• Support M247: Allow Ads or Register (fewer ads)

Future CX-5 owner concerned about transmission

ijaen

:
2016 Touring CX-5 w/ 2.0 engine
I had a 2015 CX5. The transmission had to be replaced at around 2,000 miles. I still had problems with the new transmission, but the dealerships in Denver couldn't figure it out, so at 6,000 miles, I traded it in for a 2016 CX5. I'm at 3,400 miles now, and the transmission has started hesitating when I put it in gear, and also when accelerating from a stop. I'm finished with Mazdas forever.
Better sell your Mazda and get a Toyota (dunno)

KMBOD

:
'15 MAZDA CX-5 GT
Mine made a weird whistling noise, possibly due to a bearing going bad. I had no issues with the trans acting up. Acted completely normal.

The one I am buying was doing the same thing -- dealer is fixing it (replacing a 'bearing at the end of the transfercase") prepurchase. Hope this is an isolated issue!

madar

Contributor
:
2016.5 CX 5 Touring AWD, 2015 SCION XB
The one I am buying was doing the same thing -- dealer is fixing it (replacing a 'bearing at the end of the transfercase") prepurchase. Hope this is an isolated issue!

Mine is FWD, has no transfer case.

Rarebit

Contributor
:
Mazda CX-5 2015 GT AWD
Quick question and please don't be offended. When you change from forward to reverse and vice verca, do you come to a complete stand before shifting?

Yes. I can't imagine why anyone would invite transmission trouble by doing otherwise.

I realize this is an old post, and not sure if anyone will see it, but I thought I would share my experience for the sake of forum members. I have a 2016.5 CX-5 GT, just rolled past 60k miles. 2nd Owner, bought at 23k miles off lease. It is my wife's daily driver now. All of a sudden, transmission started acting very poorly. Particularly, it seemed isolated to 1st and 2nd gear. It would not downshift smoothly into 1st gear. When I rolled to a stop, the car seemed fine. As you release the brake, the computer senses you are about to go and would engage 1st gear. It would do so with a loud thunk and lurch forward abruptly. Once going it would seem ok, but I could hear abnormal click clack sounds. Once (on my way to the dealer to have it checked) it slipped out of 2nd gear for a second or 2, then SLAMMED me back into gear, loud bang, very disconcerting. I was devastated at this point, knowing that it was out of warranty at 63k miles. But the happy ending: Mazda is replacing the tranny under warranty. My personal gut feeling, based on what I have read here and elsewhere, is that there must have been a batch of bad components, and they probably know exactly which serial numbers are affected, so will honor the warranty if it fails.