CX-70 delayed to next year

It's not really that surprising. Presenting 2 very similar new cars within 6 months wouldn't be such a smart marketing decision. Mazda was risking cannibalizing sales of CX90. Most likely the same engine choices and features but bigger trunk and still can fit 5 passengers when the 3 row bigger version can only fit max 6 passengers in higher trims but then you are sacrificing the cargo space in the process. Somehow I have got a feeling that this way Mazda might update/change certain features availability and seating capacity in CX90 for 2025 when at the same time introducing CX70.

This blows. I need a car this fall and I was waiting for cx70 to come later this year. Think will need to bite the bullet and order an cx90. Most likely will go for a 3yr lease so I can switch to cx70 after.

It's not really that surprising. Presenting 2 very similar new cars within 6 months wouldn't be such a smart marketing decision. Mazda was risking cannibalizing sales of CX90. Most likely the same engine choices and features but bigger trunk and still can fit 5 passengers when the 3 row bigger version can only fit max 6 passengers in higher trims but then you are sacrificing the cargo space in the process. Somehow I have got a feeling that this way Mazda might update/change certain features availability and seating capacity in CX90 for 2025 when at the same time introducing CX70.
You make some excellent points and as the video points out this extra time will allow Mazda to differentiate the models further by giving the 70 a unique posterior. If you recall a few moths ago that same videographer said that the 70 and 90 were going to share the same exterior size, which was very much counter to everything previously coming from Mazda which led us to believe there were more similarities between the 60 and 70 than the 90 and 70.

They are not similar...or should not be. The CX-70 should be a midsize 2-row and the CX-90 a full size 3-row. They would be for 2 wholly different buyers. And if you were going to massively stagger them then the CX-70 should have come first since it fills a long time hole in the lineup. The CX-90 is just a modern, upscale replacement for the existing CX-9.

Now, if Mazda is foolish enough to make 2 new full size models with the only real difference being one has 2 rows and one has 3 rows, then THAT is the mistake, especially adding 2 more to the CX-9 to have 3 full size models.

They are desperately trying to force me to buy a GV70, RDX, GLC, or X5.

You make some excellent points and as the video points out this extra time will allow Mazda to differentiate the models further by giving the 70 a unique posterior. If you recall a few moths ago that same videographer said that the 70 and 90 were going to share the same exterior size, which was very much counter to everything previously coming from Mazda which led us to believe there were more similarities between the 60 and 70 than the 90 and 70.
I am still not convinced that Mazda would make such a strange decision by having the 70 and 90 be the same size. I understand how they would have the same platform but the same exterior size makes ZERO sense...unless they are giving it a huge amount of foot room for rear passengers, or something.
Perhaps that was Mazda's original plan and why they are now delaying (they are making some substantial changes to the 70s dimensions). Who knows..none of us!

I am still not convinced that Mazda would make such a strange decision by having the 70 and 90 be the same size. I understand how they would have the same platform but the same exterior size makes ZERO sense
The CX-30 and CX-50 are on the same platform. And the CX-50 is 10 inches wider, 2 inches taller (mainly tires) and 13 inches longer than the CX-30.

It is apparent that Mazda does not understand the North American market from their stagnant 2% of the market share forever. Though they appear to be increasing it to 3% in 2023. The inline 6, rear wheel drive based all-wheel drive and the midsize form factor are the only real things that make the CX-70 interesting. This all reminds me of the kerfuffle over my ND MX-5. By the time common sense prevailed and they release it with the 2.0L motor in North America instead of the underpowered 1.5L everyone else got, there was not time to tweak the motor like they had the 1.5L and required the ND2 refresh.

Mazda builds great cars, but they just can't seem to get out of their own way. How great would it be to have a luxury sport sedan (competitor to the Genesis G70, Acura TLX, BMW 2/3 series, Lexis IS) by stuffing that inline 6 at 340hp into a redesigned Mazda 6 like they originally planned. OMG, I could be an all Mazda family with a MX-5, CX-70 (if they do a midsize) and a 6 sedan (had they followed through). As it is, I will likely have 2 BMWs with the MX-5 or some 3 brand combination. SMH

The CX-30 and CX-50 are on the same platform. And the CX-50 is 10 inches wider, 2 inches taller (mainly tires) and 13 inches longer than the CX-30.

It is apparent that Mazda does not understand the North American market from their stagnant 2% of the market share forever. Though they appear to be increasing it to 3% in 2023. The inline 6, rear wheel drive based all-wheel drive and the midsize form factor are the only real things that make the CX-70 interesting. This all reminds me of the kerfuffle over my ND MX-5. By the time common sense prevailed and they release it with the 2.0L motor in North America instead of the underpowered 1.5L everyone else got, there was not time to tweak the motor like they had the 1.5L and required the ND2 refresh.

Mazda builds great cars, but they just can't seem to get out of their own way. How great would it be to have a luxury sport sedan (competitor to the Genesis G70, Acura TLX, BMW 2/3 series, Lexis IS) by stuffing that inline 6 at 340hp into a redesigned Mazda 6 like they originally planned. OMG, I could be an all Mazda family with a MX-5, CX-70 (if they do a midsize) and a 6 sedan (had they followed through). As it is, I will likely have 2 BMWs with the MX-5 or some 3 brand combination. SMH
That's what I am thinking they will do the 70 and 90. Same platform, just scaled.

Funny you mention the 6...I was ready to buy one when the fabled new one was coming out with the I6 engine and RWD...but who knows if that will appear in our market. Having said that, I love my CX5 and the comfortableness of it but if a Mazda6 came out looking like that gorgeous concept car, I would probably buy one in the heartbeat. It was so so so pretty.
I can't see them investing in a new sedan for our market right now. Resources are better spent on the SUV craze, which I have also bought into.

That's what I am thinking they will do the 70 and 90. Same platform, just scaled.

Funny you mention the 6...I was ready to buy one when the fabled new one was coming out with the I6 engine and RWD...but who knows if that will appear in our market. Having said that, I love my CX5 and the comfortableness of it but if a Mazda6 came out looking like that gorgeous concept car, I would probably buy one in the heartbeat. It was so so so pretty.
I can't see them investing in a new sedan for our market right now. Resources are better spent on the SUV craze, which I have also bought into.
My daughter has a 2021 CX-5 and loves it. My wife, moving from a Honda Odyssey thinks the CX-5 is just a little small for her. I would have just bought the CX-50 if it didn't have a 4 cylinder motor and understeer inducing front wheel drive. She still might end up with the CX-50 though, but I will add a G70 or M340i for road trips if so. I have a 2250lb 2017 MX-5 and I'm not thrilled having a 4 cylnder in it! Always looking for 7th gear because you have to spin them so hard. Guess that is why I added a SuperCharger to bump the torque and horsepower 50%. But it would be so much better with an inline 6!

Can't say that I'm surprised by this news, especially after Mazda announced that the Hofu plant was at capacity and Hiroshima would need to be upfitted to build the CX-70 & CX-80.

That said, I'm moving on. I already wasn't keen on buying yet another first-year product (my 2014 & 2019 Mazda3s have been perfectly mechanically reliable but needed several software updates and small part replacements to resolve all the initial issues), so pushing the CX-70 well into next year, plus the CX-5 continuing to ship with the old interior--5 years after the new interior debuted with the 2019 Mazda3--means I'll be buying a non-Mazda for the first time in 15 years.

I'm sure Mazda will resolve these issues and the CX-60/90 launch bugs eventually, and with luck I'll be back in time for the mid-life refresh of the CX-70.

Disappointing news but I wonder if they are delaying so they can roll some of the cx60/90 improvements into it to make it a stronger product. Here’s hoping.

My dealer this morning confirmed April 2024 release for the CX-70. The more concerning comment when I asked if he had any details on size or weight was that the "CX-70 will be substantially the same product as the CX-90." This made it sound like they were going to just reconfigure the interior space. My reply was, "Well that is stupid." He just shrugged his shoulders. Sounds like the CX-70 would be off the table for me even if I waited. ☹️

I very seriously doubt they will be the same size. I think this is just some inaccurate information that everyone is running with.

I very seriously doubt they will be the same size. I think this is just some inaccurate information that everyone is running with.
It sure would be stupid, but nobody ever got rich predicting what Mazda would do, especially in the U.S. Market. The CX-3 lasted only 2016 (2017 appearance)-2021 because it was too small for the U.S. Market. If we are generous and say the CX-7 was mid-sized (an inch shorter than a CX-50) then, 2012 is the last time Mazda had a mid-sized SUV in their lineup. Mazda entered the U.S. Market in 1970 and has about a 2.5% market share. Hyundai entered the U.S. Market in 1986 and has about 10.5% market share. They make great vehicles, just not the right vehicles for the U.S. Market at the correct time. I would have thought they would have parlayed the success of the CX-5 much better than they have.

The CX-50 is a car in search of a market and yet, if it had the 3.3L inline 6, independent rear suspension and rear drive (needed with the inline 6 dimensions anyway), I would probably already own one.

It sure would be stupid, but nobody ever got rich predicting what Mazda would do, especially in the U.S. Market. The CX-3 lasted only 2016 (2017 appearance)-2021 because it was too small for the U.S. Market. If we are generous and say the CX-7 was mid-sized (an inch shorter than a CX-50) then, 2012 is the last time Mazda had a mid-sized SUV in their lineup. Mazda entered the U.S. Market in 1970 and has about a 2.5% market share. Hyundai entered the U.S. Market in 1986 and has about 10.5% market share. They make great vehicles, just not the right vehicles for the U.S. Market at the correct time. I would have thought they would have parlayed the success of the CX-5 much better than they have.

The CX-50 is a car in search of a market and yet, if it had the 3.3L inline 6, independent rear suspension and rear drive (needed with the inline 6 dimensions anyway), I would probably already own one.
Mazda Australia just released the CX-60 last week. Several reviews on YouTube about the car and it looks awesome, especially the Carbon Edition version. From what I have learned from the reviews there and in Europe, is the CX-70 will be slightly larger than the CX-60 which is designed for narrow roads that are common on both continents.

Mazda Australia just released the CX-60 last week. Several reviews on YouTube about the car and it looks awesome, especially the Carbon Edition version. From what I have learned from the reviews there and in Europe, is the CX-70 will be slightly larger than the CX-60 which is designed for narrow roads that are common on both continents.
Mazda SUV Length (U.S. Models Bold)
CX-5 - 180.1"
CX-50 - 185.8"

CX-60 - 186.6"
CX-90 - 201.6"

It would make sense that the CX-70 would split the difference between the CX-5/CX-50 and CX-90 even though the CX-50 is somewhat of an oddball being so close in size to the CX-5. I think around 191-194" would be about right. It is going to be wider than the CX-60 which is fine.

Someone on reddit posted this communication from Mazda USA to their dealers. Lots to glean from this. It looks like they want to increase CX-90 PHEV production and I could see that the available trims for the CX-70 will be dependent on what sells with the CX-90.

Mazda Dealer Partners,

I am writing to you today with an important announcement regarding an adjustment to our CX-70 launch timing and the strategy behind this change. Specifically, Mazda has decided to delay the launch of CX-70 five months to early spring of 2024 as a 25MY. This is a global adjustment being made to maximize the success of the all-new CX-90, our brand's flagship M-CUV vehicle and the foundation of our long-term success in the M-CUV segment. This shift has several noteworthy benefits, just a few of which are:

Maximum focus on elevating awareness of Mazda and the new CX-90 nameplate in this large and growing 3-row segment

Optimizes our go-to-market resources and strategies to drive CX-90 demand to your dealership

Allows for maximum production and flexibility of our supply chain resources on CX-90, including additional PHEV capacity to respond to the strong demand we are seeing across the US

Provides your sales personnel the time to refine and perfect their CX-90 value and benefits presentation to the wide range of customers the CX-90 appeals to, before we introduce another nameplate and new customer preferences

Enables CX-90 key launch learnings to benefit the launch of CX-70 in the spring

To be clear, no supplies are constrained nor is production being reduced for M-CUV, this simply puts all available resources towards CX-90. In addition, we will soon be adding the 2nd shift of CX-50 production which will further add to our immediate growth potential in complimentary segments.

Our CX-90 launch thus far has been encouraging with positive responses from both consumers and media alike. As noted, we are also seeing the enthusiasm behind our first PHEV, which combined with the all-new inline 6 powertrain, dramatically expands upon our brand appeal. With that expansion comes diversity of inventory, and this shift will allow us to respond more swiftly by adapting production mix to meet demand. From those learnings, we will further refine the plans for CX-70 to arrive in the spring.

As we have said all along, the CX-90 is our priority #1 this year, and this change makes it that much clearer. While this will mean a brief delay for those eagerly anticipating the CX-70's arrival, you may assure them production begins in December for an early spring arrival.

Someone on reddit posted this communication from Mazda USA to their dealers. Lots to glean from this. It looks like they want to increase CX-90 PHEV production and I could see that the available trims for the CX-70 will be dependent on what sells with the CX-90.
Thanks hoodlum you're always a wealth of information! Perhaps at that time we'll know more about the future of the CX-5 in North America. With the increased production of the CX-50 and the upcoming CX-70 some say the CX-5 will be discontinued, but who knows for sure what Mazda plans are?

Back