CX-70 delayed to next year

Yes, in my haste I pulled the 2.5 normally aspirated. And the one for the Turbo is better, but still shows the hump. Actually quite impressive that they make maximumView attachment 322185 torque so early in the RPM range. That is a feat for a 4 cylinder.
Thanks for the graph. It's interesting to see that the low output inline 3.3 for whatever reason is not actually that much different comparing to 2.5T. Very similar curves except more HP and slightly higher max torque. This is probably the reason where some people reported similar driving characteristics between CX-9 and basic CX-90 trims (with low output 3.3T). CX-90 is heavier than CX-9. Why Mazda does not leave only high output 3.3 in CX-90?

I think the weaker 3.3T will be a great fit for the lighter CX-70. For many reasons CX-90 does not impress me as a 3-row SUV - comparing to my current CX-9 and the competition but CX-70 might be a different story. Mazda, bring it in.

Thanks for the graph. It's interesting to see that the low output inline 3.3 for whatever reason is not actually that much different comparing to 2.5T. Very similar curves except more HP and slightly higher max torque. This is probably the reason where some people reported similar driving characteristics between CX-9 and basic CX-90 trims (with low output 3.3T). CX-90 is heavier than CX-9. Why Mazda does not leave only high output 3.3 in CX-90?

I think the weaker 3.3T will be a great fit for the lighter CX-70. For many reasons CX-90 does not impress me as a 3-row SUV - comparing to my current CX-9 and the competition but CX-70 might be a different story. Mazda, bring it in.
The difference betweent he 3.3T (340hp) and the 2.5T (256hp) is that the inline 6 holds it's torque almost at the maximum for 3000rpm from 2000-5000 before an appreciable drop off. It will have much better drivability. Especially given the HP/TQ advantage there will be a lot less downshifting required though with an 8speed vs a 6speed the downshifts should be a little smoother anyway.

Net, it looks like the 280 HP 3.3T (Lo) should be solid in a CX-70 as long as they can shave a couple hundred pounds off compared to the CX-90. I'm still hoping they can nudge that base engine a bit, a few more HP to go along with its decent torque, but really looking forward to seeing what it'll be like in a 70 :)

Thanks for the excellent charts and discussion about the engines!

Last edited:
Net, it looks like the 280 HP 3.3T (Lo) should be solid in a CX-70 as long as they can shave a couple hundred pounds off compared to the CX-90. I'm still hoping they can nudge that base engine a bit, a few more HP to go along with its decent torque, but really looking forward to seeing what it'll be like in a 70 :)

Thanks for the excellent charts and discussion about the engines!
At 3.3L they should be able to get significantly more HP. But think they are developing for torque instead. For example, the B58 3.0L Turbo in the 2023 X5 made 335HP, but in the M340i made 382HP. Notice the 2024 X5 has been bumped to 375HP.

At 3.3L they should be able to get significantly more HP. But think they are developing for torque instead. For example, the B58 3.0L Turbo in the 2023 X5 made 335HP, but in the M340i made 382HP. Notice the 2024 X5 has been bumped to 375HP.
I expect they also want to keep differentiation between the Lo and Hi versions of the engine, to justify the price delta. If they bump the Lo they might feel compelled to also bump the Hi, though as you noted there should be room to tune things.

It would be stellar if they match the BMW % bump for the year 2 (2025) I6, baseline that for the cx-70.

Ahhh, well, we should get a good idea of what will come out in a couple of months.

Probably you are wondering why am I posting a long term review of the CX50 on a CX70 thread.

At 11.03, Motorman (who is well known to be close to Dave Coleman and have him invited into a low of Mazda reviews), mention that the CX5 will probably be replaced by CX70 and we will see that next month.

There we go, it seems that January will be the month of the CX70 reveal.

Probably you are wondering why am I posting a long term review of the CX50 on a CX70 thread.

At 11.03, Motorman (who is well known to be close to Dave Coleman and have him invited into a low of Mazda reviews), mention that the CX5 will probably be replaced by CX70 and we will see that next month.

There we go, it seems that January will be the month of the CX70 reveal.
Wow. Hate to sound so negative but that man has no idea what he’s talking about for most of that review. He thinks the cx50 is on the same platform as a Corolla Cross.
Oof.

>mention that the CX5 will probably be replaced by CX70 and we will see that next month.

It is like saying that Corolla will be replaced by Camry...
Or, CR-V will be replaced by Pilot.
Funny.
We know Mazda better than they do, which review many vehicles/brands.

CX-5 is here to stay at least for one more generation.
Mazda's best seller ... don't mess with it.
Any executive should at least have that common sense.

Wow. Hate to sound so negative but that man has no idea what he’s talking about for most of that review. He thinks the cx50 is on the same platform as a Corolla Cross.
Oof.
Yup, he messed it up, if you read through the comments he acknowledge that and he actually pinned this mistake. However, in case you don't know, Motoman he's very respected and connected in the industry. So I wouldn't judge him on that.
>mention that the CX5 will probably be replaced by CX70 and we will see that next month.

It is like saying that Corolla will be replaced by Camry...
Or, CR-V will be replaced by Pilot.
Funny.
We know Mazda better than they do, which review many vehicles/brands.

CX-5 is here to stay at least for one more generation.
Mazda's best seller ... don't mess with it.
Any executive should at least have that common sense.
Cx5 would not be replaced and that information is irelevant. The relevant information was the cx70 will be shown next month, if indeed will turn out to be true.

The hilarious part is that the CX-50 is basically a CX-5 with a marginally bigger cargo compartment in length and flared out fenders. The hatch opening and cargo bay is smaller (narrower and less tall) as the CX-5, but the bay is a little longer. And the CX-5 still outsells the CX-50 2.5:1. I kinda prefer the 50 over the 5 except for the beam rear suspension.

The hilarious part is that the CX-50 is basically a CX-5 with a marginally bigger cargo compartment in length and flared out fenders. The hatch opening and cargo bay is smaller (narrower and less tall) as the CX-5, but the bay is a little longer. And the CX-5 still outsells the CX-50 2.5:1. I kinda prefer the 50 over the 5 except for the beam rear suspension.
huh? pretty much the only thing they share is the same engine

Model-for-model the 50 is more expensive than the 5 and is more problem-prone with less time in production from a newer factory. Also the 5 has had time to build up a loyal following where many of us have purchased more than one. How many owners have traded in a 50 on another?

I'm glad Mazda is taking the time to delay 70 introduction... let's hope they use it to address the criticisms leveled against the 60 and 90. If they really are serious about going up-market the 70 will most likely be the spearhead to get them there.

huh? pretty much the only thing they share is the same engine
The componentry is different, and the CX-50 is made at Mazda/Toyota Manufacturing in Alabama, but they are the same vehicle. Measure the inside. Other than a slighlty lower roofline. One would have to believe that the original intent was to replace the CX-5 with the CX-50 because to green light another almost identical vehicle makes almost no sense. But typical Mazda in the U.S. Market.

My daugher has a 2021 CX-5 and my wife thinks it is too small. When I compared them side by side to her with a tape measure she got all screwed up in the face because they are almost identical. The cargo bay is slightly longer in the CX-50 and the outer sheet metal is wider but narrower inside and the roofline is slightly lower. But you end up with a smaller passenger volume and slightly larger cargo volume with the CX-50 compared to the CX-5.

I bet the CX-50 costs a bit less to make and get to US dealers and also makes more per vehicle than the CX-5. If the upward trend for the CX-50 continues, I could see 50,000 CX-50's sold, which would be huge for Mazda's bottom line. If the CX-70 gets close to those numbers, it would be a huge win for Mazda.

One would have to believe that the original intent was to replace the CX-5 with the CX-50 because to green light another almost identical vehicle makes almost no sense. But typical Mazda in the U.S. Market.
It does seem that way. They really should have stretched the CX-50 a few more inches to match the growing size of the CRV, RAV4, Tucson, etc. Would have been much less redundancy in the lineup with the CX-5 being a half segment below the 50.

I bet the CX-50 costs a bit less to make and get to US dealers and also makes more per vehicle than the CX-5. If the upward trend for the CX-50 continues, I could see 50,000 CX-50's sold, which would be huge for Mazda's bottom line. If the CX-70 gets close to those numbers, it would be a huge win for Mazda.
The only 3 row that outsells the 2 row that I can find is the Acura MDX vs RDX. Every other manufactuer's 2 row midsize outsells their 3 row full size by about 2x or better. Mazda complicates the matter with 2 compacts, one that physically begins to intrude on the midsize space, but actually is still a compact, the CX-50. And I can't see them killing the CX-5 while it still significantly outsells the CX-50. The day I was in the dealership, a couple bought the CX-5 over the CX-50.

Sales of the CX-70 will be determined by what it is. If it is a midsize (188"-195") upper end vehicle priced under the CX-90 it should sell well, though it will take sales from both the CX-50 and CX-90. If it is a 2 row CX-90, I doubt it sells very well compared to the CX-90.

Just to drive the point home that the CX-5 and CX-50 are essentially the same vehicle, here is the data. The length and wheelbase increase is real, but the width is fake. It is all external sheet metal differences. And the lower roofline of the CX-50 cuts the total passenger volume and hatch opening height below the CX-5 and reduces what would be a significantly larger cargo volume to a small increase generated by the few extra inches of length. They are basically targeted to the same buyer. Your decision is basically based on the exterior look of the vehicle and if you choose the CX-50, you get the penalty of less headroom and the beam suspension in the rear for a little more cargo space.

CX5vsCX50.JPG

Last edited:
Back