Any Complaints (hopefully all minor)

The speedo and GPS will always bee different if every model of vehicle.

The speed by law has to be a small percentage *below* the actual speed. Typically this could be anywhere between 95% and 99% of the actual speed.
Presently GPS is very accurate for civilian use. The speed indicated on the GPS in clear view of the sky, and without interference has a confidence level of 95% to be within 2 metres of accurate. So 112 on your GPS is most likely to be 112 in actuality.

No issue with your speed. It is completely *normal* and completely *legal*.

Just for the record, President Clinton is responsible for bringing accuracy back to the GPS signal to civilians (and hence the world). Prior to then, intentional errors were added to the civilian band. This was in part to ensure that GPS units couldn't be used to allow extremists to launch and control rockets using the device. To get around that the civilian band has a speed restriction which causes it to lose signal at the speeds that would be reached by launching rockets.

Sources:
http://www.gps.gov/systems/gps/performance/accuracy/histogram.png
http://support.radioshack.com/support_tutorials/gps/gps_SA.htm

Good info inodes, very interesting about the civilian gps band - never heard that before.

Picked Up white GT last Monday it is covered in Rust from train transport--in addition Roof is scratched pretty bad---so far not impressed with the dealer we bought the car from--otherwise we like the CX5.

In my CX-5, the rearview mirror is slightly warped, like a rolling warp from left to right but it's only noticeable when I look in the mirror and then move my head. It's a cheap mirror, and I plan to upgrade to the nicer one anyway.

Another complaint of mine has been mentioned already, that the driver's side door controls aren't backlit, something I found frustrating the first night I had the vehicle. I can live with it once I get used to the control positions.

Also, I don't like that the driver's seat doesn't have a front-side tilt control like the back does (not talking about the reclining feature, but the entire seat tilting). Even in the GT model, the driver's seat isn't a real 8-way control; the 7/8 controls adjust the lumbar section. Many other makes have both front and rear tilts, and my guess is it was excluded to save money, weight, or both.

Overall, though, these are minor issues that would never have stopped me from buying the CX-5.

Last edited:
I'm very unhappy about the wind buffeting with the rear windows down. It's beyond loud, it's actually painful, pounding ear drums. Has anyone talked to Mazda (dealer service or corporate) about this problem?

Also, I don't like that the driver's seat doesn't have a front-side tilt control like the back does (not talking about the reclining feature, but the entire seat tilting)

Not sure what you mean?
My GT allows the seat base to tilt forward to back (effectively change the angle of the cushion).

What else is required?

There are some vehicles that provide a separate tilt control for the front and back sides of the seat base, effectively allowing the angle to be changed from either the front or back. While one tilt control can provide the same effect, the dual control had the added benefit of allowing the entire height of the seat to be raised and lowered, independent of the chair's tilt. It may be obsolete now for safety reasons, but I've had a couple of older cars with that feature, and found that it allowed me to adjust the seat much more comfortably.

I'm very unhappy about the wind buffeting with the rear windows down. It's beyond loud, it's actually painful, pounding ear drums. Has anyone talked to Mazda (dealer service or corporate) about this problem?

Common problem with many aerodynamic cars in last decade or so, automakers have heard it before. Lexus owners call it "helicopter noise".

But the primary goal is best aerodynamics with all windows up. Most owners do not operate vehicle at speed with windows down.

Last edited:
minor complaints:

mirror vibration on drivers side, replacement mirror has worse vibration (confirmed by regional mazda rep who also said he noticed it some on pax side too, says they're going back to engineers about it)

horizontal dash trim piece is piano black, dust/smudge magnet... theres no other piano black accents in the car, why wasn't it made in brushed metal like the rest of the accents? (trim, wheel spoke, door handles, etc)

double down shift going up steep grades in cruise, scared the hell outta me the first couple times it happened

wish there was more voice control for audio system (playlist, artist/music mp3tag search etc) and full support for usb drives including standard .m3u playlists instead of just supporting those options for the white hoodie iCultists

major complaint:

nav system, specifically the voice control, then the watered down/lowest common denominator interface
it understands the 'fixed' commands ok, but any names such as street or poi's? forget about it...
many support calls/emails with tomtom, they first tried to tell me it was a problem with the 'speaker' in the car and it was mazdas problem(assuming he meant microphone), then another call they finally admitted something wasn't right, they're supposedly going back to the engineers in stockholm about the issue
the fact that it just automatically starts navigating to wherever it 'thinks' (which is invariably wrong) you want to go rather than giving you a list or options is very short sighted, sure saying 'drive to nearest coffee' is ok(assuming it understood what you said(eyeballs) ), but why not, 'list coffee' or 'find grocery store' then selecting from list arranged by distance? (all signs of rushed, unfinished software)
i will give it this though, the routes it picks are usually pretty decent, but thats about the only thing it does ok but even then it has problems, it tried to offer me an alternative in the middle of a long route because of traffic, but be cause of pop up arrangement, i couldn't click the button to view what the route differences were, and it went away with out giving me a chance to compare....
i dont understand the 'change route' option where it gives you little flags of distances? what does that do? it makes no sense, why not give you the route list and let you select specific roads or turns you want to avoid and make it re-route based on that, my old cheapo crappy mio from 5 years ago did that

i'll probably add more to my litany against tomtom later when i'm not as tired

There are some vehicles that provide a separate tilt control for the front and back sides of the seat base, effectively allowing the angle to be changed from either the front or back. While one tilt control can provide the same effect, the dual control had the added benefit of allowing the entire height of the seat to be raised and lowered, independent of the chair's tilt. It may be obsolete now for safety reasons, but I've had a couple of older cars with that feature, and found that it allowed me to adjust the seat much more comfortably.

I can change the angle of the seat on my GT as a whole, and it is independent of the height adjustment.
So I have have it high or low, angled forward or back. I think the control is completely fine. Lumbar support is excellent on the long trips.

The speedo and GPS will always bee different if every model of vehicle.

The speed by law has to be a small percentage *below* the actual speed. Typically this could be anywhere between 95% and 99% of the actual speed.
Presently GPS is very accurate for civilian use. The speed indicated on the GPS in clear view of the sky, and without interference has a confidence level of 95% to be within 2 metres of accurate. So 112 on your GPS is most likely to be 112 in actuality.

No issue with your speed. It is completely *normal* and completely *legal*.

Just for the record, President Clinton is responsible for bringing accuracy back to the GPS signal to civilians (and hence the world). Prior to then, intentional errors were added to the civilian band. This was in part to ensure that GPS units couldn't be used to allow extremists to launch and control rockets using the device. To get around that the civilian band has a speed restriction which causes it to lose signal at the speeds that would be reached by launching rockets.

Sources:
http://www.gps.gov/systems/gps/performance/accuracy/histogram.png
http://support.radioshack.com/support_tutorials/gps/gps_SA.htm

Yeah I see where you are coming from. But for me this is unacceptable. My 3GT was right on the nose. Where it becomes a problem is our photo radar system...at 10km over we are ok...at 13km over I'm getting a 150 dollar pic of my car in the mail. I shouldn't have to use the NAV system to tell me my actual speed. Surely they can make some sort of adjustment. I'll see what they tell at the dealer next week and report back. :)

Yeah I see where you are coming from. But for me this is unacceptable. My 3GT was right on the nose. Where it becomes a problem is our photo radar system...at 10km over we are ok...at 13km over I'm getting a 150 dollar pic of my car in the mail. I shouldn't have to use the NAV system to tell me my actual speed. Surely they can make some sort of adjustment. I'll see what they tell at the dealer next week and report back. :)

But if you are relying on your speedo, wouldn't you be slightly under the limit? Isn't this a good thing? A bit like setting your clock forward a couple of minutes so your always on time.

The wind buffeting is a normal issue in many newer cars. I believe it has to do with aerodynamics. Not sure though. You just need to tilt the sunroof to equalize pressure.

Picked Up white GT last Monday it is covered in Rust from train transport--in addition Roof is scratched pretty bad---so far not impressed with the dealer we bought the car from--otherwise we like the CX5.

Not sure how bad the roof is but the rust specs can be removed with a good claybar. The rust is normal for all new cars especially when transported by train. White just exposes the rust more than other colors.

I can change the angle of the seat on my GT as a whole, and it is independent of the height adjustment.
So I have have it high or low, angled forward or back. I think the control is completely fine. Lumbar support is excellent on the long trips.

Hmmm, maybe I need to take another look at mine...I was fairly certain that the height could not be adjusted separately from the angle. I do wish I had the lumbar support, though; the GT would have been worth the upgrade just for that. (bang)

I got a rattle from the speaker grill on the dashboard in the front driver side. Dealer confirmed it but Mazda would not authorize the repair. Deemed it Fit and Finish issue, like it was designed to be that way rather then manufacturing defect. I even provided 2-3 video recordings from my cell phone, I filed a complaint with Mazda but haven't received any feedback after couple weeks. Hoping to just fix it myself by putting in 3.5" speakers into the locations. My bet is that the temporary plastic part that in place of the factory speaker is just not screwed in well and is rattling with vibrations.

But if you are relying on your speedo, wouldn't you be slightly under the limit? Isn't this a good thing? A bit like setting your clock forward a couple of minutes so your always on time.

I agree with your reply.

In some (most? all?) countries the speedo must never read low. Most manufactures are between 3 mph to 5 mph over.

I agree with your reply.

In some (most? all?) countries the speedo must never read low. Most manufactures are between 3 mph to 5 mph over.

It looks like you may have not understood what I was saying. Basically my speedo says I'm going only 120 but in reality I'm going 123. You guys are talking about if my speedo read 120 and I would be going 117, which would not bother me as much. No big deal I will see what they say when I bring it in for the command start install next week.

I believe the standard is +/- 5% for the spedo to be within spec. Your at about 2.5% out of true so there is technically nothing wrong.

It looks like you may have not understood what I was saying. Basically my speedo says I'm going only 120 but in reality I'm going 123. You guys are talking about if my speedo read 120 and I would be going 117, which would not bother me as much. No big deal I will see what they say when I bring it in for the command start install next week.

Sorry, I got you the wrong way around. That is a potentially costly problem.

Back