Low Engine Oil Warning Light on new CX-5

I still have a 2000 BMW 528i bought it new. The steering rack and rear differential mount got replacement under warranty, The infamous plastic water pump literally exploded with small metal balls from the bearing everywhere in the engine bay at 28K miles. No warranty on water pump failure since the car just 1 month past 5 years for warranty even though it had only 28K miles and BMW USA refused to compensate anything on it. Not long after I had to replace 2 belt tensioners as well as serpentine belt and AC stretch belt at 30K miles. Immediately after the AC fan resistor needed to be replaced. In recent years I’ve found many plastic and rubber parts on my BMW are disintegrated due to age which is not happening on my even older 1998 Honda CR-V.

Since I usually keep the car for as long as I can, this BMW is only for my back up car right now and drive it may be once for a couple of months. But I’m not going to get another BMW for sure.
Could you ask for a better time to dump a used vehicle? I don't think so. Sounds like it's relatively low mileage. You might get some decent coin. A year from now you could buy it back for $1000s less, lol.

Could you ask for a better time to dump a used vehicle? I don't think so. Sounds like it's relatively low mileage. You might get some decent coin. A year from now you could buy it back for $1000s less, lol.
Yeah it has only 60+K miles. But I think the market on a 21-year-old car is different, especially on a BMW. And I do need to use the BMW from time to time as a back-up vehicle. It’s much cheaper keeping it than getting a new car to replace a back-up vehicle.

Yeah it has only 60+K miles. But I think the market on a 21-year-old car is different, especially on a BMW. And I do need to use the BMW from time to time as a back-up vehicle. It’s much cheaper keeping it than getting a new car to replace a back-up vehicle.
I've got a 1997 manual Nissan Hardbody pickup with a ladder rack. It's the backup vehicle :)

Keep in mind that fully synthetic oil has the ability to cling to all surfaces and is really low viscosity so until the piston rings bed in (can be a long time before they do because the oil is so good - catch 22) then I wouldn’t worry. They usually settle down to next to nothing by about 10000 miles.

There is a TSB regarding the 2.5T engines about about this, however no fix yet, but seems Mazda is working on it.

Source:

https://www.mazda3revolution.com/threads/dtc-p250-error-code-low-engine-oil.243613/post-2522547

Wow. So this is a major issue. Oil is leaking into the combustion chamber and will require significant work to fix. It does confirm that the issue we are having is oil burning. This really sucks for me as I bought both a 2021 CX-9 and a 2021 CX-5 this year (both with the 2.5T). Argh.

Last edited:
So a few questions related to this issue for the engine experts out there:

1) With the problem not yet entirely clear, I assume it's too early to predict or know whether this issue will affect only a small percentage of 2021 turbo engines, a majority of 2021 turbo engines, or all of them?
2) If I have a 2021 Turbo engine and it doesn't exhibit any of these low oil issues say by 20,000-25,000 miles, does it mean the low oil issue is less likely to occur, or won't happen at all, in the future?
3) Even if a 2021 turbo engine never exhibits any symptoms of this low oil issue, is it more likely in the future that some type of major engine problem will occur with it?

1) With the problem not yet entirely clear, I assume it's too early to predict or know whether this issue will affect only a small percentage of 2021 turbo engines, a majority of 2021 turbo engines, or all of them?
2) If I have a 2021 Turbo engine and it doesn't exhibit any of these low oil issues say by 20,000-25,000 miles, does it mean the low oil issue is less likely to occur, or won't happen at all, in the future?
3) Even if a 2021 turbo engine never exhibits any symptoms of this low oil issue, is it more likely in the future that some type of major engine problem will occur with it?
IMO:

1) This oil consumption issue should only affect a small percentage of 2021 2.5T’s in all Mazda vehicles. Most likely some bad batch of engine parts such as piston rings got installed or improper engine assembly procedures such as piston rings got installed upside down (this happened to the Audi’s 2.8L V6 on my previous 2001.5 VW Passat).

2) If a 2021 2.5T doesn't exhibit any of these oil consumption issues by 20,000 ~ 25,000 miles, the engine should be fine on this.

3) If a 2021 turbo engine never exhibits any symptoms of oil consumption issue, it’s unknown that some type of major engine problem will occur with it in the future. Currently I’d worry about coolant leak issues which has been showing up on quite a few 2.5T’s on CX-9 after 40,000 ~ 60,000 miles.

[Poll] 2.5T Coolant Leak/Engine Replacement. What can be done to prevent?

Did you see the TSB referenced in post #24?

On my CX-9, I stared out above the top dot. If that top is 100% and the bottom hole is 0%, after 2800 miles, I am at ~75%.

My wife's 2021 GTR with ~3000 miles on the clock is at the 50% mark.

When I take the car in, will make sure to show the dealership the TSB. This might be a major issue.

On my CX-9, I stared out above the top dot. If that top is 100% and the bottom hole is 0%, after 2800 miles, I am at ~75%.

My wife's 2021 GTR with ~3000 miles on the clock is at the 50% mark.

When I take the car in, will make sure to show the dealership the TSB. This might be a major issue.
TSB No.: 01-012/21 CHECK ENGINE LIGHT ON WITH DTC P250F:00 DUE TO LOW ENGINE OIL LEVEL

posted above seems to haven’t posted on NHTSA website. Although the TSB says there’s no resolution for the problem, but it does say the symptom seems to start at 3,100 ~ 4,700 miles / 5,000 ~ 7,500 km, and the issue has been reported after the valve stem seal modification on the 2.5T.

What I was wondering is apparently the severity of this oil consumption issue is well within the allowed guideline which is using 1 quart of oil per 1,200 miles, does Mazda really need to come up a fix?

CEE6F608-0C91-4710-8B8D-4524B69B5D71.png

94D391BD-B102-4FB3-96D2-FA0FD17D4122.png

Last edited:
Sometimes valve stem seals can be replaced fairly easily. Sometimes a oil treatment can help and if the leaking is minor maybe cure it.

Same thing has happened to my CX-5 Carbon Edition at 4300 miles. This sucks. What is the best course of action at this point?

Same thing has happened to my CX-5 Carbon Edition at 4300 miles. This sucks. What is the best course of action at this point?
Not much you can do on this other than take your CX-5 to the Mazda dealer for the problem making a record、contact Mazda North American Operations complaining、file a complaint at NHTSA and BBB、and hope the best. The major concern on the 2.5T is coolant leak caused by cracked cylinder head / block which requires engine replacement. But if it ever happens, usually it’s after 35K ~ 60K miles.

Poll 2.5T Coolant Leak/Engine Replacement. What can be done to prevent?

Last edited:

Right now, just let the dealer know and check the oil at 3K. I am basically doing 3K oil changes at this point.

Last edited:
I guess it's good they have the warning light. The gas station attendants used to check the oil at every fill up, now people pump their own gas.

I don't know what the manual recommends. The light might come on before the oil is at the low level mark, so a quart might be too much. A pint should help but if it's almost time for an oil change I would just do that.

I don't know how unusual it is for a high performance turbocharged four cylinder to burn some oil. Hence the warning light. I have heard some say that a small amount of valve stem leakage can help lubricate the valve seats.

The problem the TSB describes sounds like one extra quart of oil between oil changes ( or a pint might suffice). Not much expense compared to the amount of gas.

Not much you can do on this other than take your CX-5 to the Mazda dealer for the problem making a record、contact Mazda North American Operations complaining、file a complaint at NHTSA and BBB、and hope the best. The major concern on the 2.5T is coolant leak caused by cracked cylinder head / block which requires engine replacement. But if it ever happens, usually it’s after 35K ~ 60K miles.

Poll 2.5T Coolant Leak/Engine Replacement. What can be done to prevent?
Dang that sounds scary. I love the car but i wonder if it's better to just sell it at this point when the market is still hot.

….I don't know what the manual recommends.…
Really? You don’t care enough about your CX to even RTM? Wow. Just wow.

For those who do care about their ride, the manual recommends checking the oil every time the vehicle is refueled. I guess that today’s owners can’t be bothered….

8C84B9CC-88CC-42F1-808A-E4AA333D92E1.jpeg

Really? You don’t care enough about your CX to even RTM? Wow. Just wow.

For those who do care about their ride, the manual recommends checking the oil every time the vehicle is refueled. I guess that today’s owners can’t be bothered….

View attachment 304916
That’s a bit mellow dramatic. I check my oil weekly until I get to know what to expect. Could be every month or more after that. Checking the items above at every fill up probably occurs by 0.001% of owners of any car. It’s a ridiculous disclaimer statement.

Back