30,000 Mile Maintenance Quote

My Acura dealership does this! I had gone in to have a plastic trim piece replaced under warranty and they sent me a link to a video of the vehicle safety inspection. They did this for free and without my request. I had no other services done on the car besides that trim piece being replaced.

I just checked the link they had sent me from December and the video is still available for my records. Nice touch!
My dealer supposedly does this now too. I only go to them for recall/warranty, to get the Android Auto upgrade, and for an OEM tire because Discount Tire would have to order it.

But I am curious about it.

I prefer to do things myself if I can. I know what was done, the condition, and I learn stuff.

Based on the fact that ALL oils break down! There is literally no such thing as a lifetime oil. Ask any Petroleum Engineer or Chemist. And you've never once seen a car's owner's manual give an ATF replacement schedule? Then you've not owned very many cars. I've owned about 30, all different makes and models, and most did in fact call out an ATF replacement schedule.
Like I said, this is all a matter of personal preference. There is no consistent direction between car manufacturers that I've ever seen regarding this procedure. Lowest recommended interval I've seen is around 40,000-60,000 miles. Highest was around 120,000 miles, and everything in between.
Show me one owners manual where it says you have to do a transmission oil change at 30K miles. I'd love to see it.
At the end of the day, you change yours at 30K miles. If it works for you, then wonderful. I don't and I won't. We're both happy.
Fyi, I've owned and driven a ton of cars. I'm not some 20 year old newbie.

I know someone who knew someone who died 2 months after getting the flu shot, that's why I don't get the flu shot - ever

Also google "myth" with regard to this. The fact is that those anecdotal stories are usually involving people who got the tranny fluid changed after already having trans fluid.

For every google entry there is about 'don't do this' there's at least one entry about why 'don't do this' is a myth. Go ahead, goggle 'myth transmission fluid change'.
One "myth" that seems to have a lot of truth to it is to avoid these transmission flush machines.
Unfortunately, I was a much younger and gullible driver when I got talked into flushing the tranny on my Ford van. Never again.
If I were to replace the ATF in any of my vehicles at any point in the future, I'd do a drain and fill.

(I got the vaccine btw. I'm still breathing lol.)

Show me one owners manual where it says you have to do a transmission oil change at 30K miles. I'd love to see it.

Honda is 37,500. That's hard to remember, but 30/60/90 etc. is easy.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20210527-231449.png
    Screenshot_20210527-231449.png
    14.8 KB · Views: 128
Ford is 30,000. I can keep going, but I think you get the point.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20210527-231825.png
    Screenshot_20210527-231825.png
    15.7 KB · Views: 128
Pretty much every one of those things is supposed to be done for free as part of the Full Circle Service inspection that most Mazda dealers do whenever a vehicle visits the service dept. Maybe this dealer isn't part of that program? You should ask them. It might be worth finding a dealer in your area that participates in the program.

How many miles have you put on it since you bought it? Was it a Certified Pre-Owned CX5?

242ef2cdd21bc65ed22a9e3af77eaa47x.jpg

ATF lifespan and replacement interval is defined by the ATF manufacture depending mostly on the base oil used. For example:

Replacement interval is 120-150k miles for modern ATF and normal driving conditions. That IS a "life time" for most cars given that you can stretch it by 50% without too many cases of failure - resulting to something like 200k.

Most people prefer to follow the "severe conditions" schedule, which is in the 45-60k range for the modern ATF. Gives them better sleep.

I pulled a sample at 42k and sent it for analysis together with new ATF FZ - used condition was very closed to the new condition and the ware metals were 6-7 times less than what I've seen on older age factory DEXRON III with 130k miles.

Operating temperature of the skyactiv AT is reasonably low. I drove with a scanner hooked up for some time - the stop and go traffic and climbing the Rockies is not what gets this transmission hot. Driving at higher speed on the highway is what brings up the temperature the most - and that's 6-7 degree F in the summer - nothing extreme. That's not "severe conditions" at any time (no towing).

So one drain/fill (45%) when changing the spark plugs(75k) is plenty and gives you the best of both worlds

3 quarts of Mazda Type FZ is $30 every 30,000 miles, and the drain and fill is extremely simple.

Why even argue against it?

ATF lifespan and replacement interval is defined by the ATF manufacture depending mostly on the base oil used. For example:

Replacement interval is 120-150k miles for modern ATF and normal driving conditions. That IS a "life time" for most cars given that you can stretch it by 50% without too many cases of failure - resulting to something like 200k.

Most people prefer to follow the "severe conditions" schedule, which is in the 45-60k range for the modern ATF. Gives them better sleep.

I pulled a sample at 42k and sent it for analysis together with new ATF FZ - used condition was very closed to the new condition and the ware metals were 6-7 times less than what I've seen on older age factory DEXRON III with 130k miles.

Operating temperature of the skyactiv AT is reasonably low. I drove with a scanner hooked up for some time - the stop and go traffic and climbing the Rockies is not what gets this transmission hot. Driving at higher speed on the highway is what brings up the temperature the most - and that's 6-7 degree F in the summer - nothing extreme. That's not "severe conditions" at any time (no towing).

So one drain/fill (45%) when changing the spark plugs(75k) is plenty and gives you the best of both worlds

Hi @Dzo20, thanks for providing your experience. Any chance you could post the oil analysis reports here?

This thread is starting to go off topic, so I may break out the ATF posts and move them into a new thread, especially since the OP didn't mention ATF in the initial post.

For now, Mazda's Service Schedule doesn't specify an ATF fluid change interval, so changing the fluid shouldn't have any effect on the Powertrain warranty. Thus, changing the fluid is strictly personal preference, at least as far as Mazda's warranty coverage goes. Beyond that, change it when you want to change it.

Dealers are desperate to get you into service department.
Just had our '14 Mazda3 oil changed (synthetic) and tires rotated for $69.99 + free full-circle inspection. (outrageous price in SF Bay Area, normally discounted at $99.99 with MSRP @$129.99).
They found dirty air filter and cabin filter.
I told them: "I will do it myself. Thank you."
They even auto-washed the car. Appreciated. :)

To OP: never do the XY-k mile services.
A money making strategy of dealers to lighten your wallet.

Last edited:
Actually, thanks reminding me. I have to keep that in mind - I have an appointment Tuesday for my 1st/complimentary oil change

Hi @Dzo20, thanks for providing your experience. Any chance you could post the oil analysis reports here?
Here is the more difficult to find VOA ATF FZ
There are many UOA ATF FZ in this forum for comparison

My MAZDA dealer frequently offers a free safety inspection and that includes all fluid levels except the AT.

My MAZDA dealer frequently offers a free safety inspection and that includes all fluid levels except the AT.
They're not doing it because they're customer oriented. Trust me, by the time you've reached 30k miles his free safety inspections will have found $100's of dollars of item that he *strongly suggests* getting fixed, and what a coincidence, he can get you in now. Starting with a $69 oil change and $30 tire rotation.

I would recommend checking the caliper guide pins (and greasing them).

It's not hard but you have to remove the tires. Everything else on the list should be easy.

Back