CX-5 rattles

Just wanted to add that I have a 2015 CX-5 that developed a dash rattle around 2,500 miles. Turned out there was a Service Bulletin for this. They simply added a spacer to the front shocks - and I've been rattle free for 1,000 miles now (fingers crossed). Hope this helps someone.

Just wanted to add that I have a 2015 CX-5 that developed a dash rattle around 2,500 miles. Turned out there was a Service Bulletin for this. They simply added a spacer to the front shocks - and I've been rattle free for 1,000 miles now (fingers crossed). Hope this helps someone.

Is there a TSB# on the work order? I haven't seen that one. I've only seen a TSB for replacement of rear shocks.

I installed OEM side window deflectors and the windows rattle when they are cracked to the bottom of the deflector, about an inch down. They don't rattle when they are set half way down the track. Anyone else have this happening?

There is a TSB for that. Look around.

There is a TSB for that, but when I took mine with the TSB to the dealer, they said mine doesn't apply since it's a newer VIN number. Mine was built September 2013, and still has that rattle. They applied some padding anyways, and told me that my aftermarket tint is adding more to the rattle. I don't believe them, and it's still not fixed.
It's pretty stupid that Mazda designed it to rattle so much. Keep the window open about 1 inch, and if I close the door, it almost feels like the windows would crack.

My passenger side visor also rattles time by time. It's just a tad loose, and hits against the ceiling. These small things make the car feel cheap.

There is a TSB for that, but when I took mine with the TSB to the dealer, they said mine doesn't apply since it's a newer VIN number. Mine was built September 2013, and still has that rattle. They applied some padding anyways, and told me that my aftermarket tint is adding more to the rattle. I don't believe them, and it's still not fixed.
It's pretty stupid that Mazda designed it to rattle so much. Keep the window open about 1 inch, and if I close the door, it almost feels like the windows would crack.

My passenger side visor also rattles time by time. It's just a tad loose, and hits against the ceiling. These small things make the car feel cheap.

Did the padding fix the issue ?

I have a newCX 5 apart from a few niggles I am happy. The first - 4 morning in Scotland and the dashboard turns into a rattle all day festival ! Only thing is it doesn't last all day it lasts till the interior heats up then it goes away.
If something is loose it is loose wither hot or cold ..right ? I may be a million miles away here but is it the materials the plastic / leather dashboard is made from? Hardening when cold and loosing any flexibility causing an annoying noise when going over bumps in the road due to the slightest movement. The cab heats up and hey presto it's as quiet as my dentists waiting room ....just a thought.

I have had no rattles until this week when I had to replace the front windshield. There is now a slight rattle sound over large bumps coming from the front left/centre but not once the interior of the car is warmed up then no sounds anymore. Once the winter and the very cold weather passes I will investigate further unless it goes away with the warmer weather.

I have a new 2015 CX-5 and noticed my first rattle today, coming from somewhere to the rear of me. Stuff happens I guess, but I am beginning to think that this car does not have near the build quality as my previous car, a simple little 2006 Pontiac Vibe. I'll say one thing for that Vibe, it never saw a day in the service garage, it never rattled, and I never had a single problem with it for all the 9 years that I owned it.

Last edited:
I have a new 2015 CX-5 and noticed my first rattle today, coming from somewhere to the rear of me. Stuff happens I guess, but I am beginning to think that this car does not have near the build quality as my previous car, a simple little 2006 Pontiac Vibe. I'll say one thing for that Vibe, it never saw a day in the service garage, it never rattled, and I never had a single problem with it for all the 9 years that I owned it.
Might have something to do with the fact that it was a Toyota Matrix in drag!

I have that infamous A-pillar rattle when it’s cold. It goes away because the side window vent blows warm air on it after a while softening the plastic up. When I brought it in for inspection I told them to look at this. The tech told me there wasn’t anything that could really be done because the plastic piece in question had to be flexible and loose enough for the air bags to deploy safely, which made sense. He has a CX5 that does the same thing. He told me of a TSB generated addressing body flex which occurs during the life of the vehicle. Procedure involves retightening the fasteners of body brace below the windshield. It was supposed to alleviate some of the inside ratting but really didn’t. Still love the car but just one of those things, I guess.

I have that infamous A-pillar rattle when it’s cold. It goes away because the side window vent blows warm air on it after a while softening the plastic up. When I brought it in for inspection I told them to look at this. The tech told me there wasn’t anything that could really be done because the plastic piece in question had to be flexible and loose enough for the air bags to deploy safely, which made sense. He has a CX5 that does the same thing. He told me of a TSB generated addressing body flex which occurs during the life of the vehicle. Procedure involves retightening the fasteners of body brace below the windshield. It was supposed to alleviate some of the inside ratting but really didn’t. Still love the car but just one of those things, I guess.

I have noticed a lot of newer vehicles have rattles, including luxury cars. I think the pressure to reduce weight to increase gas mileage has car makers shaving the materials thinner, using fewer fasteners and less bracing, allowing more flex.

The most persistant rattle is from somewhere up and behind my glovebox, but neither I nor the dealer can find it (dealer added foam to the glovebox back, but that's not it). I've pulled the glovebox out and reached up into the mess of wires and ducting, re-arranging them, looking for a loose cable or something... but nothing seems out of place.

Curiously, if I press in on the soft dash either above the shiny black trim by the glovebox, or even on the upper part of the dash there, the rattle lessens or stops.

Found it. In case it helps someone else...

I pried off the black decoration strip running along the dash, passenger side to center stack. Wrap a screwdriver with tape and pry out the right corner first (pops out eventually), then work your way toward the center.

The strip has numerous plastic tabs sticking out behind it which slide into groves in the dash. Those tabs each have a metal clip loosely clamped onto the end of the tab. It looks like those clips are designed to spring/expand when pushed into the slots, "clicking" and locking the panel in place. One or more of them apparently wasn't expanding enough, and just rattled around in it's slot. I bent the clips open a bit more to make them fit snug, and put some tape on them just in case to soften the rattle if it happens again.

Took it for a long test drive down horribly bumpy roads and everything stayed silent. It's been humid here lately, so it might be coincidence (tends to be more quiet in warm/humid weather), but I'm hopeful ;)

Incidentally, I also saw where the dealer put padding around the backside of the panel in an attempt to stop the rattle. That fix doesn't help.

Forget the rattles, wait until the rust starts.. Mine is rusting in the door hinges and dealers says the warranty only covers panel perforation and not the hinges so I am SOL. Just my luck since I have a white one and it stands out every time I open the door.

Hi folks

I have a 14 GS (Canada) with about 40K km on it. I have persistent rattles in the passenger side dash. The dealer has done any indicated TSBs and it hasn't gotten better. I thought I would check in here to see if there were any solutions by owners. I live on a gravel road so my car has a severe test for rattles. I agree that it's mostly when the cabin is cold. One really bad rattle I had that was driving me nuts was the high pitched plastic ticks coming from the centre console. We have had a hard winter here and it's been cold and icy. The roads have been extremely rough, like a rutted wagon trail full of ice and pot holes. I finally got fed up with the console rattle and figured it out. By experimenting I figured out that if you put 1/4" thick weather stripping up under the bottom of the sides of the console where it rests against the carpet you can stop that rattle pretty much dead. This was an easy, cheap DIY fix. It was a big relief not to cringe all the way out to the main road every morning. It pretty much killed it dead, even on cold mornings on rough icy roads. I haven't had any issues with the rear hatch vibration. The vanity mirrors will rattle. The mirror cover seems to work it's way open a little then it rattles. Sun glasses will rattle in the overhead holder. I also had the front shock covers replaced after the first winter. The new ones seem to have survived this winter without any issues. I think the original ones may have been held fast to the shock at the bottom, causing them to be pulled apart when iced up. The new ones are a looser fit and hopefully will last. I had no trouble getting my dealer to replace them. I assume the TSBs are listed on here somewhere? I need to review them.
Even with all the rattles I still enjoy driving this car and when I ask myself what would I buy if doing it again, the answer still comes back CX5. It's just so engaging and fun to drive compared to everything else I tested. The good handling has come in handy this winter with the bad driving conditions. The AWD works great and I'll take a CX5 over a Forester any day on snowy roads in spite of the Subi's supposedly superior AWD system. The CX5 gives you much more feedback from the road and that's a good thing!

Last edited:
Hi,
I tracked my rattle to the vent at the base of the windscreen, only happens during winter months

Latest posts

Back