CX-5 Sales continue to set records

What surprises me in CX9. Frankly, I consider CX9 to be a GREAT car. I am not able to figure out why its sales ain't that good.

What surprises me in CX9. Frankly, I consider CX9 to be a GREAT car. I am not able to figure out why its sales ain't that good.

It lacks features, only 250hp, requires a turbo, made by Mazda and costs over 40k with some trims.

Any other questions?

Basically, it's a v6 jeep grand Cherokee with less features, less horsepower, less capability, less options, a worse warranty by far, and for significantly more money. Oh, and it requires premium fuel to get the best performance vs 89, and can't use flex fuel e85. Why tf would anyone buy it besides being a Mazda fanatic...and what sort of automotive fanaticism endures the life choices that lead to a 3 row vehicle...?

Last edited:
The Grand Cherokee is A LOT more expensive comparably equipped. A CX-9 Signature is $45290. A Grand Cherokee Summit with AWD and premium leather is $57585. And it's no faster than a CX-9 unless you want the 5.7L V8 which will push you over $70k.

The CX-9 also has three rows of seating, and even if you don't need the third row, it has as much cargo space as the Grand Cherokee when the third row is stowed. It also has the same towing capacity. The CX-9 gets better fuel economy. And it actually handles decent for a big car. Jeeps can't corner. Jeeps are also notoriously unreliable.

I also think the styling of the Grand Cherokee is quite boring compared to the CX-9, and the interior of the Jeep isn't as nice, but YMMV.

The one (and only one) advantage I can think of for the Jeep is better off-road ability, mainly due to the ride height.

The CX-9 interior smoke the Jeep, too. You obviously haven't sat in both.
I think the CX-9 issue is simply: not many people are really aware of it.

I agree. I wish the cx-5 was more of a downsized cx-9. I think the cx-9 is on par with the luxury suv set, but i dont want the size. Cx-5is catching up, but the signature cx-9 feels more luxury.

The Grand Cherokee is A LOT more expensive comparably equipped. A CX-9 Signature is $45290. A Grand Cherokee Summit with AWD and premium leather is $57585. And it's no faster than a CX-9 unless you want the 5.7L V8 which will push you over $70k.

The CX-9 also has three rows of seating, and even if you don't need the third row, it has as much cargo space as the Grand Cherokee when the third row is stowed. It also has the same towing capacity. The CX-9 gets better fuel economy. And it actually handles decent for a big car. Jeeps can't corner. Jeeps are also notoriously unreliable.

I also think the styling of the Grand Cherokee is quite boring compared to the CX-9, and the interior of the Jeep isn't as nice, but YMMV.

The one (and only one) advantage I can think of for the Jeep is better off-road ability, mainly due to the ride height.

What on earth does the CX9 Signature have that the Jeep Limited does not? I know it doesn't have Apple/Android "play" features...nor does it have live traffic...so list something that makes up for the Jeep having that, that the Jeep does not ALSO have. I know my 2010 Limited had pretty much all the features the CX9 did except laser cruise, in addition to things the CX9 just wishes it had.

I've owned a Jeep, and rode in a CX9 demo car while my CX5 was in service. The CX9 was nice, like, $32-37K nice. Not 44K nice. My 2010 Jeep with the Limited interior was about 90% as nice, although it was obviously half a decade behind the times in "style". It still had stuff the CX9 lacked, nor did I see anything the CX9 had "better". Certainly not the multimedia system, which beyond "oooh I like the door panel inserts" is about what the interior of a vehicle boils down to, for me, within reason.

I'm guessing you don't have kids.

Correct. If I did, I certainly couldn't afford much "fanaticism" over vehicles. Some people make a lot more than I, and could of course, but I'd wager they are a rather small part of the population.

So you think the only reason the 9 sells is fanboi-ism / loyalty? I sincerely doubt that. The 9 is pretty universally praised. Have you even watched a review on it? I'm guessing not. #2 on Car & Drivers best SUVs. You think it's s***. Not many others do.
Does the Jeep have a HUD yet?

So you think the only reason the 9 sells is fanboi-ism / loyalty? I sincerely doubt that. The 9 is pretty universally praised. Have you even watched a review on it? I'm guessing not. #2 on Car & Drivers best SUVs. You think it's s***. Not many others do.
Does the Jeep have a HUD yet?

It's not s***, it's just overpriced.
No, not yet, although plenty of retrofit kits exist. I'd take Apple/Android over HUD any day though. My Z06 had it, and I rarely used it.

What isn't overpriced today? Paid $5 freaking dollars for a Cafe Mocha at the new hip coffee shop in the neighborhood. Oy. It wasn't that good.

That's cool though. I get where you're coming. But don't be like Mango and act like you know how everyone feels. I have wanted a HUD since I first saw one on a BMW. I have no doubt the HUD alone has sold at least a few vehicles.
Does the Jeep have Adaptive headlights that turn with the wheel? Another feature I've always wanted and have now. I know the Cherokee doesn't. Does the GC?

What isn't overpriced today? Paid $5 freaking dollars for a Cafe Mocha at the new hip coffee shop in the neighborhood. Oy. It wasn't that good.

That's cool though. I get where you're coming. But don't be like Mango and act like you know how everyone feels. I have wanted a HUD since I first saw one on a BMW. I have no doubt the HUD alone has sold at least a few vehicles.
Does the Jeep have Adaptive headlights that turn with the wheel? Another feature I've always wanted and have now. I know the Cherokee doesn't. Does the GC?

Does the CX9 have 3-stage auto-dimming headlights and auto on/off hi-beam? My 2010 Jeep did...

Also, yes, since at least 2014 the Jeep GC has offered 15* turning headlights. Probably before 2014, but I just did a quick Google and noticed that some trims in 2014 had them.

You paid for the atmosphere with that drink. Not the drink. You can't use "atmosphere/branding" items in comparison. Use stuff like gasoline, milk, copper, etc.

I got it to go. LOL it's expensive because it's a small shop competing with the big chains. They need to get more per cup just to keep the doors open since they don't have deep pockets. Hmm.. just like Mazda?

I got it to go. LOL it's expensive because it's a small shop competing with the big chains. They need to get more per cup just to keep the doors open since they don't have deep pockets. Hmm.. just like Mazda?

Exactly. You ripped yourself off by not experiencing the product. They aren't going to price it cheaper just because it's "to go". Had you stayed, and had the "culture" appealed to you, I'd wager you would have not felt nearly as ripped off. That said, look at you...

You are unimpressed because what matters (coffee) to you, failed to be worth the cost to you ($5). Kindof like I am unimpressed because (list of features in the CX9) fails to impress me for ($44K), because the fact it's a Mazda, it's styling, etc. doesn't really do anything for me that other monikers don't.

So you see my point.

What on earth does the CX9 Signature have that the Jeep Limited does not? I know it doesn't have Apple/Android "play" features...nor does it have live traffic...so list something that makes up for the Jeep having that, that the Jeep does not ALSO have. I know my 2010 Limited had pretty much all the features the CX9 did except laser cruise, in addition to things the CX9 just wishes it had.

A GC Limited with the luxury and safety packages is right about at the same price as the CX-9 Signature, and it's not nearly as nice inside. You've got to go up to the Summit trim to get a similar level of near-luxury interior quality and quietness.

What else does the CX-9 have that the GC lacks: seating for 7, styling, handling, steering response, more torque, a more responsive transmission. It's IMO a nicer vehicle to sit in and way more fun to drive. And the HUD you guys have been talking about.

The lack of live traffic in the nav and AA/CP are big feature omissions from the CX-9, but I don't think that's the main reason why they're not selling. And I don't think it's price either. Part of the problem is having a Turbo I4 vs. a V6, but that is mostly a perception problem. My wife and I drove almost all of the mainstream three-row crossovers last spring, and the engine/transmission combo in the CX-9 was the most responsive and felt the most powerful under most driving conditions. Another problem with the CX-9 is that the third row feels rather cramped at hard to access, and when you have it folded down there isn't as much cargo space as other three-row alternatives.

Unobtanium said:
Correct. If I did, I certainly couldn't afford much "fanaticism" over vehicles. Some people make a lot more than I, and could of course, but I'd wager they are a rather small part of the population.

I have two young kids now and they haven't damped my enthusiasm for vehicles that are fun to drive. I still have my motorcycles, and I still like cars that are fun to drive in the mountains. I don't have the space or budget for a dedicated sports car, but doesn't mean I'm in the market for an appliance that can't handle.

If the $5 cup of coffee tasted great I would have been happy. It was mediocre.
I still the the 9s biggest issue is awareness. Maybe not biggest but certainly a factor. I was hanging out on a forum where people ask about cars they are thinking of. One dude looking at crossovers, I suggested the 9. He replied that last time they were shopping 6 years ago they looked at a Cx7 and did not like it. So they weren't considerung Mazda because of that. I explained the 9 is miles above it. He googled it and was pleasantly surprised and promptly added it to his list.
Awareness.
Not many think Mazda when looking at larger SUVs.

If the $5 cup of coffee tasted great I would have been happy. It was mediocre.
I still the the 9s biggest issue is awareness. Maybe not biggest but certainly a factor. I was hanging out on a forum where people ask about cars they are thinking of. One dude looking at crossovers, I suggested the 9. He replied that last time they were shopping 6 years ago they looked at a Cx7 and did not like it. So they weren't considerung Mazda because of that. I explained the 9 is miles above it. He googled it and was pleasantly surprised and promptly added it to his list.
Awareness.
Not many think Mazda when looking at larger SUVs.
Yeah there is very much still a perception of the old Mazda in my experience.

Back