Low Engine Oil Warning Light on new CX-5

I used to have a car that could use about a quart per tank😞.

Modern cars have gotten very good at controlling oil consumption but it still happens.

Oh wow. I had this oil light on a brand new 21 GTR at less than 4,000 miles and wonder why? Dealer told me to add some oil and wait for first oil change. After that this car takes almost two gallons of oil every 5k. Normal?

Oh wow. I had this oil light on a brand new 21 GTR at less than 4,000 miles and wonder why? Dealer told me to add some oil and wait for first oil change. After that this car takes almost two gallons of oil every 5k. Normal?

See the TSB. Mazda's with the 2.5T made at a certain time have oil burning issues. See the TSB mentioned in the thread that nobody ever seems to read. This impacts the CX-9, CX-5, Mazda 3 and CX-30.

There is no fix at the moment. If your vehicle falls within the VIN range, it most likely will continue to burn oil and no amount of additional oil or topping off will stop that.

625 miles per quart? That should qualify foe excessive consumption.
You are probably leaving trail of smoke and a big cloud on a warm start.
Be careful, you could get a notice from the EPA.

Excessive by a long shot.

625 miles per quart? That should qualify foe excessive consumption.
You are probably leaving trail of smoke and a big cloud on a warm start.
Be careful, you could get a notice from the EPA.

I agree with that. I had an old car that burned about as much as BushWickz and it literally left a cloud behind the car any time the car was running.

I mean, picture diesel coal rolling, but with a gas engine and blue smoke..... all the time.

I don’t see my vin on the list (M0341299) and yeah indeed every time (3 times since I got the vehicle to be precise) it takes almost two 5qt of Idemitsu. I’ll post the video of my last oil change later on. For some reason can’t so it on the phone.

…and no I don’t see black smoke that you mention but during the mornings I do see some white coming out whenever I start the vehicle but goes away after a minute or two.

I don’t see my vin on the list (M0341299) and yeah indeed every time (3 times since I got the vehicle to be precise) it takes almost two 5qt of Idemitsu. I’ll post the video of my last oil change later on. For some reason can’t so it on the phone.

…and no I don’t see black smoke that you mention but during the mornings I do see some white coming out whenever I start the vehicle but goes away after a minute or two.

If your VIN ends with those numbers xxxx341299, it is on the list (below xxxxx472325).

What is the average threshold for CAT damage with an engine burning oil? Time and consumption levels?

Two Gallons? Really. If that's true, you certainly have a strong case to take to Mazda for a resolution.
In the meantime, I suggest strongly that you document everything. Whenever you add a quart, take a mileage reading. Take notes, or even pics. Wouldn't hurt either to go to the dealer every time it needs a quart so that they can see for themselves what your usage is.
I had an old Chrysler minivan that used oil. I had to keep a log sheet of mileage, receipts and when I added oil. Turned out valve guides were bad and allowing oil to get by. Fixed under warranty, but not without a fight. Verifying proof is everything.
Remember, dealers are not your friends, and they will do everything possible to not help you out or take responsibility.

Excessive by a long shot.
I agree with that. I had an old car that burned about as much as BushWickz and it literally left a cloud behind the car any time the car was running.

I mean, picture diesel coal rolling, but with a gas engine and blue smoke..... all the time.
My previous 2001.5 VW Passat GLX with a 2.8L V6 was burning 1 quart of oil per 800 ~ 1,000 miles since new. And I’d never seen any blue smoke from the tail pipe. Didn’t know how long the 2 very expensive catalytic converters would last as I got rid of it at 60K miles since VWoA refused to fix the problem under warranty.

Yes, your VIN is on the list of the TSB No.: 01-012/21.

And what do you mean by “and yeah indeed every time (3 times since I got the vehicle to be precise) it takes almost two 5qt of Idemitsu”? Had you been pouring TOTAL of two 5-quart Idemitsu 5W-30 jugs of oil three times to top off the oil due to the Low Oil Level Warning Light? Was this before your first oil change (4,000 miles)? Have you changed the oil for the first time since you got your 2021 CX-5 GT-R?

Yes, your VIN is on the list of the TSB No.: 01-012/21.

And what do you mean by “and yeah indeed every time (3 times since I got the vehicle to be precise) it takes almost two 5qt of Idemitsu”? Had you been pouring TOTAL of two 5-quart Idemitsu 5W-30 jugs of oil three times to top off the oil due to the Low Oil Level Warning Light? Was this before your first oil change (4,000 miles)? Have you changed the oil for the first time since you got your 2021 CX-5 GT-R?

Ok.. this page on a phone really annoying to type.. lol

Before first oil change I had the low pressure oil light. Dealership told me to top off wich I did with Castrol. Then proceeded with the first oil change. I do admit my first oil change was a little late ( before 5k but back then I was in TN so my appointment got late which incurred in some mileage. Took a Jug of Idemitsu 5W-30 and the dude at service told me that wasn't enough to I took another jug. Since then this vehicle takes 1 jug and haf of the second every time I do oil an oil change.

Dude at service never mentioned any leaking, anything out of the ordinary (according to them) and everything was just normal. Here's a video of my (3rd) last recent oil change. (Idemitsu 5W-30)

Attachments

• 3RD Oil Change.mp4
    6.4 MB
Last edited:
I thought it was 5.1 quarts. That would be one jug. If you are putting in close to 7.5 quarts in, that is not good.

I just hung up with service. Nothing to do about it till mazda finds a solution. Meantime, top off your car and keep track of it. On that note, I was a CRV guy before coming to the Mazda family and I'm thinking about going back to it in a year and half for a trade in. I know every car has their issues, but this is kind of a turn off considering the price tag. Dammit too good to be true cause I really like the car and wanted to keep it for about 5yrs or so. This vehicle has the Bose system and after the Infotainment update the sound just sucks, phone calls made through carplay are worst. Spent about 3k on ceramic coat and 3m.. it's so disappointing.

Ok.. this page on a phone really annoying to type.. lol

Before first oil change I had the low pressure oil light. Dealership told me to top off wich I did with Castrol. Then proceeded with the first oil change. I do admit my first oil change was a little late ( before 5k but back then I was in TN so my appointment got late which incurred in some mileage. Took a Jug of Idemitsu 5W-30 and the dude at service told me that wasn't enough to I took another jug. Since then this vehicle takes 1 jug and haf of the second every time I do oil an oil change.

Dude at service never mentioned any leaking, anything out of the ordinary (according to them) and everything was just normal. Here's a video of my (3rd) last recent oil change. (Idemitsu 5W-30)

How many miles on your 2021 CX-5 GT-R right now? And how many times you’ve changed the oil so far?

Your first oil change at less than 5K miles is NOT late at all, as the recommended oil change interval, even for the first oil change, is still up to 7,500 miles or 12 months on your 2021 CX-5 GT-R.

If your Mazda dealer uses 1 and a half 5-quart Idemitsu 5W-30 jugs (~7.5 quarts?), they have overfilled your 2.5T a lot. The oil change quantity on the 2.5T is 5.1 quarts on specs; and 5.5 quarts in the real world. Quite a few DIYers and Mazda dealers use a jug (5 quarts) just for the convenience although the oil level won’t be at the Full mark of the dipstick.

Check your oil level more often hot or cold (I prefer checking the oil level in the morning before the engine start, no wipe, just pull the dipstick and see). Bring the TSB next time you visit the Mazda dealer and mention the oil consumption problem you have (show them the picture of Low Oil Level Warning Light or low oil level on dipstick). Make sure the service advisor put the wording of oil consumption compliant on the invoice so the the problem is registered in their computer system.

Check your oil level more often hot or cold (I prefer checking the oil level in the morning before the engine start, no wipe, just pull the dipstick and see). Bring the TSB next time you visit the Mazda dealer and mention the oil consumption problem you have (show them the picture of Low Oil Level Warning Light or low oil level on dipstick). Make sure the service advisor put the wording of oil consumption compliant on the invoice so the the problem is registered in their computer system.

They're aware of the high oil consumption issue. I asked about the TSB so he went in detail about it.

They're aware of the high oil consumption issue. I asked about the TSB so he went in detail about it.
All Mazda dealers should be aware of this oil consumption issue (so as the cracked cylinder head issue with coolant leak for 2020 MY and prior) on the 2.5T. To protect yourself, make sure their system has registered your concern of oil consumption, and be written on a invoice. Unless this problem has become a safety recall which is highly unlikely, your protection is only as good as the powertrain warranty, 5 years or 60K miles. Other than all the $$$ spent and hassles to top off the oil often, your CX-5 also has much higher risk to shorten the service life of very expensive catalytic converter.

I just hung up with service. Nothing to do about it till mazda finds a solution. Meantime, top off your car and keep track of it. On that note, I was a CRV guy before coming to the Mazda family and I'm thinking about going back to it in a year and half for a trade in. I know every car has their issues, but this is kind of a turn off considering the price tag. Dammit too good to be true cause I really like the car and wanted to keep it for about 5yrs or so. This vehicle has the Bose system and after the Infotainment update the sound just sucks, phone calls made through carplay are worst. Spent about 3k on ceramic coat and 3m.. it's so disappointing.

How many miles on your 2021 CX-5 GT-R right now? And how many times you’ve changed the oil so far?

If your Mazda dealer uses 1 and a half 5-quart Idemitsu 5W-30 jugs (~7.5 quarts?), they have overfilled your 2.5T a lot. The oil change quantity on the 2.5T is 5.1 quarts on specs; and 5.5 quarts in the real world. Quite a few DIYers and Mazda dealers use a jug (5 quarts) just for the convenience although the oil level won’t be at the Full mark of the dipstick.

17,500 miles so far and this was the 3rd oil change with Idemitsu 5W-30 full synthetic

Your first oil change at less than 5K miles is NOT late at all, as the recommended oil change interval, even for the first oil change, is still up to 7,500 miles or 12 months on your 2021 CX-5 GT-R.

My turbo was always perfect at the full mark using 5qt.

Back