Another Protege5 thread

very good news to hear! i ended up fixing the transmission, i sheared a roll pin off of the shift shaft. block is halfway done, just waiting on rain to stop so i can paint. i removed the oil squirters and plugged them with bolts, took longer than anything else. i hope i cleaned the block out good enough afterwards.

when i talked to lentech they told me the torque converter stator was made out of plastic, and that would be the first point of failure. so whatever, it’s not a real part of the transmission anyways. i’m excited to hear that it should hold up okay.

Last edited:
it runs! turbo is puking oil. debating replacement or rebuild. everything is running perfect other than that though. planning on doing write up on everything within a week or two. i just would rather use my time working on the car than talking about the car.

it runs! turbo is puking oil. debating replacement or rebuild. everything is running perfect other than that though. planning on doing write up on everything within a week or two. i just would rather use my time working on the car than talking about the car.
The t25 isn’t that expensive to rebuild. An eBay kit will run around 60$. I’m happy it’s running well!

i got a cheap ebay turbo💪 1 year warranty, what could go wrong? it’s a gt2860 im installing it right now. it’s running way worse than before but im going to be figuring out most of the problems today

Attachments

• IMG_0971.jpeg
    IMG_0971.jpeg
    182 KB · Views: 21
i got a cheap ebay turbo💪 1 year warranty, what could go wrong? it’s a gt2860 im installing it right now. it’s running way worse than before but im going to be figuring out most of the problems today
Try tying your wastegate open while the ecu gets used to the new system and progressively close it to let it acclimate if possible. Also use drilled-out spark plug non-foulers to space out the second o2 sensor so it doesnt throw a code and make it less likely to flood the engine. This is probably the best documented turbo/auto build on this site. It’s all experimental and I wish you luck.

Last edited:
thanks! i’m gonna try to find a 4psi wastegate but for now it’s tied open. fixing an oil leak and going for a drive today. when all is said and done i’ll do a write up on everything ive done, there’s a lot that i haven’t talked about but nothing that should make a big difference to the build

i’ll definitely try that wastegate idea, i’m pretty stuck when it comes to tuning the damn thing but i’ll cross that bridge when it comes to it

i’ll definitely try that wastegate idea, i’m pretty stuck when it comes to tuning the damn thing but i’ll cross that bridge when it comes to it
From what I've heard it can tune itself to a point, but since nobody has managed to crack the ecu, a piggyback or a microsquirt may be necessary to modify values before they get to the ecu.

i’m thinking an o2 clamp and fmu should do the job, but i would like the idea of a ssafc or a similar product. i can’t seem to find the afc on their website anywhere however there is a different product that seems to do the same thing for around $250

thanks! i’m gonna try to find a 4psi wastegate but for now it’s tied open. fixing an oil leak and going for a drive today. when all is said and done i’ll do a write up on everything ive done, there’s a lot that i haven’t talked about but nothing that should make a big difference to the build
be careful. I dont think you're going to have the brake booster while the manifold is pressurized. i also think the sudden change in air pressure may have caused the MAP sensor and ecu to freak out since it's not getting a lot of vacuum. it's the little Mitsubishi sensor on the left strut tower with 2 vacuum lines. This is a reach, but maybe relocating them to before the turbo or running a check valve could trick the sensor. right now I bet it runs like it has a bad vacuum leak

Last edited:
i’m thinking an o2 clamp and fmu should do the job, but i would like the idea of a ssafc or a similar product. i can’t seem to find the afc on their website anywhere however there is a different product that seems to do the same thing for around $250
There is a guy on here that had a boosted 02 automatic, bazooka joe. Maybe start a conversation with him regarding a piggyback/afc

i talked to him a while ago, he went with the fmu and o2 clamp. and yep it’s running exactly like there’s a bad vac leak. with the wastegate tied open i’m seeing 1psi boost and no more, so im not seeing any positive manifold pressure issues yet. i’ll try running those before the turbo, but im not sure i have anywhere to put them, my mag is relocated to after the turbo so there’s just an air filter on the inlet. it seems to run okay the more i drive it, ive been driving a lot today. it’s been great so far

i talked to him a while ago, he went with the fmu and o2 clamp. and yep it’s running exactly like there’s a bad vac leak. with the wastegate tied open i’m seeing 1psi boost and no more, so im not seeing any positive manifold pressure issues yet. i’ll try running those before the turbo, but im not sure i have anywhere to put them, my mag is relocated to after the turbo so there’s just an air filter on the inlet. it seems to run okay the more i drive it, ive been driving a lot today. it’s been great so far
Awesome! Looks like the ecu is doing its thing

i’m going to grab a check valve and try that on the map sensor, i think the sensors only purpose is to detect egr “boost”, mazda calls it the egr boost sensor instead of a map sensor even though it’s the same thing

a unichip Q goes on ebay for around 100$

car is running great, it’s fast. need to figure out tuning. i’m thinking about an additional injector and an arduino controller for it. that way i don’t have to deal with the stock ecu at all other than the o2 sensor. i can also adjust timing in boost and some other things. it’s not plug and play but i think it’s the best bet for not having to work around my ecu.

car is running great, it’s fast. need to figure out tuning. i’m thinking about an additional injector and an arduino controller for it. that way i don’t have to deal with the stock ecu at all other than the o2 sensor. i can also adjust timing in boost and some other things. it’s not plug and play but i think it’s the best bet for not having to work around my ecu.
Keep in mind that The stock ecu already runs very rich

Back