30,000 Mile Maintenance Quote

Pretty much every one of those things is supposed to be done for free as part of the Full Circle Service inspection that most Mazda dealers do whenever a vehicle visits the service dept. Maybe this dealer isn't part of that program? You should ask them. It might be worth finding a dealer in your area that participates in the program.

How many miles have you put on it since you bought it? Was it a Certified Pre-Owned CX5?

Thanks, I've put about 4k miles on it since purchase. It wasn't certified pre-owned since I bought it at a non-Mazda dealer but it still had 5 or 6 months on the original manufacturer's warranty when I purchased. I will ask about the Full Circle Service inspection, thanks.

Dealers are desperate to get you into service department.
Just had our '14 Mazda3 oil changed (synthetic) and tires rotated for $69.99 + free full-circle inspection. (outrageous price in SF Bay Area, normally discounted at $99.99 with MSRP @$129.99).
They found dirty air filter and cabin filter.
I told them: "I will do it myself. Thank you."
They even auto-washed the car. Appreciated. :)

To OP: never do the XY-k mile services.
A money making strategy of dealers to lighten your wallet.

Thanks Ceric. I am in the Bay Area too, good to see you've found a dealer that seems to be more reasonable that what I've been quoted.

How is it harder to get to? It's literally right there, one single plug that has to be removed.

You do have to move the air box out of the way to check the level, but that is the same level of difficulty as changing an engine oil filter. Hence why I say it's the same level of difficulty.
Just noticed the reply. You need the airbox out of the way, with the engine running, and at a particular temperature that isn't an equilibrium temperature.

You need to fill at a recessed location with airbox out of the way.

Thanks, I've put about 4k miles on it since purchase. It wasn't certified pre-owned since I bought it at a non-Mazda dealer but it still had 5 or 6 months on the original manufacturer's warranty when I purchased. I will ask about the Full Circle Service inspection, thanks.
Keep in mind that Mazda states "every time you bring in your Mazda for service, we'll give it a Mazda Full Circle Service inspection at no charge", it's not a "hey, I'd like to drop off my car for that free inspection thing"

Also, as previously mentioned, they are doing it for their benefit, not yours. Almost guaranteed you'll end up with a "okay, as long as I'm already here you can go ahead and lubricate my muffler bearings and adjust my end link potentiometer"

Keep in mind that Mazda states "every time you bring in your Mazda for service, we'll give it a Mazda Full Circle Service inspection at no charge", it's not a "hey, I'd like to drop off my car for that free inspection thing"

Also, as previously mentioned, they are doing it for their benefit, not yours. Almost guaranteed you'll end up with a "okay, as long as I'm already here you can go ahead and lubricate my muffler bearings and adjust my end link potentiometer"
Don't forget the free blinker fluid!

For now, Mazda's Service Schedule doesn't specify an ATF fluid change interval, so changing the fluid shouldn't have any effect on the Powertrain warranty. Thus, changing the fluid is strictly personal preference, at least as far as Mazda's warranty coverage goes. Beyond that, change it when you want to change it.
+1 (y)

Just noticed the reply. You need the airbox out of the way, with the engine running, and at a particular temperature that isn't an equilibrium temperature.

You need to fill at a recessed location with airbox out of the way.
And on the gen 2 NA, there is a metal bracket that blocks the air box from being pulled out easy. The bracket has some flex to it but not enough to get the airbox out. The bracket has to be taken apart.

They basically quotes you $400 for an oil change and tire rotation.

Yeah, no.

At 30k, I would definitely do a drain and fill on the ATF. It's the identical level of difficulty as an engine oil change, so there's no excuse not to.
Technically you are right in terms of the actual draining and filling, but the measuring of ATF level can be tricky. Mine was low from factory as were many others who reported the same on here. The first drain/fill is definitely not as easy as just replacing same volume drained.

Technically you are right in terms of the actual draining and filling, but the measuring of ATF level can be tricky. Mine was low from factory as were many others who reported the same on here. The first drain/fill is definitely not as easy as just replacing same volume drained.
Yeah, I consider getting the level correct as part of "fill", and an iterative process that involves measuring the level and adjusting as necessary. Hence my original response regarding its relative difficulty compared to a engine oil change.

This thread from a few months ago has been helpful!

My local (Seattle area) dealer wants $525 for "30,000 mile" service on my 2018 CX-5 (31,000 miles). I changed both the engine air filter and cabin filter 3 months ago and the wiper blades 6 months ago. I am very much leaning toward having them just change the oil and filter and maybe the lock and hinge lubrication? Last time I had the oil changed, the technician did the "complimentary multipoint inspection," as mentioned above, that seemed to cover almost all of the items below. I bought the vehicle more than 36 months ago and am out of warranty.

This is what the dealer promises to do for the $525:
  • Up to 5 quarts synthetic oil
  • Inspect tire inflation pressure and tire wear
  • Rotate tires
  • Replace engine air filter
  • Replace wiper blades/inserts
  • Service battery and replace battery pads
  • Lubricate all locks and hinges
  • Inspect battery and check performance
  • Inspect brake fluid level
  • Inspect brake lines, hoses and connections
  • Inspect brake pads, shoes, rotors, drums, brake lines and hoses, and parking brake
  • Inspect disc brakes
  • Inspect drive belts
  • Inspect engine coolant level
  • Inspect exhaust system and heat shields
  • Inspect for oil and any other fluid leaks
  • Inspect front and rear suspension ball joints
  • Inspect front and rear suspension, ball joints and wheel bearing axial play
  • Inspect fuel lines and hoses
  • Inspect power steering fluid level

$525 is a scam.
The 1st three items are covered by minor service (i.e. oil change+tire rotation). In my case, $69.99. The 2nd three items can be easily DIY. Part cost is less than $100 total. Lubricate locks and hinges? If the car is newer, there is no need. The rest are covered under full circle inspection. In summary, they cost less than $200.
$300+ of pure profit.

That is why never buy into the XYk mile service deals.

My local (Seattle area) dealer wants $525 for "30,000 mile" service on my 2018 CX-5 (31,000 miles). I changed both the engine air filter and cabin filter 3 months ago and the wiper blades 6 months ago. I am very much leaning toward having them just change the oil and filter and maybe the lock and hinge lubrication? Last time I had the oil changed, the technician did the "complimentary multipoint inspection," as mentioned above, that seemed to cover almost all of the items below. I bought the vehicle more than 36 months ago and am out of warranty.

• Rotate tires
  • Inspect brake pads, shoes, rotors, drums, brake lines and hoses, and parking brake
  • Inspect disc brakes
  • Inspect drive belts
$525?!?? For that?!?! RIPOFF.

That's all stuff you are supposed to do on literally *every* oil change anyway! They aren't doing one SINGLE thing extra!

I do all of my own work, but this absolutely covered as part of any normal service.

As far as the lock lubrication, go to your local auto parts store and buy a $5 can of Lithium Grease. Using the straw, spray it into your locks and hinges. There: done.

• Rotate tires
  • Inspect disc brakes
  • Inspect drive belts
almost everything on that list is included in the free 'full circle' inspection that almost all Mazda dealers do whenever you take your car in for anything. btw, your CX5 doesn't have power steering fluid for them to inspect.
Just tell them to change the oil and rotate the tires.

Last edited:
Service battery and replace battery pads
What kind of battery does yours have???

How often does the manual recommend changing 'battery pads'?

How do you service the battery and it that recommended in the manual?

If my doctor recommended a bunch of phoney tests not only would I refuse but I would have to find another doctor.

I know what they mean by "battery pads". $1.99 at any auto parts store. The jury is still out on whether or not they actually do anything useful.

1636311242432.png

• Rotate tires
  • Inspect disc brakes
  • Inspect drive belts
Mazda has a thing called "Full Service Report Card". It's a long check list of inspections that are performed free with an oil change. All of those "Inspect" items and then some are included. It's similar to the check lists I've seen from dealers of other makes and service center chains that are done for free with oil changes. Many of those inspections are just a quick visual check for anything obvious.

As for the other stuff, prices vary by prevailing wages from location to location, but typically a synthetic oil change and rotation runs $70 - $100.

A dealer will typically nick you on the engine filter, cabin filter and wiper blades, maybe $40 - $45 or more for each of those services probably layering in 2/10 or 1/4 hour of labor for each. You can cut those costs about in half doing it yourself.

Many dealers of various makes offer these high priced xx,xxx mileage packages which amount to peace of mind for the clueless.

Last edited by a moderator:
My local indy garage that uses only certified mechanics just did my 30,000 mile service with my supplied oil filter, using full synthetic 5W30 oil for $69 including a copy of the inspections done with tire tread and brake pad measurements. Hard to argue with that. It took an hour and a half. $525 is over the top.

• Rotate tires
  • Inspect disc brakes
  • Inspect drive belts
Wow, what a scam.
All I see on this list is the word "inspect", which means nothing more than look at it for ten seconds, and then try to con the customer into getting unnecessary work done.

It's an oil change and tire rotation, nothing more. The rest is pure profit for no actual work done. Also, as someone mentioned earlier: inspect power steering fluid? Really? Good luck with that.

Don't fall for it. Go somewhere else if this dealer still tries to push you on any of this stuff.
If you do get the oil change there, be aware that they might still try and con you by insisting that they found a (non existent) problem while under the vehicle, that of course needs to be rectified right away (at great cost). I can see it coming.

Back