2021 CX-9 Burning oil

Are most people noting that the problem is solved after the seals are replaced and are dealers / Mazda readily doing the fix?
I brought my 21 CX-9 in last November after 2 documented trips to the dealer with the low oil light (and confirmed on the dipstick). I showed them the TSB, but they were not ready to do replacements at that time, so I scheduled in December. When I returned, Mazda NA advised them NOT to do seal replacement. I complained directly to them. They advised the dealer to change out the oil sensor. Here I am less than a year later with the low oil light on again (about ~4,000 miles into oil change cycle). Just wondering what the best path is to get this thing corrected while I'm still under warranty. Thanks!
Did you document setting the ,p0250 code?

Thanks @ctbale and @edmaz I was wondering if they maybe wriggled out of doing the job because the code was not actively set when I showed up at the dealer and maybe they cleared it.

Just pulled my receipts and the repair order from last November states "upon diagnosis found etc p250f refer to tsb 11-011/22" but when I returned in December to do the job, the RO states "no codes were stored" - so it looks like their willingness to do it might be dependent on the code being set or stored recently.

Last edited:
Thanks @ctbale and @edmaz I was wondering if they maybe wriggled out of doing the job because the code was not actively set when I showed up at the dealer and maybe they cleared it.

Just pulled my receipts and the repair order from last November states "upon diagnosis found etc p250f refer to tsb 11-011/22" but when I returned in December to do the job, the RO states "no codes were stored" - so it looks like their willingness to do it might be dependent on the code being set or stored recently.
On that topic, do we know how long codes are stored? It went off 2x yesterday and am wondering if it'll be in the computer when I show up Monday.

They will be there. Mazda has a very very thorough code setting program. Its there. Plus you have it in black and white. If you read the TSB, that satisfied the requirement for the seal replacement. I must be missing something because sounds like its a done deal.

Whew, thanks for the guidance. The service advisor seemed skeptical because the light was not on when I literally arrived, but the master tech took a look at the stored codes -found p250f- and recommended doing the replacement per the TSB. Hope to have this all sorted in a few days.

Yes I am. Car's at the dealer this week, but the exhaust tips are pretty black/sooty.

So are mine, but I don't have oil consumption issues with my 2018. The way the exhaust tips look is not a direct indicator of anything other than the car being driven normally, IMO.

My tips are perfectly clean cuz I keep it in sport mode and have the pedal to the floor every chance I get. Ok, not true but these engines really don't like to be babied. Drive it like it's a rental!!!

If that was my car, after the seal replacement I would put a few heat cycles on that engine to be sure everything is good then I would wring the living s*** out of that motor for several days to clean it out. Do the Italian Tune Up if you will. A year of excessive oil going thru the combustion chamber and exhaust had to have left it's mark.

That's really frustrating... Honestly, are you able to get them to buy the car back at a fair value and get into the CX-90? At this point, maybe that is the only option to keep you whole?

Failing that, sell and move onto something else. That problem will only get worse...

Are you prepared to keep the car long term if they manage to 'fix' the issue?
Hey so I have been talking with Mazda corporate and they haven’t been super helpful. Essentially their offer to me was to cover one month’s car payment, which is frankly not enough.

They also said I could speak to my dealership and see what they would be willing to do, Mazda would authorize employee pricing for me. Other option is to lemon law it as it has been in the shop for 30+ days and I have documented this issue from my second oil change.

I think I was hoping that Mazda would meet me in the middle but that doesn’t seem to be the case. For what it’s worth the shop foreman/service manager at my dealership has been amazing trying to find solutions for me. He’s supposed to speak to his district manager and get back to me. We shall see. I don’t really love the idea of getting back into debt on another car (this one is not fully paid off) but if the offer is attractive enough I could maybe be convinced.

Hey so I have been talking with Mazda corporate and they haven’t been super helpful. Essentially their offer to me was to cover one month’s car payment, which is frankly not enough.

They also said I could speak to my dealership and see what they would be willing to do, Mazda would authorize employee pricing for me. Other option is to lemon law it as it has been in the shop for 30+ days and I have documented this issue from my second oil change.

I think I was hoping that Mazda would meet me in the middle but that doesn’t seem to be the case. For what it’s worth the shop foreman/service manager at my dealership has been amazing trying to find solutions for me. He’s supposed to speak to his district manager and get back to me. We shall see. I don’t really love the idea of getting back into debt on another car (this one is not fully paid off) but if the offer is attractive enough I could maybe be convinced.
Did you ask if they would be willing to give you a long-term extended warranty (for ANY failure) on the engine - something like 10 years/125K miles? If not, and it's an acceptable solution, give that a try. They would need to put it in print, of course;)

As far as I know it was, I spoke with the shop foreman again today and he said that Mazda has told them to redo the seals, so we shall see what happens.

I guess my question is more at this point what others have done in this situation. I have an open case with MNAO, they had offered to cover one of my car payments (not enough), danced around the idea of getting me into another Mazda (but no official numbers or offers made), but not much else. Just curious if anyone else has gone through this process and what your resolution was.
So the service advisor said Mazda authorized a second seal replacement. I might have missed the post but are you going to do that? Its a solid fix and your 2021 has the updated head and exhaust gasket.

Did you ask if they would be willing to give you a long-term extended warranty (for ANY failure) on the engine - something like 10 years/125K miles? If not, and it's an acceptable solution, give that a try. They would need to put it in print, of course;)
I did actually! My wife experienced a very similar issue on her GMC and they gave her the extended. Mazda corporate said nope, they won't do that. The solution on their end was to offer me one car payment since my car was (has been) in the shop for 30+ days.

So the service advisor said Mazda authorized a second seal replacement. I might have missed the post but are you going to do that? Its a solid fix and your 2021 has the updated head and exhaust gasket.
Hi sorry might not have mentioned it, was not sure how closely my story was being followed. Mazda wanted them to replace the oil sensor, but the shop foreman had observed the oil drop from our oil consumption test. We pushed back and were able to get them to authorize a second seal replacement.

Shop foreman is not sure what went wrong, whether faulty parts or workmanship but he is confident in the fix. So they are going through with that process as we speak. Honestly if it had just worked the way it was supposed to I would not be as frustrated as I am now.

This seal replacement is not rocket surgery. I have done this procedure on similar engines. It tedious, and you need to take your time but not difficult. And its pretty hard to botch it. But yours isnt the first one thats gone south after the fix. If done correctly, and with new valve seals the 2021 is rock solid.

The oil sensor is fine except that its set way way too high. The thing chimes at like 4 qts. Should be 2.5 to 3 like every other car out there

I did actually! My wife experienced a very similar issue on her GMC and they gave her the extended. Mazda corporate said nope, they won't do that. The solution on their end was to offer me one car payment since my car was (has been) in the shop for 30+ days.
Well, that's disappointing to say the least. And I can't understand what Mazda was thinking on that, because it would have been a zero immediate cost resolution for them, and also probable that the engine either would never fail, or you sell the vehicle before it does. Not to mention that it would have resulted in creating a happy Mazda customer. Very poor business sense on their part IMO.

Unfortunately, it's going to take quite a few thousand miles to confirm for certain that the fix is good (unless there's a repeat of what happened with the previous repair). Not a happy set of options for you to choose from, and I hope it works out ok for you, regardless of which way you go!

Well, that's disappointing to say the least. And I can't understand what Mazda was thinking on that, because it would have been a zero immediate cost resolution for them, and also probable that the engine either would never fail, or you sell the vehicle before it does. Not to mention that it would have resulted in creating a happy Mazda customer. Very poor business sense on their part IMO.

Unfortunately, it's going to take quite a few thousand miles to confirm for certain that the fix is good (unless there's a repeat of what happened with the previous repair). Not a happy set of options for you to choose from, and I hope it works out ok for you, regardless of which way you go!
I was surprised as well, the Mazda corporate office hasn't been super accommodating or helpful in getting this resolved. I guess as they see it, the car is being fixed under warranty, I have been provided a (smaller) car during the time my car is out, so perhaps they don't feel the need to do more.

Anyway, the shop foreman/service manager at my dealership has been a real hero about this. He gave me his personal cell, has been very responsive and seems to genuinely care. He said that he will speak with his district manager today so maybe there will be another option.

Back