2021 CX-9 Burning oil

Actually, our CX-9 at close to 45K miles seems to be dong better, but not sure if it is because they are overfilling (going to dealer). ...
Anyone who wants to do accurate and meaningful oil consumption monitoring needs to check the oil, and make a note of the level, immediately after an oil change is done. This is actually something that should be done by everyone anyway, but very few owners ever do it.

And after that initial check, regular level checks every 500K miles or so will result in a completely reliable history of how much oil is being consumed. And if topping off is required, check the oil again after adding oil, in order to record the new, higher level. Just remember to always wait 5 minutes or longer after the engine is shut down, before checking the oil level.

Anyone who wants to do accurate and meaningful oil consumption monitoring needs to check the oil, and make a note of the level, immediately after an oil change is done. This is actually something that should be done by everyone anyway, but very few owners ever do it.

And after that initial check, regular level checks every 500K miles or so will result in a completely reliable history of how much oil is being consumed. And if topping off is required, check the oil again after adding oil, in order to record the new, higher level. Just remember to always wait 5 minutes or longer after the engine is shut down, before checking the oil level.

Like this? Been there and done that.
Oil level CX-9.jpg

Like this? Been there and done that. ...

Yes, that's the type of checking and recordkeeping I'm talking about, but what you posted is really strange IMO. According to the dates on those pics, your vehicle travelled 4300 miles with virtually no oil loss, but then somehow lost around half a quart in just 700 miles and 5 days. Has that oil loss pattern been consistent for as long as you've been monitoring oil consumption on this vehicle? And does the other 2021 have a similar pattern of consuming oil?

Yes, that's the type of checking and recordkeeping I'm talking about, but what you posted is really strange IMO. According to the dates on those pics, your vehicle travelled 4300 miles with virtually no oil loss, but then somehow lost around half a quart in just 700 miles and 5 days. Has that oil loss pattern been consistent for as long as you've been monitoring oil consumption on this vehicle? And does the other 2021 have a similar pattern of consuming oil?

This is something I have noticed with that CX-9 and the CX-5. The oil loss is not linear and is associated with long trips. It goes really fast after 4500 miles.

This is something I have noticed with that CX-9 and the CX-5. The oil loss is not linear and is associated with long trips. It goes really fast after 4500 miles.
I can't come up with any logical reason to explain the oil consumption pattern that you've discovered - very puzzling indeed. It would be interesting if another 2021 turbo owner has done the same monitoring that you did, in order to see if their vehicle's consumption pattern is similar to your two.

At this point it's become a good bet that Mazda is going to begin making repairs on these 2021 oil consumers, starting sometime in October. Have you decided yet if you're going to be ok with your dealership doing fairly significant engine work on one or both of your vehicles? The one remaining big question is what oil consumption level Mazda selects to be the 'trip' point for approving the repair for any given vehicle. The monitoring you've already done will help you determine if your vehicles are currently likely to be approved for this repair or not. And, if they do meet Mazda's consumption criteria for approving the repair, then it will be your call whether or not to go after it.

I can't come up with any logical reason to explain the oil consumption pattern that you've discovered - very puzzling indeed. It would be interesting if another 2021 turbo owner has done the same monitoring that you did, in order to see if their vehicle's consumption pattern is similar to your two.

At this point it's become a good bet that Mazda is going to begin making repairs on these 2021 oil consumers, starting sometime in October. Have you decided yet if you're going to be ok with your dealership doing fairly significant engine work on one or both of your vehicles? The one remaining big question is what oil consumption level Mazda selects to be the 'trip' point for approving the repair for any given vehicle. The monitoring you've already done will help you determine if your vehicles are currently likely to be approved for this repair or not. And, if they do meet Mazda's consumption criteria for approving the repair, then it will be your call whether or not to go after it.

I actually have three cars that have this issue, a 2021 CX-9, a 2021 CX-5 and a 2021 Mazda 3. I have purchased five Mazda's from my local dealer in the last three years, and sent them 2 other people to buy Mazdas, so I am expecting them to take care of me. And they have indicated they will.

1662937729402.png

The oil can be too clear to be seen easily on the dip stick. Try laying it alongside a clean white paper towel and let them touch so the oil wicks into the towel. The line between oil & no-oil will show up well.

More oil consumption on a long trip can be that the oil gets warmer and is thus thinner for more leakage past the seals. Or at higher load on the engine there is more pressure in the combustion chamber thus forcing oil past the piston rings. Or a combination of ingredients.

I came across this thread because my 2021 CX9 (turbo) burned a quart of oil between 5k and 9k miles. I called my local Mazda dealer today. The technician said there is a valve stem issue, and they are just waiting on the details from corporate before announcing it to their customers. Until then, just monitor the oil level to keep it topped off.

I came across this thread because my 2021 CX9 (turbo) burned a quart of oil between 5k and 9k miles. I called my local Mazda dealer today. The technician said there is a valve stem issue, and they are just waiting on the details from corporate before announcing it to their customers. Until then, just monitor the oil level to keep it topped off.
Finally a Mazda technician who is not stupid!

THREE of them:oops: Hard to imagine one person having that much bad luck buying automobiles.

Yeah, I picked a bad time to upgrade my cars! Except for this one issues, they have been good (knock on wood!).

One of my Mazda's is a 2021 6 turbo. I have the dealer change the oil every 5k miles. At the first oil change there was no consumption. It just hit 10k miles and at this oil change the oil was at the bottom of the dipstick, last time it was still full. My dealer acknowledged the issue and stated they are waiting on an action plan from Mazda.

Hopefully my 2022 CX-9 doesn't start to have this issue. My 2017 CX-9 never had any issues, I only sold it due to the potential of a weak head to turbo attachment.

The "oil burn" due to a "valve stem seal modification" TSB that is posted in this thread is dated Oct 2021 vin 541071 and prior. (Also only applies to CX9s made prior to sept 14, 2021.) So it does not apply to my 2022 CX9. But I have no idea why. At least with the cracked head TSB it says modification or redesigns have been done to the head and exhaust gasket. Anybody know if there is anymore info on why post TSB CX9s dont apply? Anybody know if the Oct21 TSB has been superceded? Was the fix reversing the "valve seal mod" to the way it was before? Was it a valve seal vender who sold them garbage valve seals? Be nice to know if they fixed the issue. My 2022 has 3200 miles on it so I am REALLY curious.

Hawke, would you mind sharing a link to this tsb or host the file to download so we can all read it over and decide if we want to have this done now or at a later time or not at all?

Here you go.
Thanks! This is very complex, I won't feel comfortable doing it at the dealership. I will continue to top it off and return the car at lease end(thanks god I did not buy it). Maybe if I get good price at Carmax I will get out of it early and lease a new one. However, problem is the 2023 CX-9 GT is like $60 a month more + $2500K upfront. so in total it would be around $4K more than my current 2021 CX-9 GT

Interesting tidbit from the TSB:
1665097435753.png

Yes, that definitely gives us a big clue on how Mazda feels about the complexity and difficulty of this procedure. Very happy to not be an owner of one of these oil burners, and would not want to be at the front of the queue to have this work done if I did own one of them.

And right below that statement in the TSB is potentially another unpleasant bit of information for owners, where they list 4.4 hours of labor. I only have a DIY, non-professional background, however it's hard to believe that even the best pro tech can come close to successfully completing this repair in that amount of time. There are so many individual steps in this procedure, which all need to be repeated for eight valves, by human hands and brains which don't operate at robotic speed.

So IMO, the techs who do this repair will feel ripped off being paid for 4.4 hours, when it's actually taking them quite a bit longer to complete the work. And the last thing an owner wants is a pi$$ed off tech doing a complex job on their vehicle, which has numerous possible points of failure for any lapse in attention to detail.

Mazda spent a year (and lots of $$) developing this repair procedure and associated set of SSTs, and then they cheap-out in the worst possible place by underpaying the people who are actually doing the work. Just plain dumb IMO.

Back