2021 CX-5 GTR Oil Filter Question

erhayes

Contributor
:
2022CX5 PP
I intend to use the OEM oil filter on my vehicle for the first couple of oil changes and then switch to a Fram filter. I remember several different filters are made in different countries. Can someone school me on the OEM filters that my dealer might stock? Thank you Ed

Solution
So you bought a new 2021 CX-5 GTR?

The oil filter from factory on 2.5T is Japanese made Tokyo Roki PY8W-14-302. Unfortunately Mazda North American Operations have stopped supplying PY8W-14-302 since Dec. 2019 and it’s superseded by Thai made Denso 1WPY-14-302.

I wouldn’t use Fram filter, as aftermarket oil filters are one size for both 2.5T and 2.5L, whereas OEM’s have 2 different oil filters.

I have the Japanese filter already but whats the Wix kit part number so I can do the dilution check?
I believe the Wix kit is an oil collection kit so that you can send in the oil sample testing the fuel content for the possible fuel dilution issue.

Upvote 0
Is $20 the whole price or is there an extra fee when mail it in ? Was thinking of getting another test to compare to the Blackstone reports.
That is the total price. Its a little under $3 to mail on your dime the last time I sent one in. It comes with a TBN reading something you pay extra for at Blackstone. You can occasionally find them on Rock Auto like I did for $9.95 a kit! Below is what the Wix printout looks like.

Attachments

• UOS Havoline Pro DS.jpg
    UOS Havoline Pro DS.jpg
    126.6 KB · Views: 60
Last edited:
Upvote 0
That is the total price. Its a little under $3 to mail on your dime the last time I sent one in. It comes with a TBN reading something you pay extra for at Blackstone. You can occasionally find them on Rock Auto like I did for $9.95 a kit! Below is what the Wix printout looks like.
Thanks. That's a great price plus let's me compare labs.

Is that your real name or fake name? You might want to delete report and reload with your personal info blacked out.

Upvote 0
Thanks. That's a great price plus let's me compare labs.

Is that your real name or fake name? You might want to delete report and reload with your personal info blacked out.

Anyways will look at napa for a quick test and rockauto for the slower test since its delivered. Btw I temporarily put used warm oil in paper coffee cup but it wont contaminate the used oil from the plastic coating right?

Thanks

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Now the image wont load!

Anyways will look at napa for a quick test and rockauto for the slower test since its delivered. Btw I temporarily put used warm oil in paper coffee cup but it wont contaminate the used oil from the plastic coating right?

Thanks
Don't think they test oil for PTFE.
If they do, they'll wonder where the hell the plastic came from. You'll have scientist in lab coats visiting your house.

Upvote 0
Thanks all for the Partsouq recommendation.
IMG_5558.jpeg

IMG_5556.jpeg

I’ve got 12 Tokyo Roki filters on the way for my ‘23 2.5T. It came to about $12.50 a filter with shipping.
IMG_5557.jpeg

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Thanks all for the Partsouq recommendation.
View attachment 322475
View attachment 322476
I’ve got 12 Tokyo Roku filters on the way for my ‘23 2.5T. It came to about $12.50 a filter with shipping.
View attachment 322477
Let us know how soon you can receive your Tokyo Roki oil filters from partsouq.com in UAE. Honestly I’d just settle for Thai made OEM Denso oil filters on my 2.5L NA after my stock of Japanese Tokyo Roki oil filters (started with 23) are used up. 😉

Or I can add some Tokyo Roki oil filters on my order from partsouq.com when I need a new Oil Control Valve from them in the future.

Wow, this’s the most intensive comparison article between Japanese made Tokyo Roki oil filter and Thai made Denso oil filter! This make me feel like I want to get more Tokyo Roki PE01-14-302B oil filter for my 2016 CX-5 from partsouq.com in UAE after my stock of 23 Tokyo Roki PE01-14-302A’s collected few years ago have exhausted.

Yes, you still can get Japanese Tokyo Roki oil filters from partsouq.com in UAE (also on eBay), and you can get it within a week like you order the parts from US online sellers.

2021 CX-5 GTR Oil Filter Question

Actually I believe Thai made Denso (Toyota) oil filters are very good in quality and I won’t hesitate to use it once my Japanese made Tokyo Roki oil filters have run out. But there’re Mazda’s “Value Product” line maintenance parts used by Mazda dealers puzzled me as why Mazda wants to offer those cheaper and apparently lower quality Mexican made OEM PY8W-14-302-MV and PE01-14-302A-MV “Value” oil filters to confuse Mazda owners?

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Let us know how soon you can receive your Tokyo Roki oil filters from partsouq.com in UAE. Honestly I’d just settle for Thai made OEM Denso oil filters on my 2.5L NA after my stock of Japanese Tokyo Roki oil filters (started with 23) are used up. 😉

Or I can add some Tokyo Roki oil filters on my order from partsouq.com when I need a new Oil Control Valve from them in the future.
You’ve got it! The shipping is what gets ya. I was looking at 10.63 a piece for the Thai filters, free shipping over $100 from Med Center Mazda in GA. It’s about $30 extra ordering a dozen Tokyo Roki filters from the UAE. We’ll see if I’m still feeling this fancy in 60k miles XD

Upvote 0
In my opinion the Thai made filters are most likely good enough, but i'd rather pay a couple bucks more for the best of the best Japan filters knowing i'm giving the best quality maintenance parts to my engine.

Upvote 0
My feeling is a Fram TG or XG will service your Mazda just fine or even a Bosch Premium at 99 plus percent efficiency at 20 microns.
My feeling is those one-size-fit-all aftermarket oil filters can’t be the correct match to every spec designed for the engine. Otherwise why bother Mazda designed different oil filters for different engines, 2.5L NA or 2.5T.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
My feeling is a Fram TG or XG will service your Mazda just fine or even a Bosch Premium at 99 plus percent efficiency at 20 microns.

I would NOT be using an aftermarket filter on these Mazda engines. There are oil pressure tolerances specifically different for both the 2.5 NA and the 2.5T that aftermarket does NOT account for, and are not designed for a one size thread fits all application. You should be using the oem filters for these engines.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I got a bunch of Bosch premium filters for dirt cheap clearance through Amazon and used them all on my old 2 liter ‘13. Never did a UOA but I wasn’t too concerned with that little engine. I think they were $3 a pop? Screaming good deal on that and was very happy with them.
My feeling is those one-size-fit-all aftermarket oil filters can be the correct match to every spec designed for the engine. Otherwise why bother Mazda designed different oil filters for different engines, 2.5L NA or 2.5T.
Yrwei has me convinced. I have some Wix 57002 filters left but I’m going to keep using those on my mother in laws 2.5L NA engine. The fact that Mazda has a whole separate model filter for the 2.5 Turbo spooks me. I could use them on the turbo per Wix but better safe than sorry. A high end aftermarket filter plus 9% local sales tax is saving me $2 per oil change vs these OEM filters from overseas, so why risk it?

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Back