Diesel CX5 has landed in the USA

Three pages and no ones driven one.

I like the low rpm nature of our one. Makes for a very quiet drive) No need to rev it as 90% of torque available off idle. Visits to gas station are infrequent with 35.6 mpg ( longer on trips)
Combo of reasonable torque and enough power means safe enough overtaking. Very linear acceleration so comfortable for passengers. The price premium for the engine has already been offset but fuel savings in less than two years ( petrol more expensive where I live )

Don*t knock it until you*ve tried one.
Yeah but you have to realize that US version CX-5 2.2L diesel is way different from yours in New Zealand. It has added US emission device which requires AdBlue urea DEF. And its MPG (28/27/30 combined/city/highway EPA fuel economy rating for AWD) is not much better than 2.5T. And diesel fuel usually is more expensive than gasoline in the US.

I agree with yrwei52.
I was looking forward to the diesel option.
No more, thanks to the availability of 2.5T.
Even if it is a no charge option on GT and Signature, I am not sure there will be many takers...
The 2.5T has similar output curves to the diesel one. MPG diff is only 3mpg with cheaper 87 octane in US.

Let us see if Mazda can sell more than 500 units per month with $4k premium.
I doubt it. This is about sales in US. Situation might be diff where you live.

Three pages and no ones driven one.

I like the low rpm nature of our one. Makes for a very quiet drive) No need to rev it as 90% of torque available off idle. Visits to gas station are infrequent with 35.6 mpg ( longer on trips)
Combo of reasonable torque and enough power means safe enough overtaking. Very linear acceleration so comfortable for passengers. The price premium for the engine has already been offset but fuel savings in less than two years ( petrol more expensive where I live )

Don*t knock it until you*ve tried one.

I get 28mpg on longer trips, and have more torque and way more horsepower, and gasoline is 50 cents cheaper than diesel per gallon where I live. Also, my vehicle cost 5k less than diesel and has 1 less turbo and no def system.

I get 28mpg on longer trips, and have more torque and way more horsepower, and gasoline is 50 cents cheaper than diesel per gallon where I live. Also, my vehicle cost 5k less than diesel and has 1 less turbo and no def system.

Exactly. Im willing to drive it and give it an honest review, however, I still wouldnt buy it even if it was the same price as the 2.5T models. No benefits, if anything, it is a downgrade.

...and if something breaks or if the diesel has driveability issues, good luck finding a Mazda tech with training and experience to repair this new diesel engine along with the myriad of emission's systems. Why Mazda wanted to use their precious resources to bring this model to market is incomprehensible.

...and if something breaks or if the diesel has driveability issues, good luck finding a Mazda tech with training and experience to repair this new diesel engine along with the myriad of emission's systems. Why Mazda wanted to use their precious resources to bring this model to market is incomprehensible.
Further, theres overheating problem without any warning started happening on Mazdas older SA-D diesels, especially in hot and humid countries. Mazda so far still cant provide the root cause, but can only replace the engine, sometimes under recall forced by local government. Mazda even opted to withdraw their popular CX-5 diesel from the market to prevent further loss for fixing this overheating problem under recall.

I think they were in too far before the BS broke, and they just threw good money after bad.

Trying to own my land/property outright in the next few years. Dave Ramsey FTW!

Good plan. Wife and I live debt free. Have 3 properties free and clear. I haven't paid interest on anything for years now. I did do the 0% interest on the CX-5 but pay cash for everything else. Last vehicle ('12 GX 460 in March 2017) purchased was cash. There is a lot of life comfort without debt and hope others here can achieve the same goal. Wife and I always try to live as if one income was lost and planning for an early retirement.

Good plan. Wife and I live debt free. Have 3 properties free and clear. I haven't paid interest on anything for years now. I did do the 0% interest on the CX-5 but pay cash for everything else. Last vehicle ('12 GX 460 in March 2017) purchased was cash. There is a lot of life comfort without debt and hope others here can achieve the same goal. Wife and I always try to live as if one income was lost and planning for an early retirement.
Debt-free is very nice. But honestly it's hard to do nowadays for youger generation. We can easily get a house for $100K back to old days, but now it's $500K in Texas, and at least $1M or $2M+ (with good school district) in Bay Area!

Debt-free is very nice. But honestly it's hard to do nowadays for youger generation. We can easily get a house for $100K back to old days, but now it's $500K in Texas, and at least $1M or $2M+ (with good school district) in Bay Area!

My house and land togather ran me about $250k.

My house and land togather ran me about $250k.
You're lucky you can do very well in Louisiana. But most good jobs for high-tech are in Bay Area. Young people with that skill most likely have to go to Silicon Valley to find a job even though the housing is so expensive there.

You're lucky you can do very well in Louisiana. But most good jobs for high-tech are in Bay Area. Young people with that skill most likely have to go to Silicon Valley to find a job even though the housing is so expensive there.

I live in Missouri. Also, point taken about jobs dictating location, which is part of why I chose the path I did.

I have often lamented that jobs in this country are so highly aggregated around a few geographies.
Availability of work is what kept me in the DC area my entire work life.

One would think that high rents and even higher salaries would naturally drive dispersal, aided by technology.
I'm still shocked that basic economics has not driven this change.

Further, there*s overheating problem without any warning started happening on Mazda*s older SA-D diesels, especially in hot and humid countries. Mazda so far still can*t provide the root cause, but can only replace the engine, sometimes under recall forced by local government. Mazda even opted to withdraw their popular CX-5 diesel from the market to prevent further loss for fixing this overheating problem under recall.
There*s none on this so irrelevant really.

So well done those that have no debt but as the moderators stopped me dead on lately, back on topic.

Mazda bring out a new CX5 with a forthcoming diesel and hooray, they are a brave cutting edge forward thinking company.

Mazda delay the introduction and they are terrible because they broke their promise.

Mazda keep their promise and launch the diesel to respond to criticism but now they*re bad again because it doesn*t benefit anybody who isn*t a high mileage driver.

Can*t win really can they? Despite it being no different than Other manufacturers that at least give the option, despite it being of interest to fleet users and despite it being much cleaner than the gasoline version (but that*s political and stands a chance of getting the thread locked by those that don*t want to hear it).

So well done those that have no debt but as the moderators stopped me dead on lately, back on topic.

Mazda bring out a new CX5 with a forthcoming diesel and hooray, they are a brave cutting edge forward thinking company.

Mazda delay the introduction and they are terrible because they broke their promise.

Mazda keep their promise and launch the diesel to respond to criticism but now they*re bad again because it doesn*t benefit anybody who isn*t a high mileage driver.

Can*t win really can they? Despite it being no different than Other manufacturers that at least give the option, despite it being of interest to fleet users and despite it being much cleaner than the gasoline version (but that*s political and stands a chance of getting the thread locked by those that don*t want to hear it).

Sure they could have won...bring it out when promised, hit the numbers they said they'd hit.

Imo it's the ridiculous pricing by positioning it as the most lux (usa at least) model. The chevy Cruze offers a diesel for a 2k premium over its base gas engine. Its a single turbo 1.6L that's not much far off from the 2.2tt in the cx5 power wise.. yet this circa 2011 engine that's new in the USA gains a premium of over $10000 usd vs the best equipped base engine CX5 ($31k usd grand touring).. in 3 years the same car went from ~32k usd to 42kUsd? With little to show for performance.. doesn't make much sense as a buyer when you compare a $10k difference in model pricing with some other OEMs

That's now how it went down. This things has been called a dud from the start. Why? Because it simply is, and will be.

Back