Infotainment Screen cracking (spider cracks)

I bit the bullet and found a supplier that sends the whole glass (touch panel) and frame unit. Cost just over $200USD plus deliver. Have installed it and replaced the old and it looks like new.

just googled how to remove the unit and all in all took about an hour to casually take it apart. Just needed a screw driver and a star key

I bit the bullet and found a supplier that sends the whole glass (touch panel) and frame unit. Cost just over $200USD plus deliver. Have installed it and replaced the old and it looks like new.

just googled how to remove the unit and all in all took about an hour to casually take it apart. Just needed a screw driver and a star key
Hi @caredes, would you happen to have any photos or video of it working in your car? Is the new unit compatible with the existing infotainment software, or does it use it's own? All touch functionality still works?

they supply simply the touch glass and outer casing at the front, not the actual screen which is inside and was unaffected. The issue is the glue and quality of the glass used by Mazda, not the actual infotainment unit.

all touch functionality was as per the original casing

they supply simply the touch glass and outer casing at the front, not the actual screen which is inside and was unaffected. The issue is the glue and quality of the glass used by Mazda, not the actual infotainment unit.

all touch functionality was as per the original casing

Ah, so you disassembled the original unit. By chance, do you have pictures of the old casing? I would like to see what it looks like from the inside, and understand why the cracks always start from the corners. I believe I read somewhere that it was because the screws were overtorqued during the manufacturing process.

Didn’t keep it sorry. No screws near the corners. I think it I simply where the expansion and contraction occurs most as it’s near the edge then causes the cracking (hence coming away and moving at the weakest point- the corners).

Is this the one you've ordered?

Attachments

• Screenshot_20230409_194208_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20230409_194208_Chrome.jpg
    73.1 KB · Views: 124
I wish I had seen this sooner. I just paid $1100 to replace my screen that had the spiderweb cracking. Mazda corp. kicked in $850 towards the repair, but it was almost $2k. I'm pretty irritated to see that we could have done it ourselves for $200.

I wish I had seen this sooner. I just paid $1100 to replace my screen that had the spiderweb cracking. Mazda corp. kicked in $850 towards the repair, but it was almost $2k. I'm pretty irritated to see that we could have done it ourselves for $200.
Replacement screen could be bought on ebay.

Good news to mazda cx-9 spider screen. Replacement screen could be bought on eBay for 300.

I've seen another member mention this, have you ordered one and installed it?

If my screen wasn't covered by my extended warranty, I would definitely look into this option, especially since the actual screen replacement seems very easy to do.

Mine had the same issue. I contacted Mazda and they offered me a "good will" $1000 for the fix. It costs $2000. It is a known issue and there is a service alert on 2016-2017 models #SSPB9 and a service alert on 2016-2018 models #SA-008/18

I am planning on trying to get enough people to register the complaint to possibly move the complaint up the ladder at Mazda. They know about the issue and are refusing to cover it.

Go back to them with the service alerts and they should refund you the money.

Mine had the same issue. I contacted Mazda and they offered me a "good will" $1000 for the fix. It costs $2000. It is a known issue and there is a service alert on 2016-2017 models #SSPB9 and a service alert on 2016-2018 models #SA-008/18

I am planning on trying to get enough people to register the complaint to possibly move the complaint up the ladder at Mazda. They know about the issue and are refusing to cover it.
BBB AUTOLINE just concluded my case as ineligible due to mileage...?

2019 cx-9 at 63000 miles now....

Look at the following service alerts:

Has anyone heard any reason why they are only giving "Warranty Extension" 2016 - 2017 models to fix the screens & not the 2018-2019 models? I asked my dealer, where I've been getting all service done, & basically told me I'm out of warranty & gave me a price to replace the screen. (which i can't remember, but i know it was over $1800 - 2K).
Here are all of the service programs I could find. One is for the 2018 models:

I asked my Dealer about the spider cracking on my 2018 CX9 Signature infotainment screen at my last service, and that's when i found out i was just a few weeks past my warranty. They said they would try to submit it to Mazda Canada for coverage under good will, to no avail. I reached out to Mazda Canada and got the following response:

"Thank you for contacting Mazda Canada. As you are aware of the SSPB9 details, you know that it was only released to cover vehicles built before April 29th, 2017. Unfortunately your vehicle was built after that date which is why it was not covered for repair. As more people report this issue there will be more possibility that this will be extended to include vehicles built after that date.
Should you choose to repair this out of pocket now and they should extend the coverage to include your vehicle, you can apply for a reimbursement at that time. Be sure to save all of your paperwork and receipts as you will need the for the reimbursement application. Sorry I could not bring you better news at this time."

My two take home messages from this experience are. 1. If you have any signs of spider cracking get it fixed immediately under warranty if you're still covered. 2. If you're no longer covered reach out to Mazda Canada and hopefully enough people complain to make them extend warranty coverage to the 2018 and newer models.
They extended the Service Repair to 2018 models:

Back