Future CX-5 owner concerned about transmission

2015 touring, when shift from R to D and then give gas immediatly the car will engage forward aggressively. Took it to dealership, they updated the PCM software. It is little better after that, but sometime in a rush situation it still engage aggressively(If you let you foot off brake and then wait for 1 second let engine do the shift then give gas, everything will be just fine). However, I am too lazy to brother my dealership, and I think for a automatic transmission it just doing fine. I don't worry about transmission right now, because I am still under warranty. By the time I am out warranty I will sell it and go back to sedan maybe? I feel SUV is less fun than a sedan(My old Mazda 6)when it comes fast speed and sedan are easy to wash.HAHA

Just got back from the dealer. First, they attempted to update the software. That did not work, so they are going to replace the transmission.

I now have a Mazda6 as a loaner for the next two weeks.

Mike

Just got back from the dealer. First, they attempted to update the software. That did not work, so they are going to replace the transmission.

Mike

cool

Mike

I went through the same thing as you. I started a thread on this a few months back. So far no issues with the replaced tranny.

I went through the same thing as you. I started a thread on this a few months back. So far no issues with the replaced tranny.

That is good to hear! According to the dealer, we should have the car back before the end of next week.

Picked up the car this morning. Runs like a charm now.

Lets hope this transmission lasts longer than 6600 miles!

Mike

My 2014 Touring with 18k miles, has vibration from 0 to 10 mph, you can feel it under your feet (pedals). Took it to the dealer 4 times already,even contacted Mazda; they said is normal ...

Andres

Picked up the car this morning. Runs like a charm now.

Lets hope this transmission lasts longer than 6600 miles!

Mike

My wifes '15 Touring transmissoin failed after 33k miles on the way back home from a road trip. Lucky it failed 7 miles away from a dealer in Utah. Took them a week to replace it with a new one.

Man.. you guys have me worried :)

I have a 2013 CX-5 with 45k on it now. No issues. I mean it is an automatic and does get confused like any other auto if you do something odd. I'm actually thinking of having it serviced (aka Fluid Changed) at 50k even though it is supposed to be "lifetime" (yeah right).

Sure hope I don't break it by touching it!

Clean fluid should help the longevity of the transmission. My plan is to a drain and fill at 50k and if it looks used, do another soon thereafter to refresh the fluid, since only about half is replaced with a drain and fill.

Man.. you guys have me worried :)

I have a 2013 CX-5 with 45k on it now. No issues. I mean it is an automatic and does get confused like any other auto if you do something odd. I'm actually thinking of having it serviced (aka Fluid Changed) at 50k even though it is supposed to be "lifetime" (yeah right).

Sure hope I don't break it by touching it!

If you haven't had issues by 45k then you're good. FYI, "lifetime" tranny fluid typically means the manufacturer's power train warranty period. In Mazda's case its what 60k miles? After 60k miles they are off the hook.

If you haven't had issues by 45k then you're good. FYI, "lifetime" tranny fluid typically means the manufacturer's power train warranty period. In Mazda's case its what 60k miles? After 60k miles they are off the hook.

Yeah that is what I basically figured. What is odd is that they don't have it listed in any of the Maintenance schedules.. even though they go up to 100k+.

So is a Drain a Fill easy? I've had some cars that are complicated like my current TDI (DSG tranny)

All new car manufacturers experience issues and with Mazda maybe a bad batch of trans parts might have caused this. Hard to say. Once again, the failures have been very, very low and the trans gives a warning before it fails. Usually delaying going into reverse or drive or a neutral rev and bang into gear. If that starts happening, you have time to get to the dealer and have the trans replaced.

Interesting, my wife's CX-5 does this from time to time. It did so yesterday, but not today. I originally thought this was an issue with the hill assist feature, but I noticed that it happens even on level ground. Sounds like I need to take it to the dealer for a checkup. We have a 2016 CX-5 with close to 13k miles.

Interesting, my wife's CX-5 does this from time to time. It did so yesterday, but not today. I originally thought this was an issue with the hill assist feature, but I noticed that it happens even on level ground. Sounds like I need to take it to the dealer for a checkup. We have a 2016 CX-5 with close to 13k miles.
You can go through the following posts related to 2016 CX-5 transmission issues and see if the symptom is similar to yours. Print some of the posts out and show them to your dealer.

Shift delay going from P to D on a 2016 GT
Transmission failure
For those having Transmission Issues with their CX-5
Poll: My CX-5 transmission failed and was replaced

What's the build date? You can find this on a sticker on the driver's door frame.

I had a 2015 CX5. The transmission had to be replaced at around 2,000 miles. I still had problems with the new transmission, but the dealerships in Denver couldn't figure it out, so at 6,000 miles, I traded it in for a 2016 CX5. I'm at 3,400 miles now, and the transmission has started hesitating when I put it in gear, and also when accelerating from a stop. I'm finished with Mazdas forever.

I had a 2015 CX5. The transmission had to be replaced at around 2,000 miles. I still had problems with the new transmission, but the dealerships in Denver couldn't figure it out, so at 6,000 miles, I traded it in for a 2016 CX5. I'm at 3,400 miles now, and the transmission has started hesitating when I put it in gear, and also when accelerating from a stop. I'm finished with Mazdas forever.

Wow! I've never read such reports. What was your 2015's issue?

Mazda CX5 has a very high reliability rating according to Cu which gets information from hundreds of owners. Drive sensibly and sleep well. Doom sayers are always around to muddle the water. Ed

Back