CX-5 rattles

I am in the NW WA area and our winters are not that cold, but I still have the following rattles: A-pillar rattles (time for a TSB? I think so), passenger side door rattles, from music playing at around 20 level (doesn't sound like the speaker is blown), window rattle when windows are down at about 3/4 way, rear trunk rattle while driving on pavement. I found TSB's for everything aside from the a-pillar rattle. Took my CX-5 in today in the morning to our Mazda (University Mazda) dealership, where I bought the ride from. Hopefully they will fix these rattles up. I'm rolling tough in a Mazda 2 loaner now. Better watch out!

UPDATE:
After driving with the Mazda tech on a rougher road, I pointed out all the rattles. The tech disassembled and reassembled my center console, right door. That eliminated some noise. I also had them reposition my a-pillars, though they claimed to "not hear any noise". I had to literally tap on the pillars for them to finally admit that there was noise. I don't hear the noise now, unless I'm on a gravel road. Hopefully the rattle won't come back.

Last edited:
When I had the 'A Pillar' rattle, (a bit like a tapping noise), I checked the TSB, R017/12C, about using a screwdriver to lever the two panels apart behind the door hinge inside the fender area. But instead of the Mazda method, I squirted some pressure-pack lubricant in the area (CRC) by levering the foam seal back with a flat piece of wood and squirting in the location mentioned in the service bulletin. Didn't fix it immediately, but was gone by the next day.

Just an update on my rear rattle..or should I now say rattles. Took it in for my service appointment and notified the rep of my issues; 1. Rear hatch area rattle 2. Loose tail lights. Tech checked the tail lights and told me he tightened them a little and that they are a little loose to allow for expansion. He also performed the TSB for the rear hatch. The ride home from the dealer was on smooth high and was nice and quiet. The next day on the ride to work on not so smooth roads was a rattle filled excursion. It was making more noise then it was...great! Made another appointment and took the CX-5 in yesterday. Was at the dealer for 2 hours and was told the hatch was adjusted again. Took it for a quick ride near the dealer and it was just as bad..if not worse...arrrggg! The tech is at a loss and said he was going to put a call into Mazda for some help. Service rep called me back they want my car for an entire day to TRY some things Mazda suggested. Crossing my fingers.

Seems that everyone complaining of rattles joined this forum in 2013. I assume they bought 2013 models. Perhaps rattles have been cured? I have a 2014.5 and zero rattles at 1000 miles.

This long term review stated," no squeaks or rattles have arisen and the ride impresses, even on imperfect roads."
http://www.autoguide.com/auto-news/2013/08/mazda-cx-5-long-term-update-3-review.html

I find it amazing such a relatively big vehicle has same city mpg as my 2007 Civic. The weight reduction and new engine technology really come together to give amazing mpg. Its best in class combined mpg, and yet a full second faster 0-60mph than the CRV and Forester. CX-5 has best handling in its class too.

There are 3-4 CUV videos on youtube comparing CX-5,CRV,RAV4, and Forester. They all picked the CX-5 as best in class. The CX-5 is no Lexus or BMW, but those cost twice as much.

Last edited:
Seems that everyone complaining of rattles joined this forum in 2013. I assume they bought 2013 models.

I think you're probably right. Looking through the rattle TSBs, it seems Mazda changed the design process/parts for later models. We 2013 owners (mine's a June 2012 build) did the beta testing ;)

I've developed a rattle/buzz in my rear hatch. I haven't been able to pinpoint it yet, nor have I really tried. I only hear it once in a while on bumpy roads. If it continues once it warms up I'll investigate, if not I'll attribute it to the ~30 plus days of below zero weather here.

Update:

I adjusted the latch per the TSB and that did nothing.

I started poking around and discovered the plastic access door on the passenger side of the inside of the rear hatch was the culprit. I removed it and placed a piece of foam tape on the tab opposite the two access slots. The foam tape tightened up the fit and solved the issue.

Update

3 trips to the dealer and rattle/rattles not fixed, Loose tail lights not fixed...
Dealer had my CX-5 for 2 days and didn't resolve anything. Taking a few days to regroup and plan my next course of action.
Whatever it is it want be at that dealership. The Tech has no knowledge of this vehicle whatsoever.

The CX runs fine but the amount of clunks, rattles and chatters from the rear of this CUV shouldn't be for a product in this price range.

Yes I've had the hatch adjusted...more than once.

My rattle was finally resolved. The right rear wheel housing kit did not fix it. Tightening the rear door latch did not fix it. Grinding down the right side of the trailer hitch above the muffler fixed it. How the muffler rubber hangers are set and the location of muffler can cause other things to rattle or rattle against: I suggest watching the tech at dealer take it apart and be very picky about clearance of muffler!

Thanx to all who PM'd me and here who offered ideas and advice. It was all much appreciated.

Update: Done with it! Just gonna have to accept it and move on. I know its not a characteristic of all CX-5. I received a loaner from the dealership and it was quiet and smooth. After doing just about all the suggestions here and several trips to the dealership the rattle/chatter/clunk still exist. Will take it to another dealership for my 15000 service and ask to do the rear a once over. Thanx again.

Anyone's CX-5 with tech have shaky HID headlights? Both of mine vibrate when going over "pavement ripples" at any speed. The driver's side seems a bit looser than the left. Should I be concerned and have them checked? Or is this part of what the whole front end does due to the suspension? I've read that unsecured HIDs might crap out sooner, so...

Another note to folks: check your rear seatbelts. If the unclipped latch is at the top of the seat against the interior trim, it will vibrate and throw the sound around the cabin.

BTW The leak was due to a faulty blower on the firewall which is being repaired under warranty.

The source of the leak is interesting. I had a 1988 Mazda MX-6 which had water in the front pass. wheel well. And they diagnosed it as a faulty blower fan and replaced it under warranty. Would've hoped Mazda would fix that design by now! Never have had that on any other vehicle, before or since. Anyway, the MX-6 was my first new car--fire engine red with a silky 5-speed tranny. I got 13 years of good use out of that car, and still remember it fondly.

Glad we have a thread for this.

Rattles are pretty noticeable from cold start up. First is coming from the console unit/right below it. Second passenger side (which I suspect is the pull down visor, as holding onto that seems to stop it most of the time) and the rattle from the trunk. Now that spring is here I'll be seeing if I can work some of the tweaks mentioned here. If the noises are still there, hopefully the guy who runs the Mazda garage can fix it.

Must admit, 2013 model had most issues. All are gone by 14.5 I confirm as I have owned 13 Sport, 14 FWD and now 14.5 AWD.

The mirror shake has been fixed.
Rattles by 'a' pillars that I had with 2013, are gone now.
Rattles from gear shift area are gone. I experienced this with 13 model in the winter (sub zero temps.)
The hood on 14 is much stiffer. I've noticed that when opening/closing. Very substantial difference actually.

The 14 is still not problem free. USB resume has not been fixed. My wife's 2014 has both shock boot torn in front. The dealer is 'investigating' with Mazda. Whatever that means.

Lastly, one has to keep in mind that this is 20-30K car which nowadays is really good. The Touring AWD can be purchased for ~26K.

We've been getting ~29 MPG in AWD models constantly in mixed driving. I like it since the gas has been $4.20-4.80 lately in Chicago and burbs.

Last edited:
Rattles are pretty noticeable from cold start up.

Same here, it's really a night/day difference on cold days versus warm. The dash rattles in number of places whenever I hit bumps on a 30-degree day, but the same road in 80 degree, humid weather... it's usually silent. Almost eerie silent.

The most persistant rattle is from somewhere up and behind my glovebox, but neither I nor the dealer can find it (dealer added foam to the glovebox back, but that's not it). I've pulled the glovebox out and reached up into the mess of wires and ducting, re-arranging them, looking for a loose cable or something... but nothing seems out of place.

Curiously, if I press in on the soft dash either above the shiny black trim by the glovebox, or even on the upper part of the dash there, the rattle lessens or stops. But I don't know what that tells me exactly.

Anyone else had a problem in this area?

Think so, seems to be right in the middle of the dash opposite passenger seat, it's not the glove box, seems to be above it but not near the surface. Now it's warm, I don't hear many rattles luckily, but that rattle was fixed by a fairy hefty thump on the dash!

My wife's 2014 has both shock boot torn in front. The dealer is 'investigating' with Mazda. Whatever that means.

Mine are splitting apart too, both sides. This happened very early on in my cars life (I only have 16K now, started much earlier). Have not brought it up to dealer yet. The boot is made of the cheapest plastic I've ever seen. I bet it just froze once and split then and there.

I have a new CX-5 and from the start, there is a rattle.
sometimes it happens constantly other times only when going over bumps. either way it's driving me crazy.

I think i've isolated it (or at least one of them) to the passenger sun visor. If I leave the visor all the way up it vibrates, if I push it down a bit it stops.
Any way I can easily fix this?

Mine has the same sun visor rattle on the pass side. It vibrates against the roof on rougher roads when above 30-40 mph, the drivers side is rock solid. I see no way to tighten the visor shaft, the only way to stop the vibratin is to pull it down an inch or so which looks crappy.

Mine are splitting apart too, both sides. This happened very early on in my cars life (I only have 16K now, started much earlier). Have not brought it up to dealer yet. The boot is made of the cheapest plastic I've ever seen. I bet it just froze once and split then and there.

Got phonecall that they will replace both. Seems very laborious to disassemble both shocks/springs to replace $8 boots.

They should have used something more rigid in the 1st place.

Dealers love covered expensive repairs like that they make more $$$$. The question is are the replacement boots improved or the same ones that failed before?

Same on mine too.

Back