Jack point for raising up right or left side with one jack?

tnburban

:
'12 Mazda6 iTouring & '14 CX-9 GT 2WD
So I got all ready today to rotate the tires on a 2014 CX-9 GT. Got my floor jack, Bosch cordless impact gun, dug the wheel lock bit out of the glovebox, and found some cardboard keep my old knees from feeling too old.

Got under the car and cannot for the life of me figure out how to raise the driver side with just one jack. Can do it on my Suburban, 6, and pretty much every other car I've owned but not this one. Rotating myself as these are the factory tires. Once I get replacements Discount Tire does free rotation and balancing, but until then would like to do myself.

Anyone know what I'm missing?

You are able to lift one side with just a single jack. How many tons is that jack? I always used 2 one in the front and one in the rear. Also if anyone on this forum knows what is the rotation for the all wheel drive. I know that on the ford awd you cross the back tires to the front and move the fronts straight back. I figured it would be the same since we have ford components on our awd's. I just want to make sure though.

There is a spot under the car in the same spot as every other car with a little arrow to show you where to put the jack. Nothing complicated or confusing about it. If you can jack up a mazda 6 you can jack up a CX-9. And FYI if you are a repeat customer with Discount they will rotate and balance tires on your other vehicles despite whether you bought them from discount or not. They rotated and balanced the oem dunlops on my dad's 6.

There is a spot under the car in the same spot as every other car with a little arrow to show you where to put the jack. Nothing complicated or confusing about it. If you can jack up a mazda 6 you can jack up a CX-9. And FYI if you are a repeat customer with Discount they will rotate and balance tires on your other vehicles despite whether you bought them from discount or not. They rotated and balanced the oem dunlops on my dad's 6.

I believe original poster's intent is to jack up WHOLE side at once using just one jack , I've never seen that done before.

The jack point arrows shown in the owner's manual for the cheapo OEM jack that came with the CX-9 is to jack up one wheel at a time not the whole side of the CX-9.

I think OP is trying to do this, picture shown is a small car so it can be done; but not sure if it's possible with the huge CX-9 :

Last edited:
I wouldn't suggest trying that with a 4400lb unibody CX-9, or really any unibody car/suv. You're putting way too much stress on a point near the middle of the vehicle that was never engineered to handle it.

I wouldn't suggest trying that with a 4400lb unibody CX-9, or really any unibody car/suv. You're putting way too much stress on a point near the middle of the vehicle that was never engineered to handle it.

Exactly. But if you lift at the jack point you can lift the entire side of the vehicle to rotate the tires. Although really you should do a cross-rotation with non-directional tires, not just front to back. Another reason just to take it to discount.

There is a spot under the radiator support that has a slight bulge to it that is the spot to lift the front end. For the back use the bracket that would house your rear diff of you had one. I have lifted mine from them points and it is very stable, also the jack stand points are the same like any other vehicle on the pinch welds.

Eh... I'd have no hangups about jacking directly under the B-pillar. It may not be strictly designed for it, but in a static situation, there'd be a very robust loadpath straight to other substantial structure.

Couldn't you just buy another jack and use the two jacks on the actual jack points? chock the wheels well and it seems like it would be stable enough.

Back