CX-5 Sales continue to set records

I've driven turbocharged cars almost exclusively since 2003 (2003 and 2013 Subaru WRX, 2013 X5 Diesel, 2017 VW GTI) with one exception being a supercharged 2016 Audi SQ5. I have had zero turbo related issues with any of them but I am very anal about oil changes and proper maintenance. Our 2017 CX5 is our first normally aspirated vehicle in quite some time!

How many miles did you put on them?

Lol. Here we go. Most people don't drive a car from new until the wheels come off.

Right, but some people put 200K miles or so on them, which SHOULDN'T be when the wheels fall off. Plenty of my friends have 400K+ mile vehicles running as good as new.

Right, but some people put 200K miles or so on them, which SHOULDN'T be when the wheels fall off. Plenty of my friends have 400K+ mile vehicles running as good as new.

You should definitely be able to get 150k miles out of a new vehicle, if it doesn't last at least that long without major repairs I wouldn't consider it a reliable car. Had a Toyota Echo with 300k (km mind you) on the clock and only sold it because the floor and strut mounts were rusting out from our winters. Unfortunately that's an unavoidable evil where I live, but the car was still going plenty strong, not an issue to be found other than the rust and some minor maintenance; even the inspection when I had it done to sell it only reported the rust/holes, a ball joint, and a serpentine belt.

I drive 40 miles each way to work, so miles add up quickly for me too. I too, avoid turbos for that reason. Even with advancements in metallurgy and lubrication, you still have rotating parts at 100,000 RPM resulting in higher temperatures and increased system complexity. A few years ago, forum members were applauding Mazda for avoiding turbocharging "unlike those idiots at Ford with Ecoboost".

I'll stick with simplicity.
How do you explain eco boost turbo’s hitting 150,000+ miles without any engine problems? Mazda has it in the CX9 and just added one to the 6! it’s only a matter of time before they cut production cost to one turbo motor and put it in the CX5. Also cylinder deactivation is not the answer for better fuel economy in a 4 cylinder engine, and definitely not simplistic! Until EV’s take over the world turbo’s are here to stay.

How do you explain eco boost turbo’s hitting 150,000+ miles without any engine problems? Mazda has it in the CX9 and just added one to the 6! it’s only a matter of time before they cut production cost to one turbo motor and put it in the CX5. Also cylinder deactivation is not the answer for better fuel economy in a 4 cylinder engine, and definitely not simplistic! Until EV’s take over the world turbo’s are here to stay.

Eco Boost has a TON of issues.

FWIW, I just put 150k miles on a Ford 2.0 EcoBoost with no issues at all. I've been around various Ford forums, mainly Focus ST and Fusion, and haven't seen many failures of the smaller EcoBoost engines (1.5, 1.6, 2.0). I have heard of problems with the 3.5L V6 EcoBoost truck engines though.

The main complaint most people have with Ford EcoBoost engines is fuel economy. I got pretty awful mileage with the 2.0T.

FWIW, I just put 150k miles on a Ford 2.0 EcoBoost with no issues at all. I've been around various Ford forums, mainly Focus ST and Fusion, and haven't seen many failures of the smaller EcoBoost engines (1.5, 1.6, 2.0). I have heard of problems with the 3.5L V6 EcoBoost truck engines though.

The main complaint most people have with Ford EcoBoost engines is fuel economy. I got pretty awful mileage with the 2.0T.

I mainly refer to the 3.5. What kind of mileage did you get/in what vehicle?

Just to be clear, Mazda does not have the Eco Boost turbo system. The CX9 is a different turbo with a different end purpose. (Torque vs HP.)

The Ford EB is a hit and miss engine.

I mainly refer to the 3.5. What kind of mileage did you get/in what vehicle?

Ford Focus ST. I averaged around 24 in daily commuting, which is about 75% highway/25% suburban, often in heavy traffic. On long highway trips I would see around 26-27, generally driving at 80 mph unless slowed by traffic.

For comparison, the Mazda3 2.3L gave me 29-30 on the same commute and 32-33 on highway trips. But the Outback XT (also a turbo) was averaging about 22 on my commute and 24 on long trips. My wife now drives a big Chrysler Pacifica with 3.6L V6 and when I've used it to go to work I've gotten 25-26, and when loaded up on long trips we've gotten 27-28. I could go on with comparisons, but the general observation I've had is that turbos tend to fall well short of their EPA ratings. The EcoBoost engines are somewhat notorious for that.

Yeah, but everyone here says Mazda doesn't care about power, it's about the chassis, so...

I'd actually imagine most people would say it's about the whole package and driving engagement.

Ride/handling, responsiveness, linear power delivery, shifting etc adding up to an engaging drive all while still getting pretty decent mileage rather than chasing peak numbers that are only really meaningful in glossy brochures and internet arguments.

I'd actually imagine most people would say it's about the whole package and driving engagement.

Ride/handling, responsiveness, linear power delivery, shifting etc adding up to an engaging drive all while still getting pretty decent mileage rather than chasing peak numbers that are only really meaningful in glossy brochures and internet arguments.

+1

UB - families with 2 kids or in-laws, etc. regularly purchase cars with 3rd. row seating. There's a HUGE market for the same. CX-9 I have ridden and find it price wise comparable to any other SUV offering 3rd. row seating. Next, interiors are superb and overall handling/dynamics are better than ANY JP/EU and MOST US brand SUV offering 3rd. row seating. Let's not compare CX9 with LUXURY brands though.
Now, at the same time I do understand such families opt for vans like Sienna/Odyssey as it offers more trunk space than SUVs having 3rd. row seating. I am not comparing those vans with CX-9. In it's segment its a really solid offering at a very competitive price point.
The only reason I can think of - as to why sales are low is lack of marketing, lack of user knowledge and finally lack of Mazda offering a van like car with 3rd. row seating.

Ride/handling, responsiveness, linear power delivery, shifting etc adding up to an engaging drive all while still getting pretty decent mileage

Unfortunately, imagining that most people would say it's about the whole package/driving experience, is just wishful thinking.
Folks like us who belong to one or more car forums, and actually care about stuff like driving dynamics, are in the minority.
There's a reason why so many people buy appliances for cars, 95% of whom do little to no research, or comparison shopping.
They are too lazy, or just don't give a crap.
I know so many people that bought their cars for the wrong reason. It's frustrating to see it.
I mean, how do you explain people buying cars like a Chrysler 200, or a Jeep Compass, or the like?
One example is a friend of mine who is as tight with his money as anyone I know.
His only criteria when buying a car is gas mileage...period.
Doesn't matter how it drives, what it looks like, what features it has or even what make it is. If it gets 100mpg, he'll buy it.
I told him last fall I was buying a Mazda 6, and the first thing he asked me was how was the gas mileage.
I could not get him engaged in a conversation about the looks, dynamics or features of the car. Not interested.
Like I said, you and I, and others on forums like this, are a very small minority of car buyers.

UB - families with 2 kids or in-laws, etc. regularly purchase cars with 3rd. row seating. There's a HUGE market for the same. CX-9 I have ridden and find it price wise comparable to any other SUV offering 3rd. row seating. Next, interiors are superb and overall handling/dynamics are better than ANY JP/EU and MOST US brand SUV offering 3rd. row seating. Let's not compare CX9 with LUXURY brands though.
Now, at the same time I do understand such families opt for vans like Sienna/Odyssey as it offers more trunk space than SUVs having 3rd. row seating. I am not comparing those vans with CX-9. In it's segment its a really solid offering at a very competitive price point.
The only reason I can think of - as to why sales are low is lack of marketing, lack of user knowledge and finally lack of Mazda offering a van like car with 3rd. row seating.

When you get into 2+ kids, you're a minivan owner. Why?

market segment saturation. It's what they "know".

Further...sliding doors. Tons of room. Etc. NOTHING can compete with sliding doors for packing a bunch of urchins in a speeding metal tube on wheels expediently.

Over here mini van owner's are not what they used to be. They've moved to SUVs be it medium size such as CX-5 or equivalent or large size such as CX-9 or equivalent.

Over here mini van owner's are not what they used to be. They've moved to SUVs be it medium size such as CX-5 or equivalent or large size such as CX-9 or equivalent.

Their pride had suffered enough, I guess, but over here, the dollar is king, and they take the more economical and practical path of the minivan.

Their pride had suffered enough, I guess, but over here, the dollar is king, and they take the more economical and practical path of the minivan.
We don't have that many left. Kia Carnival, Honda Odyssey, VW Caravelle, Toyota Tarago and Hyundai i-MAX are the main ones. None of them are major sellers. The CX-5 on the other hand is perennial top 10

Last edited:
Back