessible by boat that we went too. The softshell crabs were boiled(no batter, no fry) but still partially alive ... that the legs were still moving.
The others were used to it.
Needless to say I didn't eat them.

Yeah I can’t imagine what the population was like here before. The development is wild since I have been here. I have stories of the way things used to be. Lots of opportunity and jobs here, plus the boating and seafood is good too. I’m browsing Craigslist for mazda rims. Here’s 17x7 rims and tires from a cx5. The tires are a little wider and a little taller. I don’t think they will fit though. I’ll keep looking.

Yeah I can’t imagine what the population was like here before. The development is wild since I have been here. I have stories of the way things used to be. Lots of opportunity and jobs here, plus the boating and seafood is good too. I’m browsing Craigslist for mazda rims. Here’s 17x7 rims and tires from a cx5. The tires are a little wider and a little taller. I don’t think they will fit though. I’ll keep looking.

EDIT: Even so, that's a good deal for the rims plus tpms sensors. The pcd and cb should be same. offset is 45 versus your 50 but rim width is 7 inch versus 6.5 inch plus 45 offset pushes it away from suspension so probably no rub. Double-check the Offset first using wheel-size.com. The CX-5 tires are way too big. Just pop the tires off and put yours on or get new 205 50r17 or 215 50r17.

Looks like the 45 offset will push your tires a mere 5 to 7 mm closer to the fender which should be ok and also will give you a slightly positive scrub radius of 5 to 7 mm more which could affect handling slightly and possibly make it slightly harder to control around corners. I tried to stay as close to stock as possible and stick to neutral scrub myself.
The further away you get from stock the worse it is... But keep in mind that 7 mm is only a slight difference. You really won't know how they feel til they're on the vehicle.

If possible get some mz5 or mz3 rims. But these CX-5 rims are a doable option.

Last edited:
Back