Infotainment Screen cracking (spider cracks)

Just saw the first evidence of cracks on bottom left/right of my CX-9 Touring (2016.5 model, purchased new in early 2017, 55K miles). The car has never been in a cold climate, only tropical. Not spider cracks but clearly something going on in those corners. Dealer agreed to replace free of charge as soon as the part comes in, in a few days. Thanks to those who posted the service bulletin!
Also saw one or two posts saying their dealer was charging them a $100 "deductible" or "deposit". What's up with that? Is that basically a dealer charging a fee for something covered by the manufacturer?

I started experiencing this same issue in my 2019 CX-9 in April 2022. Of course it began 5 months after the basic warranty expired. Efforts to get some assistance have gone nowhere.

My local dealership and Mazda have both said they can't do anything because I am out of warranty and my vehicle is not included in the extended warranty coverage.

Mazda said if I repair it out-of-pocket I should get the dealer to submit a flash ticket and if enough customers do this then it will increase the chance more vehicles are added to the coverage and if that happened I could apply for reimbursement. My local dealer quoted ~$3000+tax to replace the screen!

The Mazda customer service rep also said that my reporting of the issue on the phone doesn't get registered with the technical department at all. For that I would need to pay for the dealer to do an inspection and then they would submit a ticket noting the issue.

So basically Mazda can ignore this defect unless owners pay for the repair out-of-pocket or pay for an inspection. This is absurd.

With the current demand for used vehicles I'm tempted to just sell it.
I'm having the exact same issue and received the same response. I'm making an appointment for the inspection, but I agree that it's bull that we have to pay for the inspection. $3k is not currently in the budget to make a repair that is clearly a factory defect.

Is that basically a dealer charging a fee for something covered by the manufacturer?
In my case they specifically used the word deductible. My impression at the time was that Mazda is essentially making an insurance claim themselves on this stuff and the $100 dollars is a pass through. However it could be as simple as covering a difference in labor compared to what corporate was planning to reimburse them. Maybe dealer just wanted a nuisance fee. I have no real data to back that up but for me it was a great deal considering what it would have cost me to fund the repair in full.

I'm having the exact same issue and received the same response. I'm making an appointment for the inspection, but I agree that it's bull that we have to pay for the inspection. $3k is not currently in the budget to make a repair that is clearly a factory defect.
I was able to come to an agreement with Mazda to fix my screen. Calling or emailing will not get you anywhere (but keep a record of who you speak with).

You need to follow the steps outlined in your owner's manual for getting customer assistance and file a claim with the BBB AUTO LINE (USA) or CAMVAP (Canada). Filing a claim (if valid) will get Mazda's attention because they will prefer to settle the issue with you rather than go to binding arbitration, which costs a lot of time and money. Good luck

I was able to come to an agreement with Mazda to fix my screen. Calling or emailing will not get you anywhere (but keep a record of who you speak with).

You need to follow the steps outlined in your owner's manual for getting customer assistance and file a claim with the BBB AUTO LINE (USA) or CAMVAP (Canada). Filing a claim (if valid) will get Mazda's attention because they will prefer to settle the issue with you rather than go to binding arbitration, which costs a lot of time and money. Good luck
Was this after you had already spoken with local dealer and got turned away or did you start here?

Was this after you had already spoken with local dealer and got turned away or did you start here?
After.

You need to go through all the steps that the owner’s manual outlines before filing a claim. Those consumer protection organizations expect you to give the manufacturer a reasonable opportunity to address your problem, which includes trying at the dealer level, regional level, and contacting Mazda customer service. As you can see in this thread, some people were successful talking to their dealer even though they were out of warranty.

If you have exhausted those avenues then you can file a claim with the BBB Auto Line or CAMVAP.

I got mine replaced free of charge, outside the guarantee on my Mazda cx9 2016, you should check with your dealer, Mazda made an extension to the warranty to have these fixed out of the original warranty up to six years gap. Saved me thousands of dollars
Same here. Just had mine replaced on my 2016 Saturday under Mazda's extension warranty for the screen.

Wasn't expecting this to blow up but happy to see it's helped folks. For those being charged deductibles, at the very least I'd request future firmware and / maps updates to be included as a goodwill gesture. I've also had good luck using prior service history with the dealer as a basis for courtesy considerations.

@sm1ke did you ever get your screen replaced?

Wasn't expecting this to blow up but happy to see it's helped folks. For those being charged deductibles, at the very least I'd request future firmware and / maps updates to be included as a goodwill gesture. I've also had good luck using prior service history with the dealer as a basis for courtesy considerations.

@sm1ke did you ever get your screen replaced?

I've been in constant communication with the service manager of one of my local dealerships regarding my screen. He's told me that they have been waiting for "service exchange kits" for this issue. My understanding is that these kits contain replacement components for owners experiencing this specific issue. I was told they should start receiving them in 4-6 weeks, but who really knows. He also mentioned that they're waiting on 5 or 6 of these kits to come in, which means that their dealership will be replacing the screens for at least 5 other people who have this issue.

My screen did get worse during the cold snap we had about a month ago. I now have 3 corners of the screen showing the spider cracking, but its really only visible when the screen is off. As such, I don't really care how long it takes for them to replace my screen, lol

Hi. In North America there is a recall for the screens with spiderweb cracks covering affected vehicles for 7 years. I have a 2017 CX-9 that has been replaced the screen twice under this recall so far

Hi. In North America there is a recall for the screens with spiderweb cracks covering affected vehicles for 7 years. I have a 2017 CX-9 that has been replaced the screen twice under this recall so far

Yes, but it seems that US and Canada do not share TSBs or special service programs. I don't think a recall was issued for this issue, but if it was, would you mind posting a picture of the letter you received? I did a recall search for my VIN and there are no open recalls for my vehicle.

I believe my screen will be replaced as part of a special service program.

Yes, but it seems that US and Canada do not share TSBs or special service programs. I don't think a recall was issued for this issue, but if it was, would you mind posting a picture of the letter you received? I did a recall search for my VIN and there are no open recalls for my vehicle.

No problem. I’m at the office in this moment. I’ll post the letter as soon as I get home …

Here is a PDF that I found for both dealers and owners. The Owner one looks just like the one I received in the mail. It does say US owners, doesn't say anything about Canada.

Has anyone run into a similar problem on their 2nd gen CX-9's screen micro-cracking? It seems like this is a known issue on other Mazda models and appears to be exacerbated by temperature swings. Unfortunately, I am just out of the warranty period, so I am wondering if it's even something that Mazda would cover

View attachment 224108
Has anyone run into a similar problem on their 2nd gen CX-9's screen micro-cracking? It seems like this is a known issue on other Mazda models and appears to be exacerbated by temperature swings. Unfortunately, I am just out of the warranty period, so I am wondering if it's even something that Mazda would cover

View attachment 224108
Happened to both of my cars, one is a signature cx9 2016 and they said its under extended display warranty, whatever that meant, god thing was that they replaced the entire screen, and the second was/ is my CX-3 2016, they are trying to get courtesy repair, but I have my doubts it will work

No problem. I’m at the office in this moment. I’ll post the letter as soon as I get home …

Hi, @sm1ke. You're correct. I mistaken the SSP as a recall. I revised the letter I got from Mazda and indeed is a SSPB9. I'm attaching the letter as promised. I redacted my personal information for privacy purposes but the rest of the letter is valid for the vehicles under this SSP. The document is in Spanish because I'm at Puerto Rico. Puerto Rico distributor reports to Mazda USA Operations so this SSPB9 is known by Mazda USA Operations.
In summary this particular SSP is covering CX-9 2016-2017 with manufactured dates between February 11, 2016 and April 29, 2017 and is extending warranty coverage for the Mazda Connect Screen for 7 years (84 months) from purchase date, unlimited millage.

Attachments

• Mazda SSPB9.pdf
    405 KB · Views: 95
Has anyone heard any reason why they are only giving "Warranty Extension" 2016 - 2017 models to fix the screens & not the 2018-2019 models? I asked my dealer, where I've been getting all service done, & basically told me I'm out of warranty & gave me a price to replace the screen. (which i can't remember, but i know it was over $1800 - 2K).

I've been in constant communication with the service manager of one of my local dealerships regarding my screen. He's told me that they have been waiting for "service exchange kits" for this issue. My understanding is that these kits contain replacement components for owners experiencing this specific issue. I was told they should start receiving them in 4-6 weeks, but who really knows. He also mentioned that they're waiting on 5 or 6 of these kits to come in, which means that their dealership will be replacing the screens for at least 5 other people who have this issue.

My screen did get worse during the cold snap we had about a month ago. I now have 3 corners of the screen showing the spider cracking, but its really only visible when the screen is off. As such, I don't really care how long it takes for them to replace my screen, lol

Has anyone heard any reason why they are only giving "Warranty Extension" 2016 - 2017 models to fix the screens & not the 2018-2019 models? I asked my dealer, where I've been getting all service done, & basically told me I'm out of warranty & gave me a price to replace the screen. (which i can't remember, but i know it was over $1800 - 2K).

@sm1ke and @PhillyMike I hope they get to this and make a PCA for it across the board, it's crappy how Mazda has dragged their feet on the 2018s when it's clear the issue is widespread.

I am not sure if it's been posted but I also came across this digitizer replacement tutorial that might be of benefit to some as a cheaper alternative (credit "Tylerwatt"). I know this Miata referenced has a smaller infotainment but I have to imagine the method may work for our CX-9s.

Disclaimer: I am not endorsing this method one way or another, as there are obvious risks with this process but it's a useful guide for anyone curious enough to try

@sm1ke and @PhillyMike I hope they get to this and make a PCA for it across the board, it's crappy how Mazda has dragged their feet on the 2018s when it's clear the issue is widespread.

I am not sure if it's been posted but I also came across this digitizer replacement tutorial that might be of benefit to some as a cheaper alternative (credit "Tylerwatt"). I know this Miata referenced has a smaller infotainment but I have to imagine the method may work for our CX-9s.

Disclaimer: I am not endorsing this method one way or another, as there are obvious risks with this process but it's a useful guide for anyone curious enough to try
I saw something similar on youtube by someone called Theboydslife but it was on a Mazda 3 (see linke at end of this post). only difference with this & the cx9 is that the cx9 screen is easier to remove than the Mazda 3, since you don't have to pull apart the dash (I did see a video on YT about replacing a CX-9 radio, which is also at the end of the post) Mazda 3 cracked screen replacement / How to remove a Mazda CX-9 Stereo (#3175)

Last edited:
Back