CX-5 Sales continue to set records

Then you'll always be talking to me as "someone who read on a forum..." instead of as someone like me, who knows from first hand experience :p
Yeah, someone who read 1,000s of posts and helped 100s, if not 1,000s of people diagnose problems with thier cars should be given a little credit that I know what I'm talking about. Versus 1 guys experience who kept a car a long time.
Yes, if you keep a car for 250k you may need to replace a turbo. Good time to upgrade to a Garrett.
Today's modern turbos should last even longer, has tech not improved? A modern turbo is no reason to avoid a car for most drivers. /fin

Yeah, someone who read 1,000s of posts and helped 100s, if not 1,000s of people diagnose problems with thier cars should be given a little credit that I know what I'm talking about. Versus 1 guys experience who kept a car a long time.
Yes, if you keep a car for 250k you may need to replace a turbo. Good time to upgrade to a Garrett.
Today's modern turbos should last even longer, has tech not improved? A modern turbo is no reason to avoid a car for most drivers. /fin

Nothing is. For you. You have no skin in the game. Warranty will take care of any issue you might have, so why should you care? That's kind of my point. Reliability can be a secondary consideration for you, viewed as an inconvenience instead of an expense you didn't plan for or want to have to plan for.

This is the first car I've owned with a warranty. And I'll be long out of it when I trade her in. I would still buy a Turbo and run it to 90k.

This is the first car I've owned with a warranty. And I'll be long out of it when I trade her in. I would still buy a Turbo and run it to 90k.

Because 90k isn't anything really. It's still under the powertrain warranty of many companies. Some of us want a car that will be trouble free for 5 or maybe even 8 to 10 years, and we may put 20 to 30k miles a year on it for work, etc

My grandparents for example average about 300k miles on their vehicles before trade in. They buy Toyota, and don't have issues.

I can't imagine having a car that long.
It would take me 25 years. LOL

Because 90k isn't anything really. It's still under the powertrain warranty of many companies. Some of us want a car that will be trouble free for 5 or maybe even 8 to 10 years, and we may put 20 to 30k miles a year on it for work, etc

My grandparents for example average about 300k miles on their vehicles before trade in. They buy Toyota, and don't have issues.

April 20th will mark 5 years with my CX-5. About 61k miles on it now. Problem free! Sure maintenance items, but otherwise drives like it did new.

Can't speak for turbos, never had one. But I got close to 300,000 miles on my previous car which was a '98 Jeep Grand Cherokee. Not without costly repairs, but it did technically go that long.

Edit: I used to also drive 100 miles roundtrip to work and back everyday until I moved closer (a few months after I bought the CX-5). Now I don't so much put on the miles, especially 2014-2015 I worked from home a lot, sometimes weeks at a time. 2017 on the other hand...pretty sure I was 35ish-k miles last January. I could never do a lease, LOL!

Last edited:
April 20th will mark 5 years with my CX-5. About 61k miles on it now. Problem free! Sure maintenance items, but otherwise drives like it did new.

Can't speak for turbos, never had one. But I got close to 300,000 miles on my previous car which was a '98 Jeep Grand Cherokee. Not without costly repairs, but it did technically go that long.

Edit: I used to also drive 100 miles roundtrip to work and back everyday until I moved closer (a few months after I bought the CX-5). Now I don't so much put on the miles, especially 2014-2015 I worked from home a lot, sometimes weeks at a time. 2017 on the other hand...pretty sure I was 35ish-k miles last January. I could never do a lease, LOL!

Yep. I live 26 miles from the closest facility i work in. I prefer it that way.

CX-5 topped January 2018 sales figures again among its competition in Australia. ("Normal Standing")

1. CX-5
2. RAV4
3. X-Trail (Rogue)
4. CRV
5. Tucson

CX-5 fifth place among ALL category vehicle sales for January 2018.

CX-5 topped January 2018 sales figures again among its competition in Australia. ("Normal Standing")

1. CX-5
2. RAV4
3. X-Trail (Rogue)
4. CRV
5. Tucson

Good show.

According to autotrader there were multiple 170k ish mile cx5s for sale. That made me happy. I'm expecting 250k miles outnof mine. If it delivers, I may well buy another cx5. If it doesnt, I will move on from the brand. Just business. So far, it's doing well. 75k and change.

1. CX-5
2. RAV4
3. X-Trail (Rogue)
4. CRV
5. Tucson

Well done CX-5 (thumb)

I drive 40 miles each way to work, so miles add up quickly for me too. I too, avoid turbos for that reason. Even with advancements in metallurgy and lubrication, you still have rotating parts at 100,000 RPM resulting in higher temperatures and increased system complexity. A few years ago, forum members were applauding Mazda for avoiding turbocharging "unlike those idiots at Ford with Ecoboost".

I'll stick with simplicity.

I drive 40 miles each way to work, so miles add up quickly for me too. I too, avoid turbos for that reason. Even with advancements in metallurgy and lubrication, you still have rotating parts at 100,000 RPM resulting in higher temperatures and increased system complexity. A few years ago, forum members were applauding Mazda for avoiding turbocharging "unlike those idiots at Ford with Ecoboost".

This forum is amusing like that. Everyone is all about how refined and quite the 2017 is, when 2 years prior they shouted me down for saying the cx5 needs a few dozen pounds of deadening. "It will ruin it's balance" "Mazda makes cars for a small segment of hardcore drivers" etc, lol!

Even if the turbo and engine have the same theoretical life span...it's double the odds something major dies vs. not having it.

You do get less complexity with a NA engine, and a lot less power and torque as well.

Yep, and I believe significant part of CX-5 owners are been drawn by naturally-aspirated engine and non-CVT、6-speed automatic transmission for longevity due to their simplicity!

5 years and only 61K miles! Do you drive it or just look at it? ;)

I got my 2014 in December of 2013 and am about to hit 100K. Except for tires, air filters, brake pads, three new engines and 2 transmissions, I have had no major issues.

And yes, some of the above is not real.

Last edited:

I've driven turbocharged cars almost exclusively since 2003 (2003 and 2013 Subaru WRX, 2013 X5 Diesel, 2017 VW GTI) with one exception being a supercharged 2016 Audi SQ5. I have had zero turbo related issues with any of them but I am very anal about oil changes and proper maintenance. Our 2017 CX5 is our first normally aspirated vehicle in quite some time!

5 years and only 61K miles! Do you drive it or juts look at it? ;)

I got my 2014 in December of 2013 and am about to hit 100K. Except for tires, air filters, brake pads, three new engines and 2 transmissions, I have had no major issues.

And yes, some of the above is not real.

Well, I did not drive it as much May 2014 - Sep 2015. I worked all Nov 2014 from home, and spent the next several months working god awful 50-100 hr work weeks which meant WFH days or weeks at a time. And since I was often working nights and weekends as well, I wasn't driving it really at all. 2016 I was taking the train downtown because it was cheaper than a parking pass, then I spent 5 months unemployed and staying home or driving to interviews.

Fast forward to 2017. I put on 30k miles this past year alone. I'm sure that will continue this year, so may catch up to you. ;)

All I've done so far:

New tires at 18.5k miles (Sep 2014)
Rear ended (May 2015) - new rear liftgate, bumper, trim. (Sep 2015) [no monetary cost to me, my back at the time on the other hand...]
Oil changes every 5-7.5k miles.
New air filters
Rear brake pads at 53ish-k miles (Summer 2017)

Will probably get some new tires this summer or fall.

Last edited:
4 years and 2 months and I'm at 38k. Lately, I'm putting more miles on it, since I have purchased a house and I'm 22 miles away now, before, I was 7 miles away from work.

Back