30,000 Mile Maintenance Quote

Hi everyone. First post here and happy to be part of the CX-5 family!

I bought a 2017 CX-5 Grand Touring at the end of last year and I'm due for my oil change. However, I've got ~27k miles so the dealership is suggesting that I go ahead and do the following maintenance items and quoted me almost $400 for this work. I am moderately handy but don't really have any experience working on cars, and am wondering what on this list are things I can do relatively easily myself. I would note that I take the word "inspect" to mean exactly that (and assume that and work resulting from a "inspect" would be additional cost.

Probably Cant Do Myself?
Rotate tires
Replace engine oil and filter
Inspect brake fluid level
Inspect disc brakes
Inspect drive belts

Probably Can Do Myself?
Replace cabin air filter
Inspect function of all lights
Inspect tire inflation pressure and tire wear
Inspect washer fluid level
Inspect engine coolant level
Lubricate all locks and hinges (probably superfluous?)

Thanks for your thoughts!

They have these spray cans of stuff like silicone lube and white lithium with the little red tubes.

Lubing the door hinges, etc, could be helpful depending on your climate.

You could do the oil change but rotating the tires is a lot of work. With your mileage you might as well wait and get them rotated when you get new tires. A lot of cx5s seem to need a new set around 30k to 40k miles.

Rotate tires- $30
Replace engine oil and filter- $60
Inspect brake fluid level- $10
Inspect disc brakes- $10
Inspect drive belts- $10

Replace cabin air filter- $10
Inspect function of all lights- $5
Inspect tire inflation pressure and tire wear- $10
Inspect washer fluid level- $5
Inspect engine coolant level- $5
Lubricate all locks and hinges (probably superfluous?)- $10

So about $165. That was the complete list? Did they say replace brake fluid? After they do the inspection they most likely would find more things wrong to fix.

Rotate tires- $30
Inspect disc brakes- $10
Inspect drive belts- $10

So about $165. That was the complete list? Did they say replace brake fluid? After they do the inspection they most likely would find more things wrong to fix.

My dealer does all the above for $99 regular price, including fluid top up. So far I’ve skipped the rotation and gotten the rest for $79 (I get free rotation at Discount Tire and the 5k miles intervals aren’t synced anyway)

Definitely do the cabin air filter yourself. I’m mechanically helpless and can do that one myself lol. The filters are ~$10 and it takes 2 minutes. My dealer charges $50 for parts & labor. No thanks. Fool me once…

Some of those inspections can be done with instructions from the manual.

$10 to look at the brake fluid level? How many seconds can that take?

There is a web site with easy to follow instructions for this kind of stuff. I don't have the shortcut here, I think it might be cx5.org ?

All of the maintenance described is doable at home, depending on what facilities you have at 'home'. If all the cars I've ever owned, I think cx5 is the easiest to maintain.

They basically quotes you $400 for an oil change and tire rotation.

Yeah, no.

At 30k, I would definitely do a drain and fill on the ATF. It's the identical level of difficulty as an engine oil change, so there's no excuse not to.
Not true. Its harder to get to, and is to be measured with the engine running at a certain temperature.

Not a big deal, but more involved than an oil change. And OP doesn't feel qualified to do an oil change.

Not true. Its harder to get to, and is to be measured with the engine running at a certain temperature.

Not a big deal, but more involved than an oil change. And OP doesn't feel qualified to do an oil change.
How is it harder to get to? It's literally right there, one single plug that has to be removed.

You do have to move the air box out of the way to check the level, but that is the same level of difficulty as changing an engine oil filter. Hence why I say it's the same level of difficulty.

Even if he has to pay someone to do a drain and fill on the ATF, it should still be done every 30k, and the cost should be the same as a regular oil change.

Never did a 30k, 60k, 90k mile service. Never had a 'lack of service' repair in 40 years. Fix things as they break or when needed. - and in the rare cases when you do, it will never match the $1,000's that you pay in service maint. over 100,000 miles No need to pay for "inspection" items. Fluid changes when necessary, free lifetime tire rotation at Discount Tire With purchase.

If you're really worried about that worn/dry/hard hose or belt, go to a good independent shop and pay $100 for what would be the equivalent of a pre-purchase inspection, then fix what is needed

Last edited:
I just had oil service/inspection done on my 16.5 GT at a Mazda dealership near me and I was $69 out the door which includes full synthetic oil (0W20). $12 off special going on. The inspection list was longer than yours. I don't have them rotate my tires as I have a package with DT that includes rotation along with balancing. They didn't replace the cabin filter. I do change that and the engine air filter myself, which is easy to do.

I did have a rear differential service they recommended at about 35k and that was $104. Same dealership.

Last edited:
Rotate tires- $30
Inspect disc brakes- $10
Inspect drive belts- $10

Sorry, but this is just a money grab, a rip off, plain and simple.
I just had an oil change last week, and everything on your list was done (except the tire rotation. Did not need it), for free as part of the oil change.

Even if he has to pay someone to do a drain and fill on the ATF, it should still be done every 30k, and the cost should be the same as a regular oil change.
Based on what data?
Changing ATF tends to be a personal choice more than anything, and nowhere in a Mazda user manual (or any other make) does it say it needs to be changed every 30K.
The average fluid change interval for most owners tends to happen between 60K to 100K.
Most car manufacturers now say the tranny fluid is a lifetime thing.
Personally, after 50 years of driving automatics, I don't do it. Especially a flush. Bad bad.
The only time I ever got a transmission flush (on a Ford), the tranny failed a few weeks later. Never again.
Also, there is one constant theme running throughout every blog and post that I've read regarding fluid changes: if your vehicle is high mileage (over 120,000 miles) and it has never had a tranny fluid change...don't do it. Google it to find out why it's not recommended.
Cheers everyone.

P.S. 2002 Nissan Pathfinder in my driveway, 330,000 kms, original drivetrain and fluids. Runs great.

The list looks to me as the one for regular oil change and tire rotation - typically about $100 at dealer, plus cabin air filter replacement, $40-50 at dealer. You can buy good cabin air filter for under $20 and replace it yourself - it's super trivial.

For $400 I would expect to see more items in the list? - like brake fluid replacement ~$120 ? Maybe Fuel/Air Induction Service ~$200 ? AT service $160-180, though I have seen it recommended at closer to 50k service.

People typically underestimate the importance and the value of a good inspection, especially on newer cars. Why there should be anything wrong with the newer car - right? It is like annual physical people get . I'm paying to independent mechanic $30 once a year to check that the susspension is tight, the brakes are in good working order and quick overall look - that's enough for safe and trouble free road trip and DD.

The only time I ever got a transmission flush (on a Ford), the tranny failed a few weeks later. Never again.

I know someone who knew someone who died 2 months after getting the flu shot, that's why I don't get the flu shot - ever
B) Also, there is one constant theme running throughout every blog and post that I've read regarding fluid changes: if your vehicle is high mileage (over 120,000 miles) and it has never had a tranny fluid change...don't do it. Google it to find out why it's not recommended.
Also google "myth" with regard to this. The fact is that those anecdotal stories are usually involving people who got the tranny fluid changed after already having trans fluid.

For every google entry there is about 'don't do this' there's at least one entry about why 'don't do this' is a myth. Go ahead, goggle 'myth transmission fluid change'.

The list looks to me as the one for regular oil change and tire rotation - typically about $100 at dealer, plus cabin air filter replacement, $40-50 at dealer. You can buy good cabin air filter for under $20 and replace it yourself - it's super trivial.

For $400 I would expect to see more items in the list? - like brake fluid replacement ~$120 ? Maybe Fuel/Air Induction Service ~$200 ? AT service $160-180, though I have seen it recommended at closer to 50k service.

People typically underestimate the importance and the value of a good inspection, especially on newer cars. Why there should be anything wrong with the newer car - right? It is like annual physical people get . I'm paying to independent mechanic $30 once a year to check that the susspension is tight, the brakes are in good working order and quick overall look - that's enough for safe and trouble free road trip and DD.
I'd feel a lot better about paying for the inspections if they provided video, or allowed me to watch the techs. I frankly don't believe that all of the alleged inspections actually take place, and have had cases where what they've indicated is not true.

Based on what data?
Based on the fact that ALL oils break down! There is literally no such thing as a lifetime oil. Ask any Petroleum Engineer or Chemist. And you've never once seen a car's owner's manual give an ATF replacement schedule? Then you've not owned very many cars. I've owned about 30, all different makes and models, and most did in fact call out an ATF replacement schedule.

a 2017 CX-5 Grand Touring at the end of last year and I'm due for my oil change. However, I've got ~27k miles I am moderately handy ...
This car was purchased recently. A dealer should have checked this stuff, and maybe supplied maintenance records?

I'd feel a lot better about paying for the inspections if they provided video, or allowed me to watch the techs. I frankly don't believe that all of the alleged inspections actually take place, and have had cases where what they've indicated is not true.
My Acura dealership does this! I had gone in to have a plastic trim piece replaced under warranty and they sent me a link to a video of the vehicle safety inspection. They did this for free and without my request. I had no other services done on the car besides that trim piece being replaced.

I just checked the link they had sent me from December and the video is still available for my records. Nice touch!

Attachments

• Service Video.jpg
    Service Video.jpg
    34.5 KB · Views: 135
STUPID expensive! Everything but the brake inspection comes with an oil change around here and a brake inspection is free with a tire rotation.

Back