Any way to prevent rear view camera from getting wet ?

Well, it's also physics that there is a huge spot behind the rear of a vehicle that is blind to someone looking over shoulder from drivers seat. If a kid is there and hit, it's called a backover. In front...frontover. Kids are killed. These cams reduce that chance.

kidsandcars.org

In front, blind spot can be up to ten ft out. A ten ft blind spot can hide several kids hiding in a game of hide and seek.

If I used my eyes, even if I get out before reversing, and look behind my car, then rush back into seat and go into reverse and look over shoulder, a kid could still run there. The cam can see them when I can't.

No one is going to like every technology. But some have clear advantages.

I have started bringing up the front cam before pulling out of garage, my garage is in a laneway and kids play there. I like to check that one hasn't scampered there before I pull out.
I get all that. I'm not saying that back up cameras are bad or unnecessary; but they are an aid--that's it. They are not fool proof, and they are not infallible. They have limitations. If it's unsafe to back up without one, then I guess everyone needs to stay home when it rains.

Here in PA, when people take their driver's license test, they are not allowed to utilize the back up camera on the test--there's a reason for that. There's too much reliance on it. My son got his license last year, and I see it first hand. I have caught him many times just looking at the camera, and not all around with his eyes.

While not fail safe, the reason you see drivers of utility vehicles place orange cones front and rear is to insure that they check both ends before driving off. Hopefully they pick them up before leaving!

Not the answer to the original question, just an observation about an age old problem.

Here in PA, when people take their driver's license test, they are not allowed to utilize the back up camera on the test--there's a reason for that. There's too much reliance on it.

You got me wondering, so I looked it up for Ontario and us too...can't use the back up cam. If I were taking the test, I'd be so afraid of looking at it I'd cover it up to be safe. Must be tricky being a tester. So many of these systems can be a bit hyper. Do you fail someone if they are chirped by the blind spot monitor? I truly believe it beeps at times when I am safe to do a lane change. I guess the testers get used to ignoring such things, and judging for themself.

Been almost 3 decades since my test and my kid is 1. Yikes! By time he takes it, will have been four and a half decades! How much will have changed...

Back then no graduated system. We could pile in passengers, no enhanced alcohol limits, could go freely on any size highway. I would just go cruise on Hwy 401 here in Toronto, they say it's about as busy as LA's busiest freeways.

While not fail safe, the reason you see drivers of utility vehicles place orange cones front and rear is to insure that they check both ends before driving off.

Those big trucks should have them, they're obviously at great risk for this issue. I know the law in North America is all new passenger vehicles must have back up cam. Not sure if larger trucks will be added to that in future.

Interesting find. When you say that it works really well, do you mean in general or do you mean on the CX-9. It is getting mixed reviews on amazon, which make sense based on the variability of aerodynamic flow from car to car. I don’t expect that a single design would work for every car model, so we would have to test it out on the CX-9 if you haven’t done so already.

What about just spraying it with a hydrophilic spray system? Would need to be reapplied every so often, but might be doable. Check out the videos from Ultra Ever-Dry

What about just spraying it with a hydrophilic spray system? Would need to be reapplied every so often, but might be doable. Check out the videos from Ultra Ever-Dry

Hm, I thought this Ultra Ever-Dry stuff would be the same as the many hydrophobic spray waxes/detail sprays on the market right now, but it appears to be a little better. I'm not sure how effective it would be in actual use though.

Back