need help with my SSQ II

kingpinMS3

:
2008 blue mica speed3 grand touring
me and my friend installed it tonight and noticed 2 things

1. after we re-clocked it the skinny doohickey(i honestly don't know what it's called) is getting REALLY close to the top of the hood

but the primary issue

2. it sounds like the BOV is fluttering(running in recirc mode) is this normal, or is it causing turbo flutter?

edit:

additional information: also have cobb SRI and corksport test pipe

Last edited:
didn't d/l your movie, cause frankly, I don't have time to wait, but for the BOV on youtube, my understanding is thats what its supposed to sound like. I don't like it because it reminds me of compressor surge. Perhaps get the performance shop you bought it from on the phone and ask them, maybe even let them listen to it.

The HKS valves use a unique sequential venting system that makes a sound that's similar to compressor surge, but actually isn't.

ssqv-diagrams-1-3.gif

A great read here if you're interested. The HKS valve actually is pretty trick:

HKS said:
The HKS Super Sequential Blow-Off Valve (SSQV) is a dual stage pull-type relief valve. Unlike typical push type blow-off valves, the SSQV will not leak under any level of boost because the boost pressure in chamber "C" keeps the valve closed against its seat (Diagram 1). The SSQV releases excess boost when there is a pressure alteration in chambers "A & B", not by the rate of boost pressure or vacuum in the line. This ensures a quick valve response and complete closure during idle. Many competitors use a push-type blow-off valve design with a large valve to accommodate high boost / high horsepower applications. These large valves react slowly and require high pressure to open, and are not able to activate and prevent compressor surge at light-load conditions. On the other hand, smaller, fast reacting push-type valves do not discharge the airflow capacity required for high horsepower applications and tend to slowly open and leak as boost pressure overpowers the spring. For maximum performance, the HKS SSQV incorporates both a small primary valve for ultra quick activation, and a larger secondary valve for additional discharge capacity. The SSQV is engineered to initially open the small primary valve at light throttle and load conditions (Diagram 2), then sequentially opens the secondary valve for additional relief capacity under high boost and load conditions (Diagram 3).

http://www.hksusa.com/products/more.asp?id=792

So what you're hearing is likely normal, unless the unit is defective and isn't venting at all like speed3se-r's was (burnout)

better yet, at LOW boost it you'll hear a slight "flutter" with a hissing type noise, ie: >3500-4000 rpms, but that is from the small valves opening...but it is not compressor flutter. At high rpms, you should clearly and distinctly hear a whistle and no fluttering. When i had my bad unit on, no matter what the boost level was, it sounded the same, fluttering at 2K and at 6K....sounded the EXACT same.

^^^if VTA and with the insert in.

Last edited:
well i decided to err on the side of caution and reverted back to stock. the things that scare me are:

1. it's not changing sound going from VTA to recirc
2. it's not changing sound no matter how much boost i push through it. it's always TSSSH-ta-ta
3. it sounds(and looks) like it's shaking the whole engine.

i'm calling HKS tomorrow.

Put the valve on in vent. Have it pointed towards the windshield. Then run the car. you will see it vent with your eyes thus proving it works if your scared of it being broken.

wow, well i'm never buying an HKS unit again. they have someone sitting in customer support hanging up on anyone who calls.

That sucks about the customer service. It reminds of the customer service I had with Greddy. My advise. Go back to stock and buy a Forge BPV.

That sucks about the customer service. It reminds of the customer service I had with Greddy. My advise. Go back to stock and buy a Forge BPV.

i *tried* to buy a forge BPV. forge somehow lost my order.

Do me a favor hook up your valve and watch it. You can clearly see it working in VTA. Your going nuts getting mad about the sound because of you tube and HKS customer service but there is a great chance that there is nothing wrong.

Do me a favor hook up your valve and watch it. You can clearly see it working in VTA. Your going nuts getting mad about the sound because of you tube and HKS customer service but there is a great chance that there is nothing wrong.
i plan on it.

i'm just quitting smoking and i'm b****y :eek:

It does sound like you have a bad unit now. See if you can send the bov back to hks for them to look at, or get another one from whoever you bought it from.

well i decided to err on the side of caution and reverted back to stock. the things that scare me are:

1. it's not changing sound going from VTA to recirc
2. it's not changing sound no matter how much boost i push through it. it's always TSSSH-ta-ta
3. it sounds(and looks) like it's shaking the whole engine.

i'm calling HKS tomorrow.

It does sound like you have a bad unit now. See if you can send the bov back to hks for them to look at, or get another one from whoever you bought it from.

it'd be nice to talk to them, if they decide to answer their phone.

edit:

wow, i finally got a human being on the phone.

edit2:

double wow, what a bunch of worthless troglodytes. "hey i'm having problem a, with symptoms b, c, and d. can you help?"
"uhhh i dunno man"

Last edited:
Back