How to replace? Camshaft Position Sensor. Error code P0340 - '14 Mazda5 5

:
2014 Mazda5 GT - 6 MT - White
Hello all... I need some help to replace the camshaft sensor in my 2014 "5". Is it as simple as it looks, removing it, and installing a new one? Or is there any other adjustment needed?

This is what happened: The "check engine light" came on, ODB error code P0340, "Camshaft Position Sensor / Circuit Malfunction".

Since the camshaft position sensor is easily accessible in the Mazda5 (I believe it's the same for Mazda6, and Mazda3, it is at the top of the engine), I decided to unplugged it, and clean the electrical connectors (with spray). The check engine light went off momentarily, but the car is not running properly.

How do you replace the camshaft sensor? Is it as simple as disconnecting the electrical connector, removing the one bolt, removing the sensor, and installing a new one?

Or do I have to make other adjustments (like in the case of the crankshaft sensor)?

Thank you!!!

:)

Hello again* the car is fixed. This is my experience, for your reference.

CAR
It is a 2014 Mazda5 with only 61,000 kms (about 38,000 miles). It has low mileage. Not even 4.5 years old, so I am disappointed that the sensor failed. IMHO, these sensors should last for the life of the car. Or at least 10 or 12 years. Failing at less than 4.5 years ... well, let's just say that I am not happy.

SYMPTOMS
On a very cold morning in November, I tried to start up the car, and it wouldn't. The battery seemed to have cranking power, but the engine had a tough time starting. Eventually it started, but after 2 minutes or so, the "Check Engine Light" was on. Later on, the engine stalled. After a while, it started again, and I decided to drive it. I went around the block, there was a time of rough running, the car was hesitating, and it eventually stalled again. I was able to restart it and drive back home.

I went and I got a new battery. As I wrote above, I also cleaned the electrical connector of the sensor (with spray). The check engine light went off momentarily, but the problem with the stalling was still there.

ODB reader was showing me error code P0340 "Camshaft position Sensor A Circuit (Bank 1 or single sensor)". The old manual for the first generation Mazda 5 says "The PCM monitors input voltage from the CMP sensor when the engine is running. If the CMP sensor signal timing inferred from the CKP sensor signal has deviated, PCM determines that CMP circuit has malfunction."

THE SENSORS:
PCM: Powertrain Control Module aka ECU
CKP sensor: Inputs engine revolution signal to the PCM. This is the CRANKSHAFT POSITION SENSOR (CKP)
CMP sensor: Inputs cylinder identification signal to the PCM. This is the Camshaft Position Sensor (CMP)

TROUBLESHOOTING
If you don't see any broken or frayed cables, obvious corrosion in your connectors, or something unplugged, then most likely the problem is a defective Camshaft Position Sensor. However, it is not that simple. The car may have a defective Crankshaft Position Sensor (different one), and according to my research, it may trigger error P0340.

COST OF THE CamSHAFT SENSOR
I went to the dealership, the OEM sensor was $92 Canadian, plus taxes (price for reference, Nov. 2018). Absolutely outrageous. I was going to order it online, but Canada Post has the rotating strikes right now, and I cannot wait forever.

INSTALLATION
it as simple as I described above. FIRST, you should disconnect the battery (I never do that, but since the stupid sensor was so expensive, I did it as a precaution).

Remove the electrical connector. Then, removing the one bolt. Pull the sensor up. Install a new one by pushing it down gently, do the bolt, then connect it again. Reconnect the battery.

This video shows how to do it on a Mazda3. For the 5, it is almost identical location, and identical procedure, The shape of sensor in the 5 is a bit different, but the video is the best reference.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R8BAospMr90

Let me know if I typed any errors above.

I hope these details help you if you get this error code.

Last edited:
Thanks for the update.
4 years is a little low, but there is always possibility of a defect on parts.
Going by the reply rate to your thread, not very common.

Back