CX-5 Sales continue to set records

Lack of brand awareness/clout is a big part of it but 3 rowers are mostly appliances that are purchased out of need for space and convenience, resale is going to rank pretty high as well..areas the cx9 doesn't excel in but perception is a big problem..car shoppers tend not to be very open minded, and are generally lazy.

No emblem saying GT. But of course it wont be there. It's well established Mazda saves pennies on these little things..

Nothing to do with that. Other manufactures who have radar cruise control use the front emblem to house it hence they too are no 3D

Lack of brand awareness/clout is a big part of it but 3 rowers are mostly appliances that are purchased out of need for space and convenience, resale is going to rank pretty high as well..areas the cx9 doesn't excel in but perception is a big problem..car shoppers tend not to be very open minded, and are generally lazy.

Brand awareness is the major issue cause by not enough engagement with the consumer.

It also has to do with the consumer not doing their research.

But the CX-5 is fairly well known and sells well despite Mazda doing relatively little to market it. The 3 has done well too, although it took a beating this year.

But the CX-5 is fairly well known and sells well despite Mazda doing relatively little to market it. The 3 has done well too, although it took a beating this year.

2 models well known doesn't exactly mean Mazda as a whole is well known.

General ignorance by the consumer plays a major part.

what sort of automotive fanaticism endures the life choices that lead to a 3 row vehicle...?

Might be a different sort of fanaticism: (naughty) (boobs) (wow) (kiss) (butt) (kissass) (idhitit) (shady) (cabpatch)

If the $5 cup of coffee tasted great I would have been happy. It was mediocre.
I still the the 9s biggest issue is awareness. Maybe not biggest but certainly a factor. I was hanging out on a forum where people ask about cars they are thinking of. One dude looking at crossovers, I suggested the 9. He replied that last time they were shopping 6 years ago they looked at a Cx7 and did not like it. So they weren't considerung Mazda because of that. I explained the 9 is miles above it. He googled it and was pleasantly surprised and promptly added it to his list.
Awareness.
Not many think Mazda when looking at larger SUVs.

Probably because of the 4 cylinder turbo deal. Personally, I just view a turbo as "something else that's going to take a dump at around the 80-120k mile range and need several grand sunk into it".

It's not s***, it's just overpriced.
No, not yet, although plenty of retrofit kits exist. I'd take Apple/Android over HUD any day though. My Z06 had it, and I rarely used it.

I'll jump in on this one, as I currently own a '18 CX-9, and have previously owned Jeep Grand Cherokee's. When I was shopping for my CX-9 I purposefully shopped the GC as well. And I think you're wrong about the comparisons. The only thing my CX-9 does not have as far as options is concerned is the "signature" package. When I priced similarly equipped current model Jeep GC's, the price was over $10k more for the same options list. If you think the CX-9 is overpriced, you should price out a similarly equipped jeep...there is no comparison cost wise. Also note that when I was shopping, the CX-9 was barely over MSRP, even for the well equipped models!

Also, drive the current models of both. The new GC drives much, much better than the old ones (gotta give credit where it's due), but it still does not drive (i.e. turn as well, feel as balanced, inspire as much confidence when pushing it, ride as smooth, make you smile) as well as the current CX-9. Again, no comparison.

Then there's that pesky issue of the third row seating, which was a requirement for me.

The new jeeps are nice, and if I were to buy a car for going off-road regularly...it'd be a jeep. But for my use, seating for seven, all the amenities the CX-9 has at it's pricepoint, the GC doesn't come close.

I've owned 5 turbo cars. Replaced a lot of things on those Saabs...but never a Turbo. Although to be fair I knew the 99 9-3s turbo was on it's way out when we traded it in. That car started life as a rental so it wasn't surprising.

Funny as people are talking about brand awareness. One of the reasons I settled on the CX-9 is that (when I was looking) they were difficult to spot in the wild...very few people had them. At least around here. I hate parking my car and coming back to three just like it.

It was a factor in my decision, too.
Fast forward 6 months after I bought mine and there are 3 CX5s in the parking lot. Lol

Funny as people are talking about brand awareness. One of the reasons I settled on the CX-9 is that (when I was looking) they were difficult to spot in the wild...very few people had them. At least around here. I hate parking my car and coming back to three just like it.

No way to avoid that here. We have everything from Hurican's to MC4's to Evora's to every CUV you can imagine, in numbers. G-wagon? S63AMG? Viper? PD100 Tesla? You're just another person.

7eregrine...and how many miles were on those turbo cars when you got rid of 'em? As to my "rental car", it's done better than most CX5's on this forum so far, regarding failures. Literally nothing has broken in 75K miles (including the brakes still stopping without hitting the metal wear bar...) except the rear diff, and I take responsibility for flooding it, has zero baring on it being a prior rental.

Never had a car go over 100k.
I also was a moderator at Saabcentral.com. I know a lot about Saabs and Turbo reliability. They are very reliable.

Never had a car go over 100k.
I also was a moderator at Saabcentral.com. I know a lot about Saabs and Turbo reliability. They are very reliable.

That's what I thought. Ask the Jeep forum mods, those are reliable, too, by THAT barometer.

Everyone here says NOOOO!!!!!
https://ask.metafilter.com/244068/Should-I-purchase-a-Saab
https://forums.anandtech.com/threads/are-saabs-generally-reliable-cars.23588/
http://www.saabcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=145390
https://www.reddit.com/r/saab/comments/3wtm4i/03_saab_93_reliability/
https://www.truedelta.com/car-reliability.php?stage=pt&bd=Saab&mc=243

and you personally have ZERO experience with them over 100K miles.

Hence, my opinion, is that you lack both the first hand knowledge to comment on their turbo reliability, as well as your second-hand knowledge and the source you listed, even, says they aren't so good.

*I simply chose links to hits on the first page Google Chrome pulled up when I typed "SAAB reliability". Took about 5 minutes, give/take to read through the links, and then post them.-

Last edited:
Oh for ***** sake. Feeling argumentative today? I was a mod for 7 years. Visiting the forum daily and helping people. Sorry but that trump's any amount of Googling you can do. Period.
Do Turbos fail? Of course they do. I'm not saying that. Where did I say that?
And due to my years of service to that forum and brand I can diagnose a failing Saab Turbo by smelling the exhaust. (That's a joke).
I know Saabs. I know Garret Turbos. And Aisins.
My favorite Saab was the 98 900 SE. Also the highest mileage. Just over 92 when I sold her. Original turbo. Drove like new. Kick myself for not keeping that one.

Oh for ***** sake. Feeling argumentative today? I was a mod for 7 years. Visiting the forum daily and helping people. Sorry but that trump's any amount of Googling you can do. Period.
Do Turbos fail? Of course they do. I'm not saying that. Where did I say that?
And due to my years of service to that forum and brand I can diagnose a failing Saab Turbo by smelling the exhaust. (That's a joke).
I know Saabs. I know Garret Turbos. And Aisins.
My favorite Saab was the 98 900 SE. Also the highest mileage. Just over 92 when I sold her. Original turbo. Drove like new. Kick myself for not keeping that one.

Let me know when you've kept a car half as long as I have, lol

92k miles ain't s***. It better drive like new.

Then you'll always be talking to me as "someone who read on a forum..." instead of as someone like me, who knows from first hand experience :p

Of course, your first hand experience may have no relation or relevance to anyone else's, or a group in general.
Opinions and anecdotes aren't facts.

Back