CX-5 rattles

VictorZZZ

:
2014 CX5 AWD
I have a new CX-5 and from the start, there is a rattle.
sometimes it happens constantly other times only when going over bumps. either way it's driving me crazy.

I think i've isolated it (or at least one of them) to the passenger sun visor. If I leave the visor all the way up it vibrates, if I push it down a bit it stops.
Any way I can easily fix this?

Any other common places where this car rattles, and how did you fix them? does the warranty cover these things?

Someone on this forum discovered his sunglasses were rattling in the overhead console storage bin. Could this be your problem?

I had a rattle in one of the front vents louvres. Exercising it around a bit made it go away. Strangely, the CX5 interior has gotten more rattle-free the longer I've had it - I guess as the parts seat themselves more fully over time.

Dash rattles a lot when cold near the front speakers near windscreen. But I'm done with Mazda. First and last. it's going next month after 16 months from new! lovely looking car, Great engine, Poor build quality. Skyactive is a good idea in theory but some things like the thinner metal panels, Thin carpet and other weight cutting measures let it down. Ever washed the bonnet(Hood) and the metal has pushed in because it's so thin. Ok yes it reverts to its proper shape but its so thin. Mirror vibration Hood vibration but the biggest letdown is the built in swimming pool I now have in front and rear footwells. Shoddy!

Last edited:
Dash rattles a lot when cold near the front speakers near windscreen. But I'm done with Mazda. First and last. it's going next month after 16 months from new! lovely looking car, Great engine, Poor build quality. Skyactive is a good idea in theory but some things like the thinner metal panels, Thin carpet and other weight cutting measures let it down. Ever washed the bonnet(Hood) and the metal has pushed in because it's so thin. Ok yes it reverts to its proper shape but its so thin. Mirror vibration Hood vibration but the biggest letdown is the built in swimming pool I now have in front and rear footwells. Shoddy!

Have you driven many other new vehicles? The build quality is pretty decent. There's some issues for sure, but again... have you really looked at other new cars? It sounds like you have a leak though, has your dealer replaced the windshield?

All new vehicles have thin metal to keep the weight down. This is a new fact of life in a world of bumping up the mpg. My parents recently bought an Acura RLX - same deal - very thin. You can push the door panels in with your hand. And it already has a recall to fix suspension bolts that weren't tightened correctly at the factory.

Apart from the swimming pool, I agree with everything. I love the car, especially the engine, but the build quality is way below par. If I leave it outside overnight in freezing conditions, the drive to work is just a ratlle fest! Front A pillars, somewhere above the glove box, hand brake, overhead panel, grab handle above door, rear door panel, 10 mins after driving and they seem to be gone away as soon as there is a little bit of heat in the cabin. It's also lucky that Swiss roads are very smooth, otherwise would be a nightmare. The interior is full of hard plastic everwhere you touch it, and full of soft plastic everywhere you don't have to touch it! Door bins rattle if anything inside, bottle holder rattles if a plastic bottle is inside, glove box seems to be made of lego! First car I have had where the boot (trunk) has hard plastic along the sides and not carpets. The carpet quality is very poor, I hate the feeling when vacuuming it, they come away from the floor so far! Removing the mats from the studs isn't fun, im sure the whole carpet is going to come away in my hand. Same issue when washing, panels buckle as you wash it, wiping the bonnet from left to right with a sponge and the whole thing flexes. Will enjoy the car for another 2 - 3 years then spend a little extra cash on something of higher quality. Suspension in mine is noisy when going over uneven sufaces, every morning I turn into my works car park and I hear creaks and clunks! Service is in a month, see what the dealer can do, I will give them one chance then I live with it, my experience with Mazda dealers is a joke!

Have you driven many other new vehicles? The build quality is pretty decent. There's some issues for sure, but again... have you really looked at other new cars? It sounds like you have a leak though, has your dealer replaced the windshield?

All new vehicles have thin metal to keep the weight down. This is a new fact of life in a world of bumping up the mpg. My parents recently bought an Acura RLX - same deal - very thin. You can push the door panels in with your hand. And it already has a recall to fix suspension bolts that weren't tightened correctly at the factory.
The last 6 cars I have owned have all been from brand new. Mazda, Nissan, Vauxhall (GM) Vauxhall(GM) Vauxhall(GM) and Ford - in that order. Every car has had its small niggles, some resolved and some not which I just lived with but only the Mazda has the flimsy build. Some of the materials used in the Mazda are really great and do look the part. I do think it "looks" like a quality built car and has great styling. I Just think that all these weight cutting measures may have resulted in a more fuel efficient car but at a cost in other areas. I have never seen a car with such thin metal bodywork. At first I thought this Skyactive was the way forward and the way other manufactures would follow but now I'm not so sure. Is gaining a few mpg on a 300 mile trip really worth it for most people, I think not. BTW The leak was due to a faulty blower on the firewall which is being repaired under warranty.

apart from the swimming pool, i agree with everything. I love the car, especially the engine, but the build quality is way below par. If i leave it outside overnight in freezing conditions, the drive to work is just a ratlle fest! Front a pillars, somewhere above the glove box, hand brake, overhead panel, grab handle above door, rear door panel, 10 mins after driving and they seem to be gone away as soon as there is a little bit of heat in the cabin. It's also lucky that swiss roads are very smooth, otherwise would be a nightmare. The interior is full of hard plastic everwhere you touch it, and full of soft plastic everywhere you don't have to touch it! Door bins rattle if anything inside, bottle holder rattles if a plastic bottle is inside, glove box seems to be made of lego! First car i have had where the boot (trunk) has hard plastic along the sides and not carpets. The carpet quality is very poor, i hate the feeling when vacuuming it, they come away from the floor so far! Removing the mats from the studs isn't fun, im sure the whole carpet is going to come away in my hand. Same issue when washing, panels buckle as you wash it, wiping the bonnet from left to right with a sponge and the whole thing flexes. Will enjoy the car for another 2 - 3 years then spend a little extra cash on something of higher quality. Suspension in mine is noisy when going over uneven sufaces, every morning i turn into my works car park and i hear creaks and clunks! Service is in a month, see what the dealer can do, i will give them one chance then i live with it, my experience with mazda dealers is a joke!

so true about the carpets!

i have to disagreed with everything you guys have said. Im in Boston, Ma USA and we have been hit by one of the coldest winter in years. every freezing morning on my pothole ridden state i go to work and nothing rattles. keep in mind everyday is way below freezing in here and the car has always perform flawlessly. the plastic in the back!! come on everything in made with plastic now days. its not the 80's or even 90's when car manufacturers used it on the sides. pool?? take to the dealer! there should not be any kind of liquid in the cabin. noise, vibration or denting. i have not experience . if you bend the sides or hood while washing YOU'RE DOING IT TO HARD!! remember its new. you don't want to scratch the paint.

i have to disagreed with everything you guys have said. Im in Boston, Ma USA and we have been hit by one of the coldest winter in years. every freezing morning on my pothole ridden state i go to work and nothing rattles. keep in mind everyday is way below freezing in here and the car has always perform flawlessly. the plastic in the back!! come on everything in made with plastic now days. its not the 80's or even 90's when car manufacturers used it on the sides. pool?? take to the dealer! there should not be any kind of liquid in the cabin. noise, vibration or denting. i have not experience . if you bend the sides or hood while washing YOU'RE DOING IT TO HARD!! remember its new. you don't want to scratch the paint.
+1

I was wondering the same thing about the washing. If you push so hard while washing the body that you are deforming the metal than you are pushing way too hard. Maybe you should be looking at a BMW X3 instead, but it will cost you $20,000 more compatibly equipped.

It is in the dealers and has been for 4 weeks! Waiting on a part that has to come from Japan and going by the wait time has to be manufactured. Roll on 5 weeks and I get my new Nissan Qashqai.

While Im happy with the great gas milage and styling of my CX5. Its a rattle box. The most annoying one is from the rear. Have had the hatch adjusted an a tech ride in the back. Still no solution to the what sounds like change in an ashtray when going over bumps and rough pavement. While looking for possible causes Ive noticed 2 things that have concerned me as far as build quality. 1 is the loose rear spoiler inserts. I checked out a few cx5 on a lot and they all had it. 2 was the loose rear tail lights. This could be the source of the rear rattle. I will have the dealer check again at next service.

I have a new CX-5 and from the start, there is a rattle.
sometimes it happens constantly other times only when going over bumps. either way it's driving me crazy.

I think i've isolated it (or at least one of them) to the passenger sun visor. If I leave the visor all the way up it vibrates, if I push it down a bit it stops.
Any way I can easily fix this?

Any other common places where this car rattles, and how did you fix them? does the warranty cover these things?

My passenger visor also buzzed/rattled a little bit when the car was brand new, but that particular noise has gone away.

Once weather turned really cold, my car started to rattle near the driver's side A-pillar (same as others have stated previously). It usually goes away once the cabin has warmed up a little bit. Sometimes it will also rattle on a rough road, regardless of whether the cabin is warm or cold.

Last thing, I bought a cargo cover a couple months after buying the car. The cover was noisy for a while after I got but seems to have settled down now (mostly). I occasionally still hear noise from the back but have not pin-pointed the source. Could be the seats, armrest, the spring loaded mechanism that holds the cargo cover in place, or the cargo cover sheet itself.

I was disappointed with all the noises especially considering that the MSRP, fully equipped, is almost $32k. I bought this vehicle largely to save some money over a Q5 (purchase price + mileage + premium fuel), but often think that I would have been much happier if I had bit the bullet and sprung for the Audi.

MSRP's are up nearly $2K on AWD GT's since introduction of of CX-5 in early 2012.

But all those rattles and noises are not normal.

All new vehicles have thin metal to keep the weight down.

Exactly! Modern cars put the metal where it will protect the driver in a collision, not waste it on heavy body panels which have the purpose of providing a smooth slipstream and shedding water. Body panels are not designed to absorb crash impact - even heavy metal panels on older cars would crumple in the slightest crash.

My CX-5 with 15,000 miles has not developed any rattles - tight as a drum thanks to modern automotive technologies. I beat it up pretty good on rough mountain roads and nothing is rattling or falling off so I fail to see the issue.

What modern automotive technologies does Mazda apply to their cabins? If you fail to see the issue, then you are turning a blind eye to many threads on here about rattles in the CX5 cabin.

I've developed a rattle/buzz in my rear hatch. I haven't been able to pinpoint it yet, nor have I really tried. I only hear it once in a while on bumpy roads. If it continues once it warms up I'll investigate, if not I'll attribute it to the ~30 plus days of below zero weather here.

Back